Pre Diabetic Meals

Options
Luna3828
Luna3828 Posts: 21 Member
Looking for meals for pre diabetics. No clue what to have it or what to avoid. I know there are experts in this field here on MFP and if that's you please share your meals, grocery list of do's and don'ts. That sugar needs to get lowered.

Replies

• seussbaby
    seussbaby Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    check into ketogenic diet.. big reduction in carbs which convert to sugar, and increase in protein and good fats. good luck!
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Can you get a referral to a registered dietician? They could give you a meal plan. Basically fewer carbs and more veggies. Less pasta, bread, dessert and more veggies & protein. There's not much you actually have to eliminate completely.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Eat like a diabetic to keep your sugars in normal range. Here are the top three tips that meant the most to me at the beginning.

Here's how to balance your plate:

http://www.diabetes.org/food-and-fitness/food/planning-meals/create-your-plate/

Never skip breakfast, and have breakfast at the same time every day.

Always include a little protein in your meal. Protein and fat take longer to metabolize so they help your blood sugars remain stable.
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options
    seussbaby wrote: »
    check into ketogenic diet.. big reduction in carbs which convert to sugar, and increase in protein and good fats. good luck!

This is a bad idea. DON'T do this.
    Ketoacidosis is what happens when ketosis goes too far. Ketones build up in your blood, and it becomes acidic. Ketoacidosis can cause a coma or death. People with diabetes can get ketoacidosis, or diabetic ketoacidosis (DKA), when they don't take enough insulin. They can also get DKA when they're sick or injured, or they don't get enough fluids and become dehydrated.

Some people without diabetes can get ketoacidosis, too. It's caused by alcoholism, starvation, or an overactive thyroid. A healthy low-carb diet shouldn't cause a problem.

Learn about a pre-diabtic diet first. Talk to professionals first. It's never a good idea to learn about it here. You don't know who is really who. But I do like getting advice based on what I already know.