Advice on home workouts

Options
fr33sia12
fr33sia12 Posts: 1,258 Member
edited July 2016 in Fitness and Exercise
I'm trying to add home workouts to my routine as I want to do more exercise. I still have 2 stone to lose, so don't know if I should concentrate on workouts for cardio like the 30 day shred or for toning. Should I do toning workouts more when I've lost more weight or is that something I can do now, or is burning fat more important.

I forgot to add I walk for 40-60 mins a day for cardio already.

Replies

• shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    Strength training will help you maintain your existing muscle mass while in a deficit. This helps make most of your loss come from fat.

Personally, I vote for doing both. However you should do whatever you will stick with even after reaching your goal weight.

• fr33sia12
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Strength training will help you maintain your existing muscle mass while in a deficit. This helps make most of your loss come from fat.

Personally, I vote for doing both. However you should do whatever you will stick with even after reaching your goal weight.

Sorry when you say strength training do you mean like using dumbbells and lunges for legs things like that.
    If I have a plan set out for me I can follow it easily, I do that successfully with my diet, but not having a plan set up I never know what to do each day.
  • dlm7507
    dlm7507 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Get a plan then. There are a number of good body weight exercise programs. A very good comprehensive and inexpensive source of quality information would be "Never Gymless" by Ross Emamait (internet download), "Convict Conditioning" by Coach Wade or something by the Kavadlos (Amazon or Dragon Door).

There is free stuff on the internet but much of it is worth less than what you pay for it. Indeed, some of it is so bad it should be criminal to put it out there. Sadly, you can find links to some of that in this forum.

I mention body weight exercise because you mentioned at home. Many people avoid it because it's too hard and prefer exercise machines or light weights at a gym but the programs I mention above have regressions if you aren't strong enough to do standard push-ups and pull-ups or there are progressions to one arm push-ups and one leg pistol squats.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    fr33sia12 wrote: »

Sorry when you say strength training do you mean like using dumbbells and lunges for legs things like that.
    If I have a plan set out for me I can follow it easily, I do that successfully with my diet, but not having a plan set up I never know what to do each day.

Yes that would be strength training. Along with what dlm7507 said, Strong Curves also has a body weight program (I recommend buying the book, but you can find the program templates online).
    Also look into fitnessblender.com, they have tons of free videos, but if you need a structured plan to make sure your workout routine is balanced their plans are pretty reasonable.
    If you have some dumbbells then the 12 Week IdealShape Up Challenge or 15 day Fight the Fat challenge are worth looking into as well (both are free).
  • capaul42
    capaul42 Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    Another good bodyweight program you can find online is You Are Your Own Gym.
  • xvolution
    xvolution Posts: 721 Member
    Options
    If you can afford them, resistance bands are good starters for strength training. Most decent kits include the handles, at least one door anchor and an ankle band, so all you need is a secure door.
  • i_ge_w94
    i_ge_w94 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    there's a site called Flex which live-streams fitness classes which might be useful for you? I've used it a few times when I've been unable to go to the gym and the classes I did were really good (plus you don't need equipment for most of them!)
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    30ds is a good place to start as its cardio and resistance training.
  • fr33sia12
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I've been doing some workouts from Youtube and found a great routine now. I'm already feeling stronger and more flexible and trim!!!!