What Does Moderation Look Like For You?

Options
I initially decided to try giving up processed sugar for an undeclared amount of time. Yeah, that didn't work. I'm hearing a lot about moderation, and as stupid as it may sound...I barely have an idea of how to do it. To me moderation is eating just a serving of something (I'm talking about the junk foods).

The hard part is I eat one cupcake, and I want 2 more. I think I know HOW to moderate, but I don't know HOW to not go back for seconds, thirds, etc.

So, my question to you is how do you eat in moderation? What keeps you from over indulging?

Replies

• zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    I stick with serving/portion sizes when I can fit them in. Things that come in pairs (Pop-Tarts, Hostess snack cakes, etc.) can be hard for me to leave the other one because my silly brain is "worried about the other piece being alone and going stale by itself".

I don't really have any trigger foods (foods that I can't stop eating once I start). For me, it was just practice and teaching myself that I can have it tomorrow when it fits in. Today, I built my lunch around a blueberry muffin I bought yesterday. Not hitting macros well, but my brain will be happy.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    For me moderation means eating an overall healthful and calorie appropriate diet and within that including some higher cal/lower nutrient items (or higher fat meats sometimes or adding in some ingredients to a recipe just for the taste addition) that fit within the calories and I otherwise meet my nutrition goals. Or, it can mean wanting an indulgent restaurant meal and so planning ahead during the week or having a big workout or just not doing it very often. There are many ways to do it.

I tend to eat dessert type food (which for me can mean a serving of good cheese, too) after dinner and generally eat a serving, but focus on calories. If it doesn't fit in the calories, I don't eat it. I never had trouble keeping it to the amount I wanted -- I put it on a plate/bowl and put the rest away (for me it's often ice cream) -- and if I did I'd probably switch to something else until I developed more control. I find knowing I can have it tomorrow too if I want helps me not want to overeat.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I eat treats that I otherwise find hard to moderate, only on special occasions and out of the house. On a day to day basis, I eat food I like but can eat to satiety.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I want not to be fat more than I want the extra cupcake. I do also have days when I eat less so I can afford to have 2 cupcakes when I really want them.
  • Budjola
    Budjola Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    burn more then you eat
  • Eleanor_82
    Eleanor_82 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Some things I just can't have in the house or office because I know I'll slip up, like crisps. I'm hoping my willpower will improve over time but that's just where I'm at right now. I try to have enough healthy alternatives easy to hand and visible- fruit everywhere!

For occasional afternoon treats I tell myself I'm allowed a biscuit with peanut butter once I've had a litre of water, or finished two cups of herbal tea. That helps me realise whether I'm really hungry or just bored or having a craving. Wee mind tricks!
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,195 Member
    Options
    When I'm on my diet, I just simply keep within my calorie limit.

• Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    If you build a "moderate" diet and hit your macro and micro goals and fiber it is pretty hard to not have an overall, balanced, healthy diet, regardless of whether there are some cookies and cupcakes sprinkled throughout that diet.
  • samchez0
    samchez0 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Saying no to seconds, getting smaller portions of foods I love, only drinking pop once a week (which I've been failing at), saving candy and sweets for special occasions. It's about not completely cutting myself off from food I love but not making them an everyday occurrence either.
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    Log before you eat. Fun-size. A Hershey kiss is 25 calories. A 'serving' is 11 kisses. No, a binge is 11 kisses. A serving is a kiss. That's what moderation looks like.
    A cupcake, depending how tall the pile of sugared lard is on top, is at least 400 calories and could be as much as 800. Once you have a ballpark clue of the cost of food, it's easier to decide that it's too expensive.

^ Definitely not this. If you shop for cupcakes at the grocery store and not some ridiculous $6 cupcake place you'll find that you can easily find ones that are 200-300 calories. And yes, 11 kisses is a fine serving. If you're cutting on 1400 calories or less then it's more difficult and you may need to eat just a mini cupcake. The point though is that you eat a serving and walk away. That takes discipline until you form the habit. If you have a serious sweet tooth then no, it won't be easy, but you get out what you put in. Good luck!