ow much muscle hurt is too much muscle hurt

Hey guys! I've been on this sight for about a month scoping stuff out. I'm a 27 year old stay at home mom, I take care of other kids and have packed on the pounds like nobody's business! I've had enough and have been working on going from 5'9 210 to at least 160 in six months. My kids are gone this week so I've really been going for it so I can get a good head start and work out my routine. So it's been so far six days of working out for at least an hour and a half every day. Cardio, weights, at the gym and at home/around my neighborhood. The only thing that's driving me crazy is my arms. I did two bouts of work outs with my arms this week and they are KILLING me. Like really tight and I want to get back to arms again but I'm scared I'm either a) pushing myself too hard or more likely b) doing my workouts improperly and putting all the strain on my arms. I just want to see everyone's opinion on when it's okay to keep going or a way to decrease the muscle pain so I can keep going. Thanks in advance

Replies

• gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,590 Member
    I work out every *other* day. Repetitive strain injuries are not my friend. Maybe this can change at a higher fitness level, but right now, I think if you are having pain and swelling beyond just the "dang I can tell I worked out" then it is time to heal up a bit.
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Assuming it's muscle pain from DOMS and not joint pain or a muscle tear then there's no problem training when your muscles are already sore. I've been doing that since 2012. :D
  • mihai_vuurwerk
    mihai_vuurwerk Posts: 35 Member
    It would probably be helpful if you tell us what part of your arms is killing you.
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    I'm fairly fit and I sure as heck don't work out every day. I work out every OTHER day at most, and sometimes need to give myself TWO days off inbetween workouts if I'm that sore.

• melissafougie
    melissafougie Posts: 5 Member
    It would probably be helpful if you tell us what part of your arms is killing you.

my triceps. thanks for everyone getting back so quick. you're all super wonderful :D
  • mihai_vuurwerk
    mihai_vuurwerk Posts: 35 Member

my triceps. thanks for everyone getting back so quick. you're all super wonderful :D

Then you've most likely overworked it. Wait for the soreness to go away and you're good to go.