Having a hard time

I always start each morning well. I have my protein coffee and head to work. But once I get to work I find I have no time to stop n prepare lunch or dinner. I grab a plate of food from the lunch/dinner that the other employees have and none of it is healthy. I'm so weak minded! I have no will power to say NO.

Replies

• BoxerBrawler
    BoxerBrawler Posts: 2,032 Member
    Can you prep the night before? That way you can just grab and go in the morning. I do all of my food prep on Sundays. I have my early morning boxing class then head straight to the grocery store, come home and prep for a few hours. Everything for the week is ready to grab and/or heat up... Makes life very easy during the week.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    edited July 2016
    If you want to lose weight, start with how much you eat, not what you eat.

Either take the time to prepare food to take with you to work the night before, or eat less of whatever 'unhealthy' food is available.
  • cross2bear
    cross2bear Posts: 1,106 Member
    Plan, plan, plan - you know lunch time will come each day, right? so pack your lunch and avoid mindlessly eating what the other kids eat. You can make your own choices that will probably be much better for your goals. If you say you have no will power, then you wont - you are giving up control of your life to the whims of the world and other people - dont be such a sap! Take back control and use every opportunity to get what YOU want - progress to a weight loss goal. Dont let anyone or anything thwart you, not even your self.
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,734 Member
    No, you're not weak minded. You're just unprepared. I agree with @cushman5279 that meal prepping and planning is essential. If you don't have healthy choices with you, how can you expect to eat them?

Don't overwhelm yourself. Just keep it simple. But the foods you normally eat that you like and put them in pre-proportioned containers or baggies and have them easily accessible. Then it's just a matter of being consistent and learning new habits.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    edited July 2016
    So stop trying to have will power, and start preparing. Self-control is fatiguing. No one but you can prep your lunches and pre-log your dinner.

ETA unless you literally pay for a company to do it for you. Which you can.
  • BoxerBrawler
    Yes, what she said (above). You have to find the will-power within yourself and that goes for everything in life, not just diet and nutrition.
  • BoxerBrawler
    To give you an idea... Each Sunday I stock my fridge with mason jars full of cut up fresh fruits and veggies. A couple of bags of fresh baby spinach, a container full of hard boiled eggs and one or two proteins (chicken/pork) that I cook plain so during the week we can make whatever we want with it. For my husband I prepare five containers of overnight oats and five egg sangies. I do some salad jars and always have things on hand such as a variety of nuts, fresh fruit, etc. A few healthy snackie type of stuff. And I agree with what BZAH10 said... food prep is critical to success! And yes, keep it simple, it doesn't have to be a science project. There is nothing wrong with eating the same things for as long as you enjoy them. There have been weeks where I eat grilled chicken and a big pile of steamed veggies for dinner every night before I change it up.
  • Pam_1965
    Pam_1965 Posts: 137 Member
    I always prep for the work week on Sundays. During the school year I always eat a huge salad for lunch. My students are always jealous because it looks so good. I chop all my vegetables and store in separate containers. I came up with a Big *kitten* Salad recipe and use those same measurements each night as I get it ready for the next day. I put the greens in one container and all the rest in another. I bring a large glass bowl with me to work and mix it all together. I like to add pineapple, black beans, chopped up string cheese, and chopped up almonds. I always include a serving of chicken and warm it before I put it in the salad. I always use the same basics, which are included in My Recipe, and then just add anything extra I throw in to my diary.

I pre-log everything the night before, including any snacks I take with me. I pre-measure almonds and put in Snack Baggies, then just grab one in the morning. I actually have a food scale at work, too, so if I take a banana I can measure it there.

Good luck!
  • doittoitgirl
    doittoitgirl Posts: 157 Member
    Everyone is going to tell you to prep your meals and this is crucial. But I get prepping meals can be daunting as well when you are busy and have a lot of stuff to do when you're not working. It was hard for my husband and I to get in the habit of pre-logging and prepping our meals and not getting fast food. So we started out real slow. First we got into the habit of packing really healthy snacks so by the time we got to lunch/dinner we weren't starving. Snacks take like 2 minutes to measure and pack. And then a week later we started packing a snack and something easy like a sandwich. And when that got easier we started packing "mason jar" lunches like quinoa salads and overnight oats for the whole week instead of 1 day. Now its so much a habit we don't think about it and all our food is ready to go for at least a couple days worth of lunch and dinner. Don't get too hard on yourself if you eat some "naughty" things. Good habits take a little while to stick!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 28,053 Member
    I always start each morning well. I have my protein coffee and head to work. But once I get to work I find I have no time to stop n prepare lunch or dinner. I grab a plate of food from the lunch/dinner that the other employees have and none of it is healthy. I'm so weak minded! I have no will power to say NO.

I work from home now, but when I worked in an office I spent a few hours on Sundays cooking and packaging food to get me through Wednesday or Thursday. That way in the AM I could just grab lunch and snacks and when I got home just had to heat up dinner.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 28,053 Member
    Pam_1965 wrote: »
    I always prep for the work week on Sundays. During the school year I always eat a huge salad for lunch. My students are always jealous because it looks so good. I chop all my vegetables and store in separate containers. I came up with a Big *kitten* Salad recipe and use those same measurements each night as I get it ready for the next day. I put the greens in one container and all the rest in another. I bring a large glass bowl with me to work and mix it all together. I like to add pineapple, black beans, chopped up string cheese, and chopped up almonds. I always include a serving of chicken and warm it before I put it in the salad. I always use the same basics, which are included in My Recipe, and then just add anything extra I throw in to my diary.

I pre-log everything the night before, including any snacks I take with me. I pre-measure almonds and put in Snack Baggies, then just grab one in the morning. I actually have a food scale at work, too, so if I take a banana I can measure it there.

Good luck!

I also like to warm up chicken/meat before adding it to salad :)
  • SolotoCEO
    SolotoCEO Posts: 293 Member
    Seems like you are defeated before you start. Weight-loss is a mind-set as much as anything. If you truly want a healthier lifestyle - it's easy to accomplish. Plan your food, prep your food (one of the above commenters says they do they entire week prep on Sunday - a great idea), and stick to your lifestyle. If I read your profile correctly you lost about 60 lbs with WLS - you've already lost almost 1/2 your weight....now to the next half!
  • sohifirefly
    sohifirefly Posts: 55 Member
    If you don't have time to prep there are already prepared foods that are pretty healthy that you can pick up on the weekend and have all week. My Fit Food. Perfect Fit Meals. I can find both of these in nearby grocery stores. You may even check online to see if they deliver.