How to log calories after getting sick from a meal?

Options
Hey everyone,

I just want to add ahead of time this post may not be for the squeamish, but I am not going into detail.

Yesterday after having Animal Fries & a Protein Burger from In n' Out, immediately my stomach began to ache heavily. I had a sweaty forehead & couldn't find a comfortable position in the car to save myself. Then after about 30-45 minutes on my way home, I got sick. I'm assuming all of my meal was lost (again not going into detail). But, afterwards my stomach was still queasy yet could handle some bland foods. My question is, do the calories from In n' Out all get logged? Or did I lose a majority of them from getting sick so soon afterwards?

Replies

• pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry about it. You got sick, of coarse the calories weren't all absorbed but don't stress on it. Things happen in life
  • misskarne
    misskarne Posts: 1,767 Member
    Options
    I don't bother logging when I'm sick. I just try to get better. Then when I am better, I can log again.
  • Colorfan
    Colorfan Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I was sick a few days ago. Same problem, didnt keep any food down. I pretty much didnt bother to log anything. No real reason to religiously log stuff when youre sick. In the end, you know you didnt consume all those calories.
  • RainaProske
    RainaProske Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    I guess what bothers me is this: while I haven't been as sick as @heyitslexi95 -- to have lost the food -- it seems like a minor predicament I get in when I don't feel like eating all my prescribed calories.

If I'd been as sick as Lexi was, I would just erase that food from my day. What would likely happen, since I would not feel like eating, is this system doesn't work the way I would like if I don't eat enough: it will not do the final recording of my day if I am under the prescribed calories by a certain amount.

What I would do, then, to make sure my days all get their final record, is create a sick-day food, give it a name that explains, and give it a caloric value.
  • b3achy
    b3achy Posts: 2,015 Member
    Options
    I would still log it, but I log everything. I'd also annotate in the notes that I got sick from it, so I'd remember later if the calorie counts didn't quite match up with the weight lost.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I guess what bothers me is this: while I haven't been as sick as @heyitslexi95 -- to have lost the food -- it seems like a minor predicament I get in when I don't feel like eating all my prescribed calories.

If I'd been as sick as Lexi was, I would just erase that food from my day. What would likely happen, since I would not feel like eating, is this system doesn't work the way I would like if I don't eat enough: it will not do the final recording of my day if I am under the prescribed calories by a certain amount.

What I would do, then, to make sure my days all get their final record, is create a sick-day food, give it a name that explains, and give it a caloric value.

You just wouldn't complete your diary that day. It still saves your diary, it just wont post on your newsfeed is all.
    I log my food everyday, but i haven't hit "complete diary" for months.

• RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    I understand that if you throw up with in 30 minutes of eating you loose everything from that meal except foods that are considered "simple sugars", a wee bit of protein and a portion of any water-soluble vitamins/minerals.

• RainaProske
    edited July 2016
    Options
    You just wouldn't complete your diary that day. It still saves your diary, it just wont post on your newsfeed is all.
    I log my food everyday, but i haven't hit "complete diary" for months.

Yes -- I am just really anal about seeing the info there when the day is through. It's like I am back in school, and I want to see my grade. Sometimes! :wink:
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Last time I got sick, I still kept the food log. I really have no idea how much of the food you digest in 45 minutes anyway.

In the end it's really not going to make a difference anyway.

I don't 'complete' my diary anymore either.
  • caradack1985
    caradack1985 Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I'd either log everything anyway, or just not bother logging at all until I could eat without bringing it back up. Actually I'd most likely do the latter, food poisoning is awful, hope you feel better soon.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I'd either log everything anyway, or just not bother logging at all until I could eat without bringing it back up. Actually I'd most likely do the latter, food poisoning is awful, hope you feel better soon.

Just a note, people often blame the last thing they ate, however, food poisoning wouldn't hit that quickly. It may still have been food poisoning but not likely from the In and Out.
  • RainaProske
    Options
    . . . And I hope that the restaurant has heard from you.
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options
  • RainaProske
    Options
    Now, that's a thought, @3dogsrunning
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options
    Now, that's a thought, @3dogsrunning

I'm not sure which one you meant. I went to edit and posted by accident.
  • RainaProske
    Options
    Hee-hee-hee! I intended when you wrote, "Just a note, people often blame the last thing they ate, however, food poisoning wouldn't hit that quickly. It may still have been food poisoning but not likely from the In and Out."
  • caradack1985
    caradack1985 Posts: 254 Member
    Options

Just a note, people often blame the last thing they ate, however, food poisoning wouldn't hit that quickly. It may still have been food poisoning but not likely from the In and Out.

This is true, when I had it it was about 12 hours later that I started getting cramps, I thought I was going into labour again! Then another 12 hours before, well I didn't leave the vicinity of my bathroom for three more days let's put it that way!