Macros for beginners

Options
Just getting wanting input from people that count macros... What percentages do y'all eat that have worked for you loosing weight (the most effective way) Before anyone starts going on tangent on eating in a deficit is what will make you lose weight... I already know that. Thanks!
Right now mine are set at 40% carb 30%protein 30% fat... I'm trying to lose weight and gain/maintain muscle while I lose another 25-30 lbs

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I hovered around 47% fat, 21% protein, 32% carbs while I lost weight. I reintroduced more carbs as I entered maintenance.
  • gaildockter
    gaildockter Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Recommended by a nutritionist was 40% carbs, 40% protein and 20% fat. Working well for me.
  • ivanfawcettgibson
    ivanfawcettgibson Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I do 70% fat, 20% protein and 10% carbs. Works for me.
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Opinion: It really does not matter. As long as you are sticking to your daily caloric goals, you will lose weight.
    There was a professor that ate twinkies for 3 weeks to prove this point. He lost weight.
    What is important, is that you find something that you can stick to for life (don't do fads).
    I do high carb because I eat beans and lentils. 60% carb here.
  • Wolfena
    Wolfena Posts: 1,570 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    My goals are set for 50 carb, 25 fat , 25 protein -My days usually end up more like 55, 30, 15.
  • duke0825
    duke0825 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I agree it's all about calories with one special concern if you have a healthy metabolism. I've experimented with every type of macro ratio and found no difference. Although I do think the high carb vegan diet messed with my gut about 6 months in.
  • AngInCanada
    AngInCanada Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    I'm 65% fat, 20% protein, 15% carbs. Feel good and it keeps the hungry feeling away :)
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    I'm 50 carbs, 20 protein and 30 fat. I mostly focus on getting the 20% protein into me and let carbs/fat fall wherever they may. On days where I want to drop my calories a little lower (after a couple of indulgent days for instance), I aim for 25 or even 30% protein.
  • ctheo
    ctheo Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    currently i'm working out with a trainer and am eating 45 carbs / 35 protein / 20 fat.

this has helped me HUGELY - in the last 2 weeks i've gone down 5% body fat & gained 4 lbs of lean muscle.
  • briislovely
    briislovely Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    @ctheo out of curiousity how much weight lifting vs cardio are you doing per day. I'm struggling with what to do of each while losing fat/weight
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,988 Member
    Options
    Recommended by a nutritionist was 40% carbs, 40% protein and 20% fat. Working well for me.

This has always been my target when trying to lose weight. Hard to keep the macros exactly at this ratio. I tend to vary between 40/40/20 and 33 1/3 across the board but I've been able to lose 40 lbs 3 years ago and 20 lbs in the past 2 months doing do.
  • chelsea7162
    chelsea7162 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    As long as you're getting one gram of protein per pound of lean muscle mass, and .5g fat per pound of body weight you're fine. Mix whatever macros work for you