Are you enjoying healthy eating?

Options
2»

Replies

• JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    ldowdesw wrote: »
    Mrs loudly complained about the smell of my breakfast. My breakfast was this new thing I had involving sauteing celery and onions together with meat and eggs to make a burrito. She hated it. She complained on facebook about it. Recently she asked me to fix one for her, leaving out the celery. She started eating healthier. I was previously afraid of asparagus. I metabolize the sulfur and I smell it in my urine, and I don't like that smell. Lately, I've started including asparagus in most of my evening meals. I got over the odor.

Oh gosh do you get sulphur burps too?? I've always thought it was just me and put it down to eating under cooked eggs, not that they are but I never knew what else to blame..

Not sulfur burps. Just sulfur piss. We're a minority which metabolize it and a smaller minority which can smell it.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    I eat everything in moderation
    For me, that is eating healthy
    I found that deprivation diets didn't last for the long run. Cutting out foods or food groups always ended in disaster. For me it was more sustainable to learn portion control and moderation.
    I lost all my weight and have kept it off for 3+ yrs so far. I ate ice cream every night during this process.
  • joans1976
    joans1976 Posts: 2,201 Member
    Options
    I have way fewer headaches (as in zero) since starting to be more mindful of my earring back in April. I'm so grateful for it!
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    I'm pleased to hear you're enjoying healthy eating, OPer, but most of your post sounded like an issue with quantity. I had a small baked potato with a teaspoon of butter as part of a baked cod dinner the other day. The small potato looked small (2 inches in diameter) but when you break it up, it's more than enough.
  • neldabg
    neldabg Posts: 1,452 Member
    Options
    This is also my definition of healthy eating. I go through phases where I'll sometimes eat a little more "junk" than usual (like a week or so ago when we had three birthdays in the family), and other times I'll eat a lot more nutrient-dense food than usual, but overall, the aim is moderation.
  • MaryLuvsTheLamb
    MaryLuvsTheLamb Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I think some of y'all misinterpreted my post. I was not insinuating that y'all we're eating "garbage". I said that prior to eating healthy, I, personally, was eating garbage. I mean, 3/4 cup of margarine on a baked potato is a heart attack waiting to happen. And 2 candy bars, plus a pint of Ben & Jerry's in replacement of a meal is totally not cool. There is absolutely NOTHING wrong with squeezing some of those things into your daily calorie allotment. I'm merely stating that for me, personally, I have chosen to do away with those things. Now my daily intake consists of only whole grains, low fat dairy, fruits, veggies and high protein. Quite the contrast for someone who suffered a compulsive eating disorder since I was 12 years old. It is a very rewarding feeling to reach for an apple, instead of 1/2 a cheesecake. Some people think that losing weight or being thin means you're healthy, but overall health is not just a number on the scale. It's high blood pressure, high cholesterol and clogged arteries. My step dad only weighs 140 lbs and suffers from all 3. So, when I refer to "healthy" eating, I'm referring to foods that are high in nutritional value and low in the things that cause damage. My calorie allotment is 1,340 for example. But if I choose to eat a slab of fat (or sugar) every day that equals 1,340 calories, just because it fits into my calorie allotment, is that eating healthy? That's the only point I'm making. Just because you "can" doesn't mean it's healthy. Have a blessed day everyone!
  • mrsdaffodyl
    mrsdaffodyl Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    neldabg wrote: »
    This is also my definition of healthy eating. I go through phases where I'll sometimes eat a little more "junk" than usual (like a week or so ago when we had three birthdays in the family), and other times I'll eat a lot more nutrient-dense food than usual, but overall, the aim is moderation.

Are we related? Last week was triple-birthday week in my house (one of them being mine), too!

And I ate cake. Too much cake. And I still lost half a pound that week. Yay me!

But, getting back on topic... I am very much enjoying eating good food. I love vegetables. I love broiled meat. I really enjoy salad and don't need to bury it in dressing. Egg whites are every bit as satisfying as whole eggs. So many healthy foods are absolutely delicious!

On my birthday I had a big greasy burger from Five Guys, and it was delicious, but I had not been in the mood for a burger for many many months. eating better feels good and most of the time I don't feel like I'm depriving myself at all.

I think the real breakthrough for me was the realization of how much food I really do not need to eat. I barely missed it. And when I do miss it, I go have something that is junk. It doesn't hurt me at all and it's not delaying my results.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    Meh, it's okay. I mostly eat what I want, just not as much as I want, and I know too much about food now to enjoy it as much as I used to (unless it's an IDGAF day where I do eat what I want/amounts I want).
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    I think some of y'all misinterpreted my post. I was not insinuating that y'all we're eating "garbage". I said that prior to eating healthy, I, personally, was eating garbage. I mean, 3/4 cup of margarine on a baked potato is a heart attack waiting to happen. And 2 candy bars, plus a pint of Ben & Jerry's in replacement of a meal is totally not cool. There is absolutely NOTHING wrong with squeezing some of those things into your daily calorie allotment. I'm merely stating that for me, personally, I have chosen to do away with those things. Now my daily intake consists of only whole grains, low fat dairy, fruits, veggies and high protein. Quite the contrast for someone who suffered a compulsive eating disorder since I was 12 years old. It is a very rewarding feeling to reach for an apple, instead of 1/2 a cheesecake. Some people think that losing weight or being thin means you're healthy, but overall health is not just a number on the scale. It's high blood pressure, high cholesterol and clogged arteries. My step dad only weighs 140 lbs and suffers from all 3. So, when I refer to "healthy" eating, I'm referring to foods that are high in nutritional value and low in the things that cause damage. My calorie allotment is 1,340 for example. But if I choose to eat a slab of fat (or sugar) every day that equals 1,340 calories, just because it fits into my calorie allotment, is that eating healthy? That's the only point I'm making. Just because you "can" doesn't mean it's healthy. Have a blessed day everyone!

Well said. If you were in the habit of eating high calorie low nutrition food frequently, it's wise to really focus on getting proper nutrition for a long while. Returning to some of the foods that consumed your life too early may lead you astray again. Why risk it? I'm at a place now where I make sure I get adequate protein and fibre, and my nutrients, and after that I lighten up a little. I hope you can build your confidence in yourself enough as time goes by that you will be able to fit in the odd treat here and there too. No hurry.

• MaryLuvsTheLamb
    edited July 2016
    Options

Well said. If you were in the habit of eating high calorie low nutrition food frequently, it's wise to really focus on getting proper nutrition for a long while. Returning to some of the foods that consumed your life too early may lead you astray again. Why risk it? I'm at a place now where I make sure I get adequate protein and fibre, and my nutrients, and after that I lighten up a little. I hope you can build your confidence in yourself enough as time goes by that you will be able to fit in the odd treat here and there too. No hurry.

Thank you so much! That was very kind and considerate of you. Yes, with time I may allow myself a small treat. I sometimes eat a protein bar and find it very satisfying. To me, this is a new way of life and not a diet. I realize that I'm probably among the minority in here, but that's ok. Sometimes different is good. <3
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    I enjoy my healthier eating too. Lots of fresh veggies, fruit, and fresh grilled protein. Easy to fix too. I still love my occassional pizza & chocolate treats ( in addition to my daily dark chocolate square).
  • berolcolour
    berolcolour Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I'm with you! I don't like the look of a lot of 'junk' anymore and it doesn't always taste as good as the memory. I also like making homemade versions for far less calories, like a good fry up with high quality ingredients and grilled tastes better to me now (still only have this occasionally!) I remember early on ordering a take away pizza and logging it after. It was 3000kcal for half a very large pizza. I was gutted. I haven't ordered pizza since! It wasn't as good as the 3000kcal 'cost'.

It's completely a lifestyle to me too.
  • karinabree
    karinabree Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I agree! I love healthy eating! I haven't eaten fast food due to repulsion for several years (which in itself does not keep the weight off, as I know first hand). It has to be combined with portion control too
  • MaryLuvsTheLamb
    Options
    I'm with you! I don't like the look of a lot of 'junk' anymore and it doesn't always taste as good as the memory. I also like making homemade versions for far less calories, like a good fry up with high quality ingredients and grilled tastes better to me now (still only have this occasionally!) I remember early on ordering a take away pizza and logging it after. It was 3000kcal for half a very large pizza. I was gutted. I haven't ordered pizza since! It wasn't as good as the 3000kcal 'cost'.

It's completely a lifestyle to me too.

I hear ya lol There's an old saying that says "nothing tastes as good as thin feels". So true.
  • tristramtrent
    tristramtrent Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Yes in general I enjoy it - I have quite a few new favourites, like fresh sweetcorn and watermelon, raw peas and our own home grown strawberries that I never really used to eat. I've moved away from cheap choc and now we eat the rich dark stuff. We cook more and have more cold plates than in the past. I havea protein bar when I go out on the bike. I agree the look of real junk is now almost alarming - when the boys get a huge Chinese in I just have a chicken foo yung ( mostly egg, right? Protein?) and hold back. It's usually not too much of a struggle. I have to confess sometimes I miss recreational overeating but the prize is worth it.
  • 1shedev
    1shedev Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I've always enjoyed a lot of healthy stuff. I'm just eating less of the junky stuff.