How do you know counts for 'homemade' foods??

So I just ate a slice of homemade whole wheat bread.

But I have no idea what the actual counts of that item were.

SInce I've been using food items that I knew fairly accurately represented what was actually in them (solid quantitative lables and serving sizes)...so my question is, how do we calculate iin these instances...

Replies

• FP4HSharon
    FP4HSharon Posts: 664 Member
    Go to Food, then Recipes, then enter the ingredients for your recipe, It'll do it all for you & you can save it.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Pick something close from the database. Everything you record is an estimate anyway, even if it comes out of a packet.
  • smesche
    smesche Posts: 234 Member
    Go to Food, then Recipes, then enter the ingredients for your recipe, It'll do it all for you & you can save it.

This is what I do. Every meal I make at home goes into the receipe database on MFP. That way I can have an accurate (well as accurate as can be expected) count of what I ate.
  • SergeantG
    SergeantG Posts: 92
    OHHHH!! That is really cool!!!

Thanks!! (I'm still learning this site)
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,487 Member
    I LOVE the recipe tab. I even use it for things I often eat together that aren't truly a recipe - like my daily vitamins. So easy to edit too if you switch things up the next time you make it. I think it is a great tool.
  • Magdaloonie
    Magdaloonie Posts: 146 Member
    The Recipe option is my BFF! We rarely go out and cook less and less packaged food all the time. For example, I have the per slice nutrition of 3 different pizza crusts and, separately, 4 of 5 different topping combinations. The way I usually make my turkey tacos is a recipe. I also confirmed that my Thai coconut curry soup with shrimp & chicken was orders of magnitude healthier than one could buy! I put in the recipes and my husband goes to my diary and copies my meals to his.
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Pick something close from the database. Everything you record is an estimate anyway, even if it comes out of a packet.

Yep.

When I make a recipe for dinner or whatever, which is basically every day, I'll create a recipe here and input my ingredients. For my homemade honey wheat bread, I just find someone else's homemade honey wheat in the database and log that.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    If I made it I use the MFP recipe function to enter all ingredients, divide into servings and log that way. If someone else made it I either guesstimate using other recipes in the database or just skip logging it, depending on my mood at the time.