Netflix/Amazon Prime shows?

Options
Francl27
Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
So I just finished watching White Collar, which I loved... but now I have nothing to watch while exercising at home (stationary bike).

I want to watch Stranger Things but my kids are at home right now (they're 8) and I'm not quite sure it's appropriate for them, and there's only one season anyway so... Suggestions? I've watched a LOT of things (I follow 20+ shows regularly and have watched a bunch of older things already) so it's a pretty sad time.

And yeah it needs to be relatively kid friendly (they watched White Collar and they've seen Person of Interest too and survived though - but I'm drawing the line at the Netflix Marvel shows for them - which I've seen anyway).

Replies

• dkabambe
    dkabambe Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    Not sure what to recommend but will say that I loved Stranger Things and ended up watching all 8 episodes in 2 days, and highly recommend! If you loved 80s films then its a great homage to everything from that time - think Stephen King meets Steven Spielberg. You're probably right that at 8 your kids are a bit young for it (just), and half the fun in this program is the never ending nods back to the 80s which they wouldn't get anyway.
  • JessicaJS23
    JessicaJS23 Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    dkabambe wrote: »
    Not sure what to recommend but will say that I loved Stranger Things and ended up watching all 8 episodes in 2 days, and highly recommend! If you loved 80s films then its a great homage to everything from that time - think Stephen King meets Steven Spielberg. You're probably right that at 8 your kids are a bit young for it (just), and half the fun in this program is the never ending nods back to the 80s which they wouldn't get anyway.

That's the perfect description. I watched them all too and kept thinking this is like a combination of E.T.. Goonies.. Touch of monster squad lol.
  • Francl27
    Options
    I still think I'm going to watch it... the kids can leave the room :D But that's going to last me 2 weeks tops...
  • dkabambe
    dkabambe Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    @JessicaJS23 - So glad I wasn't only one. I'm going back even further in time to see an open air screening of "Close Encounters of the Third Kind" in a few weeks! Wasn't going but Stranger Things inspired me to, (trying to rearrange diary to also see ET outside next week). What else do you like film/TV wise?
    @Francl27 - So hope you do watch and please let me know if you enjoyed it. If so potentially lots I could recommend, but mostly not suitable for 8 year olds, (maybe once they hit double figures!). Also would love to hear your recommendations,x
  • Francl27
    edited July 2016
    Options
    @JessicaJS23 - So glad I wasn't only one. I'm going back even further in time to see an open air screening of "Close Encounters of the Third Kind" in a few weeks! Wasn't going but Stranger Things inspired me to, (trying to rearrange diary to also see ET outside next week). What else do you like film/TV wise?
    @Francl27 - So hope you do watch and please let me know if you enjoyed it. If so potentially lots I could recommend, but mostly not suitable for 8 year olds, (maybe once they hit double figures!). Also would love to hear your recommendations,x

I will start it sometime next week probably!

Oh gosh, what I recommend... where to start LOL.

Doctor Who, Supernatural, White Collar, Person of Interest, Firefly, Gilmore girls, Vampire diaries, the flash, arrow, X files, iZombie, buffy/angel, Downton Abbey, Agents of Shield, Jessica Jones, Daredevil, Sense 8, chuck, Sherlock, Lost, House, Parenthood, Quantum leap (they skip episodes though, which sucks), Ally McBeal, the 100, the blacklist, suits... Don't know if 12 monkeys is anywhere yet but it's really one of my favorite shows from the last couple years.

Hmm. Maybe I'll watch Fringe.
  • DeficitDuchess
    DeficitDuchess Posts: 3,099 Member
    Options
    I'd like to watch documentaries, while exercising, since that's my favorite thing to watch but unfortunately there tends to be reading & most of my exercising involves moving my head around & thus my eyes're unable to focus, for it to be legible.
  • ncboiler89
    ncboiler89 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    Stranger Things - meh. Really *kitten* acting.
  • ChxSurf782
    ChxSurf782 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Vikings. Amazing and underrated. If you like GOT, you will love this.
  • Karb_Kween
    Karb_Kween Posts: 2,681 Member
    Options
    I started the Americans and Transcendent or whatever it's called on Prime

I just watched the pilots, haven't seen anymore
  • EternalSnow627
    EternalSnow627 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Idk if u prefer American things cause I really love this show on Netflix called "Good Morning Call" it's a Japanese drama series only one season but it's still good if u don't mind reading subtitles
  • Francl27
    Options
    Ok I started Stranger Things. I like it! Will keep looking for something for next week...
  • dozenmonkeyz
    dozenmonkeyz Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I burned through Arrested Development while doing elliptical workouts when I was first getting in shape. If you haven't watched it yet, you're missing one of the best comedy series ever made.
  • Francl27
    Options
    I burned through Arrested Development while doing elliptical workouts when I was first getting in shape. If you haven't watched it yet, you're missing one of the best comedy series ever made.

I'm not really into comedies but maybe I'll give it a shot.
  • AskTracyAnnK28
    AskTracyAnnK28 Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    Nothing I watch on Netflix or Amazon Prime is suitable for 8 year olds...maybe Downton Abbey or The Gilmore Girls?

if you want a list of things to watch after they go to bed I'll gladly hook you up!
  • AskTracyAnnK28
    AskTracyAnnK28 Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    @GnothiSeauton23 Sure :wink:

OK:
    Spartacus
    Vikings
    House of Cards
    Breaking Bad
    Mad Men
    Sense8
    Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt
    Scream - The TV Series

• Riffraft1960
    Riffraft1960 Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options

I actually had an open air screening of Close Encounters at a camp group right at the base of Devil's Tower.
  • Francl27
    Options
    I finished Stranger Things. Really liked it!

Now to find something else to watch. Ugh.