Options
2»

Replies

• CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Vegplotter wrote: »
    You probably don't want to hear this but ... If you aren't losing weight after a month or so, then you are simply eating too much. You are going to have to reduce your calorie consumption.

not true for everyone. I hit a 6 month plateau and I had been weighing(on a scale) and logging everything for the last (almost )2 years. I have dropped my calories even more and did that for a few months,still no loss, tried eating different things(less carbs) still nothing. I worked out more and ate back less calories than I burned back,nada. I had blood work done and everything is fine,no thyroid issues,no hormone issues,etc.Did IF(16:8_ again nothing. I lose so slowly that it takes me a month to lose a half lb.there were times I was eating less than my BMR(which for me was not ideal) and again slower than molasses weight loss. I only need to lose another 15-23 lbs to be at my health weight range,nothing was working. so I figured to heck with it Im going to eat maintenance calories or close to it and just exercise more.I seem to retain water for long periods of time even when my sodium and carb levels are low.I also am not going to eat less than my BMR just to lose weight. I have tried everything everyone ever suggested and it got to the point the last 6-8 months that I said Im done.I have even tried keto and cant stay under 50g net carbs a day. I just cant,I have no energy even after the"keto flu" phase is gone.
  • eringrace95_
    eringrace95_ Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    daniip_la wrote: »
    3 weeks, it just ended yesterday and I lost 3lbs in two days. But my period right before the plateau was wonky, so I'm guessing that's what caused it. I know I was 100% accurate with CICO the entire time, as my Fitbit has been pretty spot-on for over two months before the plateau started.

Yeah I agree!
  • eringrace95_
    Options
    ErinSot wrote: »
    You probably don't want to hear this but ... If you aren't losing weight after a month or so, then you are simply eating too much. You are going to have to reduce your calorie consumption.

I appreciate this post. I have however been logging and weighing everything and wearing a HR monitor 24/7 which accurately calculates my calories out. So ya lol

Electronic devices are working on an algorithm that is based on a best guess, and/or the norm (average) for people in general. There is no affordable device that is 100% accurate, so what VegPlotter said is true.

If you are stuck, eat a little less next month. Your device is not fool-proof, and if it is in fact an HR monitor, those are only *somewhat* effective - and that's if you use them only for steady-state cardio AND you have your VO2 max accurately entered into the device AND if you are deducting your RMR from that number. They are not meant to be a 24 hour monitoring device.

Plus, you are close to your goal and it is really tricky when close to goal. Not much food to be eaten, and zero room for error. Ask me how I know. I've been bouncing around the last five pounds for months. Like four months - and I've been logging food since 2007.

Hello! It's my Fitbit Charge HR and I assure you it's been accurate thus far so I'm sure the past month will have been no different lol
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    So far I've been bouncing around 121-122 for almost 4 weeks and it's driving me crazy!! I'm weighing and logging everything and according to my Fitbit my deficits have been where they should be.

I'm so impatient

I've had a lot of plateaus in my lifetime, some of them for years. The reason I say this is because a plateau is the same things as eating at maintenance.

Once I figured out how to create that calorie deficit and stick to it, those plateaus disappeared pretty quickly.

4 weeks is not a plateau at all, that's just an example of natural weight fluctuation and the fact weight loss is not linear. Just tighten up however you estimate your calorie balance. For many people this means logging everything you eat and drink, weighing food, eating only a portion of your exercise calories back. :)
  • eringrace95_
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    So far I've been bouncing around 121-122 for almost 4 weeks and it's driving me crazy!! I'm weighing and logging everything and according to my Fitbit my deficits have been where they should be.

I'm so impatient

I've had a lot of plateaus in my lifetime, some of them for years. The reason I say this is because a plateau is the same things as eating at maintenance.

Once I figured out how to create that calorie deficit and stick to it, those plateaus disappeared pretty quickly.

4 weeks is not a plateau at all, that's just an example of natural weight fluctuation and the fact weight loss is not linear. Just tighten up however you estimate your calorie balance. For many people this means logging everything you eat and drink, weighing food, eating only a portion of your exercise calories back. :)

Thanks for this post. Very insightful!
  • JoenDeb1958
    JoenDeb1958 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Bxqtie116 wrote: »
    Mine was 7-8 months. I would lose and regain the same 3-4 lbs. For most people, it's a simple CICO, but for me, it's more to it than that. Fortunately I finally found what works for me.

What did u do? I lose n gain the same 2lbs all the time.
  • Bxqtie116
    Bxqtie116 Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    Bxqtie116 wrote: »
    Mine was 7-8 months. I would lose and regain the same 3-4 lbs. For most people, it's a simple CICO, but for me, it's more to it than that. Fortunately I finally found what works for me.

What did u do? I lose n gain the same 2lbs all the time.

I started the 16:8 intermittent fast where I fast for 16 hours and eat all meals and snacks in an 8 hour window. I believe it's 12 hours from your last meal that your body starts to burn off the fat stores. The more time in the fast, the more fat you burn. Some days I come under my 1500 calories as I can't finish my food. It's definitely helped me to have better control of my snacking. I skip breakfast so it's easier to get in my calories from 2 main meals and a few snacks.
  • biggsterjackster
    biggsterjackster Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Never had a Plateau, don't believe it happens.
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    I haven't really ever had an unplanned plateau. I have eaten at maintenance for a bit, though, which is why I say "unplanned". I'm OCD about weighing everything though, and trying to be accurate with my exercise calories. Never been a problem thus far.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,080 Member
    Options

I appreciate this post. I have however been logging and weighing everything and wearing a HR monitor 24/7 which accurately calculates my calories out. So ya lol

Electronic devices are working on an algorithm that is based on a best guess, and/or the norm (average) for people in general. There is no affordable device that is 100% accurate, so what VegPlotter said is true.

If you are stuck, eat a little less next month. Your device is not fool-proof, and if it is in fact an HR monitor, those are only *somewhat* effective - and that's if you use them only for steady-state cardio AND you have your VO2 max accurately entered into the device AND if you are deducting your RMR from that number. They are not meant to be a 24 hour monitoring device.

Plus, you are close to your goal and it is really tricky when close to goal. Not much food to be eaten, and zero room for error. Ask me how I know. I've been bouncing around the last five pounds for months. Like four months - and I've been logging food since 2007.

Hello! It's my Fitbit Charge HR and I assure you it's been accurate thus far so I'm sure the past month will have been no different lol

Oh, so you were just venting? Well carry on.

• samchez0
    samchez0 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Currently in month 2 :( the only person to blame for it is me though. I've been eating horribly, especially on weekends, and not exercising like I should.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »

I'm so impatient

Thanks for this post. Very insightful!

My pleasure, Erin. :)
  • terrinicolefit
    terrinicolefit Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    You either need a change in your diet or exercise routine OR you need to stop looking at the scale and measure body fat instead to see if you've really hit a plateau. I've been sitting at the same weight (give or take 5lbs) for the past year but I dropped my body fat from 21% to 13% (was doing a mock comp diet). I looked completely different but the scale never really changed. If you really have hit a plateau, it's because you're body needs changes to your exercise or diet (I reccomend iifym.com to determine how many calories and macros you should be eating). I hope this helps!!!