August (2016) Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    8/1- 4.01
    8/1- 9.02<---Daily Double. If it isn't thunderstorming in the morning, I will not be happy.
    8/2- REST <- Recovering from the INSANE daily double
    8/3-4.1
    8/4- 7.82
    8/5- 4
    8/6- 13.11
    8/7- REST
    8/8- REST <- beginning of cutback week
    8/9: 5.01
    8/10-5.13
    8/11- 7.02
    8/12- REST
    8/13- 9.08
    8/14- REST
    8/15- 4.08
    8/16- 9.0
    8/17- Forced rest day<- 25 minutes of Kayaking for XT
    8/18- 9.01
    8/19- 4.05
    8/20- 10.83
    8/20- 2.4

Total: 107.74/125

Run 2 notes: I almost didn't count this one, but darn it, it was a heck of a slog, so I'm gonna. I ran the Rampage at the Ridge The course actually was 5k, but with my GPS pausing when I slowed to wait for people, and taking time to start again, I don't think everything got recorded. However, I'm only counting the recorded mileage. over the run, there was about 760 feet (~232m) of elevation, basically going to the top of a ski resort, and then back down, with some major up and down in the middle. It was an awesome run with 9 of my coworkers, and I think I'd do it again next year, despite nailing my but hard on a rock going down the slide at the end.
  • 5BeautifulDays
    5BeautifulDays Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    Things I have accomplished in the last few days:
    -- Applied for two jobs and interviewed for one
    -- Taken a CPR class and gotten certified
    -- Shopped for and bought a new-to-her car for my daughter who just got her license

Things I have not accomplished:
    -- Running (well--I did yesterday, two more miles "walk-jogging" with my 11 year old who is learning to run). This is making me sad and possibly fat. I would sure like to get back to my normal schedule! I signed up for a 5K on Labor Day--hopefully it won't kill me!

exercise.png

• _nikkiwolf_
    _nikkiwolf_ Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    @kristinegift I had to look up what crisco was - I was thinking it might be some fancy lotion, and then google showed me pictures of blocks of chip fat :p I buy a "foot butter" that contains soy oil and palm oil (like crisco, apparently), but also shea butter, sal butter, glycerin and essential oils, but I've never tried wrapping my feet after applying it. I just dangle my feet over the side of the couch until it's safe to walk agian.

@luluinca All the best for your 5k race tomorrow!

@ariceroni Ugh, sorry about your paper. I did a physics PhD too (finished almost exactly two years ago), so I can imagine how much work you put in that draft! Some collaborators are a nightmare to work with... I hope re-doing the analysis with the new data will be smooth - and that you can brun off your frustration about them with a long run soon again!

@AdrianChr92 That video about the "iron nun" is so amazing, thanks for posting it! I just watched an interview where she sais she only started running at age 47, and did her first iron man at 55... Okay, so I still have a few years in which I can learn proper swimming technique and start doing tri's ;)

@Orphia Love the "Embrace the suck" design!
    I recently learned that you can get shoe lace tags with motivational slogans. I'm thinking ordering a custom one with that slogan would be fun :)

@MNLittleFinn Great run this morning! How was the mud run?

@MobyCarp Amazing distance! Also amazing that you can do 22miles in 3 hours in that weather, wow!

@ereck44 I hope your knee will be fine after a night of rest, but if not, you are right: better be careful than doing something stupid and making it worse.

@katharmonic Congratulations on the great 5k!
  • MNLittleFinn
    edited August 2016
    Options
    @_nikkiwolf_ the run was pretty fun. It took 2 hours, but that's because another teacher and I would run between obstacles, then have to wait for everyone to catch up. I think I could have done it in a little over an hour alone. It was brutal but awesome.

Edit to add: the shoes worked great. Really glad I got them
  • aftonthecruiser
    aftonthecruiser Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Just ran 2 1/2 today
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    @_nikkiwolf_ awesome run
  • greenolivetree
    greenolivetree Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    Hi all. I'll update my log from a computer Monday. I'm basically killing myself slowly with walking and other low calorie burn workouts- trying to lose a few pounds while my knee/lower hamstring heals. So frustrating. I'm ready to run :(

@_nikkiwolf_ Love it that you googled Crisco. Great run too. I have no clue how long my watch would last for a super long run as I've only gone 8 miles.

@aftonthecruiser Great job :)
  • katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    Options
    @_nikkiwolf_ Great job on the distance PR. Way to power through it mentally.
  • luluinca
    luluinca Posts: 2,899 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    @_nikkiwolf_ What a great run and a terrific record of your thoughts while running.

Thanks for the encouragement for tomorrow. I'm excited to run my first race. @shanaber is running too and her daughter and niece. It'll be fun meeting all of them. They're doing the 10K but my SIL and I are doing the 5K. I signed up for a 10K in November though to run with my daughter and her fiance..........or rather behind them......LOL

• 9voice9
    9voice9 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    81.14% of goal

01-Aug: 5.11 miles
    02-Aug: 5.38 miles
    03-Aug: 5.57 miles - Daily Double
    04-Aug: 8.41 miles - Daily Double
    05-Aug: 5.69 miles
    06-Aug: 5.08 miles
    07-Aug: <Life Day>
    08-Aug: 5.60 miles
    09-Aug: 7.35 miles - Daily Double
    10-Aug: 3.40 miles
    11-Aug: 6.87 miles
    12-Aug: 7.29 miles - Daily Double
    13-Aug: 8.68 miles
    14-Aug: <Life Day>
    15-Aug: 8.80 miles
    16-Aug: 8.16 miles - Daily Double
    17-Aug: 5.52 miles
    18-Aug: 7.08 miles - Daily Double
    19-Aug: 5.02 miles
    20-Aug: 4.59 miles - Dreadmill
    21-Aug: <Life Day>
    22-Aug:
    23-Aug:
    24-Aug:
    25-Aug:
    26-Aug:
    27-Aug:
    28-Aug: <Life Day>
    29-Aug:
    30-Aug:
    31-Aug:

exercise.png

Upcoming Races:
    27-Aug: John 316 Cancer Awareness 5K, Lizella
    05-Sep: Labor Day Road Race 10K
    10-Sep: Glazin' a Trail Donut Run 5K, Centerville
    17-Sep: Joshua's Wish 5K, Macon OR
    Race for Education 5K, Warner Robins
    24-Sep: Georgia Golden Olympics 5K
    01-Oct: Terry's Run 5K, Eastman
    22-Oct: S.C.A.R.E. 5K, Macon
    05-Nov: Ridge Run 5K, Macon
    12-Nov: FUMC 5K, Warner Robins
    25-Mar: Cherry Blossom Road Race 10K, Macon
    08-Apr: Running for Ronald 10K/15K, Macon

Didn't feel it (again). I think I'm just flippin' tired of the heat/humidity. Or maybe I just needed another rest day. Or something. Anyway, I turned off the alarm this morning, and got up slowly around 9:30. Lazed around a bit, and when SWMBO went to work at school, I went to the gym. Did an hour on the dreadmill, then my arms circuit. Tomorrow is a real rest day. And the forecast is for lows in the low 70s to high 60s overnight for the next week or so. I'm gonna push thru this malaise, and enjoy this running life again.
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    One thing through mud run reminded me of today: I've been neglecting my upper body. Looks like I might have to start a morning run evening lift/kettle bell schedule after my September HM. Hard part will be finding a balance where I don't lose too much cardiovascular
  • mom3over40
    mom3over40 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    8/1 .......... Rest
    8/2 .....5
    8/3 .....3.1
    8/4 ...13.7
    8/5 .....2.2
    8/6 .....3.1
    8/7 .......... Hiked 5+ miles
    8/8 .......... Rest
    8/9 .....8.1
    8/10 ........ Skipped...
    8/11 .10...
    8/12 ........ Skipped...
    8/13 ...2.4
    8/14 ........ Rest
    8/15 ...6.2
    8/16 ........ Rest
    8/17 ...3.8
    8/18 ...3.2

Total according to Strava: 64

Decided to take this "warm-up" run before tomorrow's half marathon. I chose to do a shorter and flat path. I am getting very excited, anxious, nervous, restless about tomorrow's race :sweat_smile:

exercise.png

• katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    Options
    Good luck tomorrow @mom3over40! Have fun and let us know how it goes.
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    @_nikkiwolf_ I've heard that most US marathon training programs top out at 20 miles, and most European programs top out at 30 km. It seems the science of how much less than a full marathon to run in training is imprecise, and each side of the pond picked a nice round number. I've done programs where the longest run is 22 miles (~35 km) mostly because those are the programs I found that have human coach support. Whatever works for the trainee is good.

Is your watch a Garmin? If so, you might want to contact customer support. They replaced my Garmin 640 when the battery started failing on 13-15 mile runs, even though it was out of warranty. I paid the cost of shipping the old watch to them, and got free shipping (in the US) back because I wasn't in a hurry. I *was* in a hurry to have a working watch, so I bought a 630 locally at full retail price (ouch!) to have it when I needed a watch; but now I have the replacement 620 as a backup if something happens to my 630.

@MNLittleFinn - You might not need to spend a lot of time on upper body. I do 3 sets of pull-ups and 3 sets of push-ups every morning, but am not consistent with other upper body strength training. I get a bit of core work out of the pull-ups and push-ups, and my arms don't go totally weak on me. Over time, the number of reps has increased. Vanity has me doing half as many pull-ups as push-ups, and push-ups greater than my age. A set of 68 push-ups takes a bit over a minute; a set of 34 pull-ups takes less than a minute. Having a pull-up bar in a convenient location at home is crucial; otherwise, I never would have advanced from being able to do 2 pull-ups to being able to do a more substantial set.
  • HonuNui
    HonuNui Posts: 1,464 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    August goal.....run

8/1 3.12....and I struggled through that!
    8/2 snorkel 4 hours
    8/3 life
    8/4 more life
    8/5 3.15
    8/6 4.00
    8/7 lazy (can't blame life) (however, I DID mow the 2 acres and muck out the chicken coop, so I wasn't a complete slug....)
    8/8 5.83
    8/9 snorkel 3 hours
    8/10 3.2
    8/11 snorkel 2 hours
    8/12 3.30
    8/13 3.57
    8/14 rest
    8/15 4.10
    8/16 couldn't
    8/17 5.87
    8/18 3.20
    8/19 rest
    8/20 7.50...mucked the chicken coop....racked the new batch of mango wine......baked bread......

Total 46.84

Upcoming races:
    SHEPower Virtual Half: July 18
    Las Vegas RocknRoll Virtual 5k runs--making the band
    ......Guitar Solo 6/28 3.85
    ......Drum Solo 7/21
    ......Lead Singer 8/20
    Las Vegas RocknRoll Half 11/13/16

Ticker is my goal for 2016 and accumulation to date:
    exercise.png
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    2 August – 10.1 km
    4 August – Body Balance then 13 km
    6 August – 8.1 km including parkrun
    7 August – 21.3 km
    9 August – 10.3 km
    11 August – 10.1 km
    13 August – 8.3 km including parkrun
    14 August – 15 km
    16 August – 12 km
    17 August – 10 km
    18 August – 10 km
    20 August – 10.7 km including parkrun
    21 August – 12 km

Goal: 161 km / 100 miles
    Total: 150.9 km / 93.8 miles

12 km this morning in some light rain. So close to my goal and medal!

Really tempted to go back out again this afternoon and do the final 9 km. :smiley:

• juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    Options
    Too all Music Fans Final Tragically Hip Concert Live streaming
  • Orphia
    Options
    juliet3455 wrote: »
    Orphia wrote: »
    DB4DA35A-7F05-4FAD-9A7B-A8F6FDDE316F_zpsueycskol.jpg

Looks like the Logo for a 2nd shirt.
    Editted to add @MNLittleFinn Great Minds think alike ?

:smiley:

Thanks!

I might make one at Zazzle.com.

You can create a variety of items if you have the image.

If people make their own, we don't need to worry about choosing long sleeve or short sleeve or tank, etc. People can choose what they like.

http://www.zazzle.com.au/create

(Hopefully that will go to the right country store for whoever clicks.)
  • Orphia
    Options
    20% off men's Kippo shorts right now:

http://us9.campaign-archive2.com/?u=15bbbd3dba802f076c6982920&id=d4120aeef2&e=aa829c7935

CODE: TIME420

http://kipposhorts.com/

(They're awesome shorts with a phone pocket. I follow them awaiting their release of women's shorts.)