Calories in pizza slices

Options
kbmh611
kbmh611 Posts: 110 Member
I had a few slices of thin crust pepperoni pizza. It was from a 12" size pizza cut into triangular slices equaling 8 slices. Anyone have any idea how many calories are in a slice? When I google it or even look it up on MFP, the numbers are all over the place, from 180 a slice to 340+ a slice. I don't believe that it could be that much. I'm thinking around 200 a slice. Anyone happen to know for sure?

Replies

• dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    Where is the pizza from?
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,984 Member
    Options
    If it's from a pizzeria that doesn't have any nutrition information, I choose an entry that's based on a specific amount (e.g., 1/4, 1/8, 1/12, etc.) of a specific size (12-inch, 14-inch etc) for a national chain that I have eaten where the pizza seems similar to what I ate, verify the MFP entry against the national chain's info to be sure the entry I'm using is accurate, and do the math based on area, not weight (because I don't carry a scale when I go out to eat).

E.g., say I get an 8-inch personal pepperoni pizza and eat the whole thing, and it seems (i.e., similar thickness crust, similar amount of cheese and pepperoni) to Dominos hand-tossed pizza, and I find and verify an entry for 1/8 of a 14-inch Dominos hand-tossed pepperoni pizza at 300 calories.

area = radius squared times pi, but since pi is a constant the area of both the pizzas, you can just ignore it for the purposes of comparing the two

the pizza I ate has a radius of 4, the Dominos entry is for a pizza with a radius of 7

4 squared/7 squared = 16/49 = approx. .33

so I had .33 X 8 (because the Dominos entry is for one-eighth of the pizza, but I ate my whole pizza), or 2.6 servings of the Dominos entry (for about 784 calories).

It sounds complicated when I try to explain it, but it's easy if you remember a little basic arithmetic and geometry.

I have meal entries I use for pizza places I eat at near work and home that don't have nutrition info, labelled "X" [name of pizza place] options, with proxy database entries for equivalent pizza or pizza crusts, and entries for all the different toppings they offer that I like. I just log the meal and edit amounts and delete any topping I didn't use for that particular pizza.

• kbmh611
    Options
    The place I ate the pizza at was like a kids arcade party place so obviously no nutritional info available. I'm thinking maybe I can just look at the serving size calories for a typical thin crust frozen pizza and use that
  • B4Rachael
    B4Rachael Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    If you want to get as close as possible (since the place you went doesn't have nutritional information) I suggest using Pizza Huts nutritional guide, you can change the toppings & pizza size to get close to what you ate. https://order.pizzahut.com/nutrition-calculator
  • kbmh611
    Options
    Thanks for the advice! :)