How did you start your journey?

Options
I'm just starting and I never really was an active person so. How did everyone start becoming more active after they started their weight loss journey? and was it hard if you weren't use to exercising all the time? I'm just curious on how everyone started being more active.

Replies

• JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    I already had equipment to use for exercise. I just finally used it. If you can enjoy walking, just walk. When my daughter was using myfitnesspal.com to lose weight she walked by staying inside the house and walking a circle through the kitchen, dining room, entry, living room, round and round for 30 minutes. It only looked weird to the people who were living with her. There's a guy on youtube who says he started exercising by standing in place and lifting one leg at a time, alternating leg lifts. After a few hundred pounds of weight loss, he climbed the Eiffel Tower.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    I started with just walking. Now I hike, run and mountain bike, walking is the gateway drug. Lol
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,989 Member
    Options
    I started by walking my son's dog when he went to college. I still walk daily and I have added in some yoga. I walk at a local park that has a nice walking trails, but you can walk anywhere. I think it's a great way to ease into an exercise routine especially if you haven't been very active.
  • Mentali
    Mentali Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    I've lost over 60 pounds and I barely exercise. I take walks when it's not too unbearable out, but the idea of intentionally going to a gym still makes me automatically feel dread. Just a different perspective because if your goal is mostly weight loss that's an option as well - although you have to be more careful calorie-wise.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I used to be a reasonably good athlete once upon a time, but I let myself go for about a decade. I just got back into things walking...just getting off my butt and moving more. As that became increasingly easier I added things and tried different things...it took awhile but I eventually discovered a passion for cycling.

Probably the number one mistake people make is jumping in and going from 0 - 100 overnight...I've only ever seen that lead to burnout and injury. Ease into things...you don't gain your fitness overnight.
  • Vegplotter
    Vegplotter Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    It's not at all necessary to ever go inside a gym, make yourself look a fool jogging in Lycra or even do silly exercises on the living room carpet. As everyone else here has attested, walking is the gateway to increasing activity (and lifting your mood).
    It's really important to gradually increase activity as you get slimmer, but how you do it is up to you. Yesterday I spent two hours pushing my mum in her wheelchair round the lake with all her cronies. It was social, physically taxing (cardiovascular exercise and muscle strengthening) and I felt I'd done something worthwhile. And by the way, I didn't need special gear or pay a membership fee.
    I try to do 10,000 steps a day and add other exercise into a normal routine like walking to the shops, DIY, or simply gardening. It's all good for you and along with a hit of caffeine during the day, exercise will help kick start a healthy metabolism.
    You'll lose weight easily without exercise, but if you aren't active you'll wreck your metabolism in the process.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I started by walking, and I still walk. I'm more active, but I have no intention of exercising all the time.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,484 Member
    Options
    I started doing Aqua fit the day after I started doing calorie counting.

I didn't like exercise, still don't, don't like sweating through a workout.
    8 years later I'm glad I started, and continued.

There are so many things to try, belly dancing, learning to swim, bodyweight exercises leading to weight lifting, Pilates, Zumba, etc.
    I think because there is no love of exercise for me,I change it up a lot- I do like learning something new.

I started waliking when I got entered into the Vancouver Sun 10km by my SO, otherwise, unless I have a race, I have rarely done it as exercise. I do walk around the neighbourhood and parks, but that is just part of my daily activity as I have always done it.

Cheers, h.
  • NancyYale
    NancyYale Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Lost most of my weight ei ty h no added exercise. As my ability to move increased, I joined a gym and go a couple of times a week. Start slow and build a routine you LIKE.
  • RoseTheWarrior
    RoseTheWarrior Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options
    Just start? Try something you think you'd like. Do not force yourself to do anything "just because it's supposed to be healthy" or any other nonsense. Find something you LIKE and then you'll WANT to do it. You could start out just walking, or try Couch to 5k (C25K), or lifting, or swimming, tennis, soccer, basketball, yoga, Zumba, etc, etc. There's literally hundreds of different ways to exercise. However, to lose weight, all you need is a calorie deficit. Exercise for the enjoyment and for overall health.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,932 Member
    Options
    I've always been active.

But my activity level dropped a bit a few years ago, and I gained some weight. I didn't like that, so I increased my activity level again back.

Just start with something like walking ... then try other stuff to find something you really like doing.
  • samchez0
    samchez0 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    I really don't exercise much. It's true when they say weight loss starts in the kitchen. But I do try and walk daily. I found a walking partner at work and we go out most days. It lso is a little easier to stay active when I'm not carrying around so much extra weight. I didn't realize how much my weight was affecting me until I lost some and realized that I could walk up stairs without being short of breath.