Keep falling off, lying there, getting back on, then falling off again

Options
Why am I constantly going through this cycle? It's so frustrating.

Any insight on the "why," or tips on how to stay in the saddle? What do you do to maintain?

Replies

• capaul42
    capaul42 Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    You need to decided your "why". That's what helps you stay committed. Then you need to develop good habits that you can "do" and not wait to "feel motivated" about. Take small steps, don't try to change everything at once because it obviously doesn't work for you. Finally, view this as a journey, one step at a time, that has its ups & down. Stop the drama of "all or nothing", "on or off" etc. If you drive on a trip and take a wrong turn, you don't just end your vacation and go home. You make adjustments and keep going, enjoying the adventure along the way. That's how it is with life, and your weightloss & nutrition needs to be part of your "life", not a separate project. Hope that helps.

This is great advice. Motivation doesn't last. It will get you started but you need determination, dedication and habit to see you through. Lucky for me, I'm crazy stubborn so that has helped tremendously ;)
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I agree too. Small steps. People who go straight to 1200 calories and go from couch potato to 1 hour of exercise a day are the most likely to burn out.

You find some exercise that you enjoy... you pick a reasonable deficit (for me, it was never over 1 lb a week, I never ate less than 1650 calories)... you don't force yourself to eat bland food. I had to learn to cook, but now I can make satisfying meals (when I'm not feeling lazy) and don't have to rely on junk food to be satisfied.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,487 Member
    Options
    @lorrpb has given you such good advice there is little or nothing to add.

Determination is the key; forgiving any slip ups and staying the course will get you there.

Cheers, h.
  • judy1982
    judy1982 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Really good advice. I'm just starting over again.