Confused about Exercise Calories

Options
Hi all,

I'm new to MFP and I'm a bit confused. I log my meals throughout the day and I burn a great percentage of those calories. I know I'm supposed to eat them back, but it's hard to know where to get those calories from. For example, as soon as I eat breakfast and a snack I use up most of my sugar allowance, and while MFP gives the calories back after exercise, it doesn't adjust the individual allowances for carb, fat, sugar, etc.This has me afraid to eat anything but more vegetables, which hardly have any calories anyway. What should I eat when I eat the calories back!?!?

I'm also vegetarian (no fish), if that affects your feedback.

Thanks for your input!

Replies

• pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    Unless you have a medical reason to monitor your sugar intake, don't worry about it.

It does adjust your macros when you input calories burned through exercise so I don't understand that part of your post. Maybe you're having technical issues?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Unless you have a medical reason to monitor your sugar intake, don't worry about it.

It does adjust your macros when you input calories burned through exercise so I don't understand that part of your post. Maybe you're having technical issues?

What she said...it should be adjusting your macros as well as calorie goals. Also, the sugar recommendation is for ADDED sugar...their is no formal recommendation for naturally occurring sugars.
  • harleygroomer
    harleygroomer Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I try to follow mine--but I never try to eat my exercise back. I feel better looking at that deficit every night
  • 1princesswarrior
    1princesswarrior Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    I use MFP to log my foods and exercise and it does change my protein and carb amounts. I don't really watch my sugar that close because I don't eat a lot of sugars.

I always try to get extra protein after I exercise to help my muscles recover. But part of my daily routine is working on a horse farm with a lot of manual labor and I just started C25K.
  • SarahBeth0625
    SarahBeth0625 Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    I eat back most of my exercise calories most days since I am maintaining/toning, but I really don't stress the macros too bad. It's probably not the right way to do it, but I am doing well and have been doing well on my current regimen, so yeah... works for me!!
  • masimonsc
    masimonsc Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I eat half of my exercise calories back. I feel that MFP overestimates some of the burn. I've been successful with that.
    Unless you just add 'quick calories' mfp will adjust all that other stuff accordingly.
  • choyt8109
    choyt8109 Posts: 19
    Options
    Agree with what everyone else says....my numbers are adjusted after I log my exercise. But, I'm not necessarily trying to get all my calories back every day - sometimes I do, sometimes I don't. I LOVE a cold glass of chocolate skim milk after a workout. Good rise in insulin levels, a little protein, and gives me back some of the calories without busting the bank. Good luck!!
  • SairahRose
    SairahRose Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    I try to follow mine--but I never try to eat my exercise back. I feel better looking at that deficit every night

That theory would work - except that MFP already has the deficit built in, so by not eating exercise calories you're increasing the deficit too high.

Other than that, If you have cals left, you can use it for protein-filled items like nuts and legumes, or use it for treats - whatever works
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options

MFP gives you a calorie goal with a deficit already built in.....

But I mean, whatever makes you feel better. :flowerforyou:
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options

Your calorie GOAL has a huge deficit from maintenance already. You're doing it wrong. Do you use a hammer to drive screws? Learn the tool you are using.
  • Sprklberie
    Options
    Thanks so much, all. I think the thing that confused me most was the natural fructose/added sugar issue. I eat virtually no added sugar except from chocolate, but because I'm veggie, I eat a lot of fruit and my sugar macro spikes. I may have been assuming that the other numbers were not adjusting, truthfully. Much appreciated!