Not eating if your not hungry

Options

Replies

• bwhitty67
    bwhitty67 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Great comments folks.... It does just boil down to each individual and what works for them. When I stopped eating breakfast after waking up and just gave my body time to wake up I have noticed I stay in my goal range. Eating breakfast seems to make me wanna eat more. Turned the old engine on too soon :). I still enjoy my morning cup or 2 of coffee ☕️☕️
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    bwhitty67 wrote: »
    Bxqtie116 wrote: »
    I do the intermittent fasting and usually eat between 11-7 or 12-8. I wake up at 5am so I'm up and working for at least 6 hours before my first meal of the day.

Yes, that is what I was reading (couldn't remember what they called it). But have noticed that I'm not really hungry in the morning so later maybe 10a or 11a I make a protein shake, low calorie. And I'm really just getting hungry hungry around 1:30p-2p.

Thanks

I feel hungry in the AM, but I'm actually thirsty. Once I start drinking tea the feeling goes away. I make a protein, fruit, and veggie shake I sip on when I feel hungry again. I keep sticking it back in the frig cuz it takes a long time to finish. Usually I don't have lunch until after 2 PM.
  • Zella_11
    Zella_11 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Another breakfast skipper here. I also delay eating until lunch--sometimes I don't eat until 3 or 4 pm. Helps me stick to my calorie goal. I have coffee, water, Diet Coke throughout the morning. Keep doing what works for you! The old adage of eating "three square meals a day" is not helpful or necessary. :)
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    saraSM1 wrote: »
    The important thing is to not skip breakfast whether you want to lose weight or not

Nope.Complete myth! Grandma was wrong ( I'm not telling her, though). !

This article mentions some highlights of eating breakfast.

https://www.betterhealth.vic.gov.au/health/healthyliving/breakfast

Hightlights:

Skipping breakfast
    Extensive research in Australia and overseas has found: •Many children who skip breakfast are significantly heavier than those who eat breakfast.
    •Skipping breakfast may diminish mental performance. Eating breakfast may aid learning, as you are better able to pay attention and are more interested in learning.
    •Eating high-fibre breakfast cereals reduces fatigue.
    •Children who eat an inadequate breakfast are more likely to make poor food choices for the rest of the day and in the long term.
    •People who eat breakfast have more nutritious diets than people who skip breakfast. They also have better eating habits as they are less likely to be hungry for snacks during the day.
    •Going without breakfast becomes more common with advancing age.

• Zedeff
    Zedeff Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    The important thing is to not skip breakfast whether you want to lose weight or not

Hightlights:

Skipping breakfast
    Extensive research in Australia and overseas has found: •Many children who skip breakfast are significantly heavier than those who eat breakfast.
    •Skipping breakfast may diminish mental performance. Eating breakfast may aid learning, as you are better able to pay attention and are more interested in learning.
    •Children who eat an inadequate breakfast are more likely to make poor food choices for the rest of the day and in the long term.
    •People who eat breakfast have more nutritious diets than people who skip breakfast. They also have better eating habits as they are less likely to be hungry for snacks during the day.

This is an observational dataset, not a prospective dataset. The people in the study not eating breakfast are going to include those who cannot afford to eat breakfast. Such a group will have a poorer diet in general, poorer educational opportunities, poor general access to food (hence more desire for snacks), and more fatigue due to malnutrition.

It's data that has value, but not of the cause and effect variety.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options

Hightlights:

Skipping breakfast

I definitely agree with giving kids breakfast, I couldn't function and got very nauseous if i didn't have breakfast as a kid/teenager. I remember being taken in the sick room during a morning p.e session once because i was dry heaving, on the one day i didn't have breaky.
    But once i started drinking coffee and tea as an adult, this replaced breakfast. I drink copious cups of milky tea all morning, which keeps the hunger at bay and the calories down.
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options

Hightlights:

Skipping breakfast

Worth pointing out that whilst skipping breakfast may cause problems for those who eat ad lib, for those who calorie count (i.e those who of us on here that use the tool as expected) meal timing is irrelevant. In other words, If you skip breakfast and then snack heavily because you are hungry - because you track your calories you don't get to eat a supper that day.

Also, there were not any cited studies backing up those claims on the site you liked but I've seen similar claims before* and in those instances the negatives, although correlated with not eating breakfast, were not established at caused by not eating breakfast.

* I've never seen the claims

before.

fir the first, I'm still trying to think about how (iso-calorifically) this could happen, so I'm not really sure what to make of that statement (although the inclusion of the words "breakfast cereals" has my "this looks like industry lobbying" senses twitching) but for the second my initial thought are "so what?" - The instance of not skateboarding becomes more common with advancing age but that doesn't mean that not skateboarding causes any of the complaints (such as short sightedness) associated with old age.
  • caradack1985
    caradack1985 Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    My son eats breakfast, he eats several small meals a day, because he's a child who is gaining weight. Children generally do require food at several intervals throughout the day. I'm an adult, eating withing my calorie allowance and trying to lose weight. Eating breakfast isn't necessary.
  • ouryve
    ouryve Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    Yes, there are various studies into the need for breakfast around, typically sponsored by the companies producing breakfast cereals.

This particular report is a dead giveaway, or else why is a high fibre cereal breakfast recommended, rather than eggs on toast or a bacon sarnie?
  • bwhitty67
    bwhitty67 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    So in reading more about IF , I'm considering giving it a go. Do any of you use an App for a timer or reminder?
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    So in reading more about IF , I'm considering giving it a go. Do any of you use an App for a timer or reminder?

You don't really need and app or timer to tell you when to not eat, and in the early days at least your stomach will be telling you to eat before your actually break your fast. go simple, go old school, go without tech.
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    I do 16:8. Window of eating is 9am-5pm. Most days I don't eat until 11, but occasionally I like breakfast. No app used I just don't eat anything until 9am and stop eating at 5pm.
  • Angierae75
    Angierae75 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    I eat when I'm hungry. Sometimes that means breakfast with my coffee at 7:30am, sometimes it means breakfast with my 2nd cup of coffee at 9am at work, sometimes it means breakfast during my "morning snack" time around 10:30 or 11, sometimes it means lunch.
  • workinonit1956
    workinonit1956 Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    I usually finish eating for the day around 8 pm. I'll have tea when I get up in the morning and then nothing but water/unsweetened ice tea until between noon and 2 pm. This works for me in a couple ways-- helps curb my appetite and cravings and is really helping my diagnosed digestive issues. For me, the latter is worth the price of admission;)
  • lightenup2016
    lightenup2016 Posts: 1,055 Member
    Options
    I also have a bigger appetite the earlier I eat, so I don't really eat until about 1pm most days. I do have coffee with a little sugar and a square of dark chocolate before that, and I log those calories. I used to do a version of IF called Fast Five, with a 5 hour eating window. I did that until it no longer worked for me--waiting until 4 or 5pm to eat took its toll day after day, but this eating at 1pm has been working great for me. If we ever want breakfast food, we just have "breakfast for dinner" night
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I also have a bigger appetite the earlier I eat, so I don't really eat until about 1pm most days. I do have coffee with a little sugar and a square of dark chocolate before that, and I log those calories. I used to do a version of IF called Fast Five, with a 5 hour eating window. I did that until it no longer worked for me--waiting until 4 or 5pm to eat took its toll day after day, but this eating at 1pm has been working great for me. If we ever want breakfast food, we just have "breakfast for dinner" night

I love those nights :lol:

I don't eat till 1pm most days, but i drink tea with milk all morning, so it doesn't count as intermittent fasting because of the calories in the milk.

• Arapacana1
    Arapacana1 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I think I would pass out if I didn't eat breakfast! I usually work out for an hour before breakfast, and by then I'm more than ready for eggs and whole-wheat toast.
  • Vanilla_Lattes
    Vanilla_Lattes Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I love eating more in the afternoon. I usually don't eat until 12-1
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options

I don't use an app but you can set an alarm on your phone. I usually eat around 2 and then a large dinner with mh family a few hours later. For me I'm not hungry earlier and 2 work because its when I get ready to pick up my son.
  • frankiesgirlie
    frankiesgirlie Posts: 667 Member
    Options

I've skipped breakfast for the last 20 or so years, what's going to happen to me?

No. I haven't eaten breakfast since 1978. Guess I'm in big trouble.