Vegan low calorie protein sources

Options
Hi
I want to start to reduce animal based protein sources in my diet but I'm not keen on meat substitutes.

Which foods rather than protein powders would give me the best protein% to calories?

Replies

• pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    Options
    How do you feel about egg whites? And if you don't like powders or meat substitutes, then you're left with beans, lentils, and nuts as a protein source basically. Vegetables and fruits have very little.
  • littlechiaseed
    littlechiaseed Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Tofu, seitan, tempeh, edamame
  • littlechiaseed
    Options
    How do you feel about egg whites? And if you don't like powders or meat substitutes, then you're left with beans, lentils, and nuts as a protein source basically. Vegetables and fruits have very little.

Eggs are an animal based protein
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    Options
    Beans - don't hate them because they are beautiful
  • pinggolfer96
    Options

I know but they said they wanted to reduce their animal protein intake, they never said eliminate
  • tludvik
    tludvik Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hemp seeds have 10g protein per 3 tablespoons. You can sprinkle them on your food, blend in smoothies, add to homemade granola, etc.
  • fr33sia12
    fr33sia12 Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    tludvik wrote: »
    Hemp seeds have 10g protein per 3 tablespoons. You can sprinkle them on your food, blend in smoothies, add to homemade granola, etc.

Hemp seeds are high in calories though, 174 calories for 3 tablespoons.
  • CincyNeid
    CincyNeid Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options
    Calories are only going to come from three places. Protein, Fat, and Carbs. You really cannot get anything low in calories, but high in protein since Protein is a source of calories.

I'm not Vegan, or vegetarian for that matter. . But I do use Vega Green Protein for a protein substitute and it's okay, on flavor.

Green Peas. 14g per one cup, Quinoa. Nuts and Nut Butter, Beans, Tempeh and tofu, Edamame,
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the reply's, I'll look in to the ones suggested. I've never tasted Tempeh or seitan before so might start with them.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options

she just said she wanted to reduce her animal sourced protein...she didn't say anything about going full vegan or anything.
  • littlechiaseed
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

she just said she wanted to reduce her animal sourced protein...she didn't say anything about going full vegan or anything.

Vegan protein is in title.
  • CincyNeid
    CincyNeid Posts: 1,249 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options

Hi
    I want to start to reduce animal based protein sources in my diet but I'm not keen on meat substitutes.

Which foods rather than protein powders would give me the best protein% to calories?

quoted for emphasis
  • AnnieintheN0rth
    AnnieintheN0rth Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    http://yumuniverse.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/YumUniverse_Plant_Protein_Chart2.jpg

This chart might help.

I'm in the same boat as you. Not 100% vegan yet but slowly getting there. I find nut butters, rices (esp. wild rice), tahini (which I use to make salad dressing and hummus) and nutritional yeast are great. Nutritional yeast can be sprinkled on ANYTHING, in soups, stews, salad, over your breakfast cereal, etc. If you add it to sauces it gives a rich, cheese-y flavour, that's pretty much the only way I weaned myself off cheese!

Good Luck!
  • pinggolfer96
    Options

CincyNeid wrote: »

Hi

quoted for emphasis

Lol thank you!! Haha
    Attention to detail :wink:
  • lgammy
    lgammy Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Beans, lentils, split peas, etc.