Instead of losing weight, I gained weight! What could be happening?

Hello! I've been eating around 1200-1300 kcal a day for about one month now. I'm also exercising and I make sure to eat all the calories back.

Two weeks after starting my new routine, I weighed myself and was really happy to find out that I lost 2,2 kg (~4,85 lbs) and was weighting 59 kg. My initial weight was 60,1 kg( 132,5 lbs).
Yesterday, I weighed myself again and for my surprise, my weight had changed to 62,2 kg, which means I gained around 3kg. I'm really upset as I didn't really change anything on my diet and habits. :neutral:

My height is ~161 cm(5'3'').

Any help or advice is really appreciated. :smiley:

Replies

• Awillz_Conqueror
    Awillz_Conqueror Posts: 145 Member
    Are you weighing yourself at the same time? (Right after you wake up and use the bathroom)
    Do you use a food scale?
    What's your sodium/water intake?

All things considered, you could be holding omto water because it's a new routine. You could also be building muscle.
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    edited July 2016
    Many people here say that exercise calories are too generous. They state they only eat back 1/2 the calories (not all of them). I do not eat back any.
    Things that can cause temp weight gain: a high sodium meal, alcohol, monthly cycle, even exercising.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    It's probably water. Are you due your period?
  • PatriciaSykesy
    PatriciaSykesy Posts: 3 Member
    It's probably water. Are you due your period?

yes actually! It must be that. I'll wait one week and weigh myself again! Thank you.
    Are you weighing yourself at the same time? (Right after you wake up and use the bathroom)
    Do you use a food scale?
    What's your sodium/water intake?

All things considered, you could be holding omto water because it's a new routine. You could also be building muscle.

Thank you for the answer! Yes, I weigh myself in the mornings! I've started using a food scale, and its really helpful but I am not controlling my water/sodium intake at all. :neutral: