Does anyone ignore the calorie counter?

Options
KarlyHK
KarlyHK Posts: 114 Member
Does anyone ignore the calorie counter and mainly only pays attention to the carb and protein counter?

I'm new to this app.

Replies

• cinnag4225
    cinnag4225 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Calories first, sodium second (usually; I've been a bit lazy on this front the last week or so), sugar third. My protein and carbs are normally in a good range, so I don't worry about them.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Calories first for me too! Macros fall where they lay.
  • fishshark
    fishshark Posts: 1,886 Member
    Options
    calories.. try to reach my protein goal dgaf on fat and carbs
  • littlechiaseed
    littlechiaseed Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I am gonna try just focusing on macro goals right now see how that goes
  • Drmfslx123
    Drmfslx123 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    No way tho, I always keep tracking my calories
  • thatdesertgirl777
    thatdesertgirl777 Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    I've found that focusing on calories is what gives me results. Tweaking macros has never made a difference for me.
  • itsthehumidity
    itsthehumidity Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is about calories first. Most of us are here to lose weight, and so most of us are going to pay attention to calories.

Most are also probably paying attention to protein, and then I assume filling in the rest of their calories with reasonable amounts of both fat and carbs. But, that's not your question.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Well, if you are within your macros you are automatically within your calories because macros is what makes the calories. Personally I go by calories first and foremost because hitting all macros perfectly is stressful for me. I have a quick glance at my protein, but that's about it.

If ignoring the calories makes you feel better then go for it.
  • maplesyrup10
    maplesyrup10 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    This has been great to read because I have been using this app for a while now and really only paid attention to the calories. I never really took the sodium/carb/sugar/protein "warnings" and goals into count.
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    Options
    Calories - if you want to lose weight.
  • littlechiaseed
    littlechiaseed Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I am gonna try just focusing on macro goals right now see how that goes

If you're counting macros then you are also counting calories by default. I find it much easier to hit one calorie goal than micro managing 3 different macros.

Congrats dude
  • cgvet37
    cgvet37 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    Protein and carbs are the most important to me.
  • JC77721
    JC77721 Posts: 65 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Macros. Some food labels have innacurate calorie measurements and as more food is added to myfitnesspal, the more innacurate the calories can become.

What I do is to wait until about 100 calories are remaining, then I grab a calculator, multiply the carbs and protein grams I have consumed so far by 4, and fat by 9, then sum the results and it gives me a more accurare calorie measurement. Sometimes the difference in calories as compared with those the app gives me is up to 100 calories! (at least in my case); that's an extra small greek yogurt I could happily eat.

I would not recommend this technique to anyone if your only goal is to lose or weight gain. I only do it because I want to build muscle and I count my calories as accurate as I can
  • callumwalker1995
    callumwalker1995 Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Macros...don't pay attention to your calories...MFP does not calculate all the nutritional info, for example look at my diary, it says I have gone over my calories today by 100+ yet my macros are still behind for the daily total