When to fail at deadlifts

Options
I've been doing Stronglifts since May. Before I started I had never done deadlifts. During that time, my lifts have gone from 100 pounds to 260, and I have never failed or had a problem completing a set, and I increase weight every time. So this may sound like a dumb question, but --- how do I know when to bail on deadlifts? For squats, I was advised early on to not grind to much, so I bail if my back starts to bend or if I go too slow. But for deadlifts, I worry that I will try one some day and hurt myself (I'm really careful about form, but still). So my question is --- what tells you to bail on a pull or not to try another rep? Is is the bar coming up slow? Just feeling too damn heavy?

Replies

• CarlydogsMom
    CarlydogsMom Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    I would say it's one of those "you know it when it happens" rather than a description of key indicators. But, once you really have your form down and know your body relative to that form, when that starts to go....it's time to carefully but quickly let, or guide, the bar down.

• SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    For me, i bail if i'm stuck at the sticking point too long and not moving, and i feel my form failing. Generally as long as the bar is moving i stay with it. If it stops moving or drops down, i bail. But really this only happens when i'm warmed up and prepared for that grinding 1RM such as at a meet. In training, i never have a working weight that is so heavy i have to bail. I do have grueling working weights, but im careful not to cross that line , unless i've prepared for it and its a 1rm max day. Even then , my trainer is watching and wont put on more than i can successfully lift. So i think to sum up your question, dont lift so heavy you have to bail. Unless you are testing for a 1rm, dont go that heavy. Pick a comfortable weight that is challenging and you can keep your form and get a good workout. And also when you get heavy, dont pull sets. pull singles and rest/reset between lifts.
  • julie_broadhead
    julie_broadhead Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Wow! Congrats on your progress so far:-) Every time I have failed a deadlift, it just wouldn't come up off the ground.
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    When you break form. I fail either because of my grip (most often), or my upper back begins to bow (less often). The funny thing about deads though, you know you failed if the bar doesn't move or the weights come crashing down
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,982 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    As others have said or suggested, if you can't finish (or even start) the lift w/o straining excessively and/or breaking form, the bar is obviously too heavy for you. So, just let go of the bar.