anyone had any experience with waist training??

Options
2»

Replies

• fanceegirl75
    fanceegirl75 Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    Sugar_Pill wrote: »
    Somebody don't had their mind "snatched"- ignorance is bliss...

I'll keep busting my *kitten* to look better & y'all cinch that *kitten* up and keep doing you.

Can't win em all!

Ignorance is attempting to use some sort of slang in response to my comments. Yes you're right...ignorance is bliss!
  • caroldavison332
    caroldavison332 Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    those control pantyhose and other things are bad for your health. They squish your organs and can lead to disease like acid reflux. It hurts and can lead to cancer. You don't want it.
  • MzManiak
    MzManiak Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    I never used a waist trainer. But I did use a cloth wrap with velcro (kinda like the Belly Bandit) to help support the post-baby belly with all of my kids. (I have 3) It definitely helped while my uterus shrank and it helped with the cramping from breastfeeding. It didn't help me lose weight or inches though... that came naturally.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    MzManiak wrote: »
    I never used a waist trainer. But I did use a cloth wrap with velcro (kinda like the Belly Bandit) to help support the post-baby belly with all of my kids. (I have 3) It definitely helped while my uterus shrank and it helped with the cramping from breastfeeding. It didn't help me lose weight or inches though... that came naturally.

I can understand a support band for that reason. but a WT isnt going to support anything. a weight belt type thing for weight training to help with form and prevent a back injury? sure some use that but its for support only not to shrink anything
  • AmandaHugginkiss
    AmandaHugginkiss Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    You say you've done your research , but 10 minutes on Google led me to statements from medical professionals that waist training is ineffective, kinda stupid, and can be hazardous. Everything from indigestion, regurgitation, bowel twisting and necrosis, fainting, atrial fibrillation......

Maybe okay for that one fancy night out, but daily use is never going to work.

Silly me for not trusting Dr. Oz. Yet no one posted any legit link to these great articles with all this truth.
    I went from a size 35 to a 27 with diet and exercise-- and I have 4 kids ages 10 and under- who all weighed 9lbs +

But... All that work and I coulda just got a waist trainer. Silly me!

No where did I say I did it in place of working out and eating right. Gotta love MFP forums.

Http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation-now/2015/11/05/waist-whittlers-dangers/75225022/

http://news.health.com/2015/03/10/what-is-waist-training/

https://www.yahoo.com/beauty/why-waist-training-is-a-really-really-bad-idea-120455530897.html

Sorry-- couldn't find Dr. Oz

Again...waist training like the Kardashians and waist training with a real steel boned corset are two different things. You first link took me right to a waist cincher article. Didn't bother clicking the others.

You're honestly following the weight loss advice of the Kardashians.

Try photoshop. That works best for them.
  • melmelw03
    melmelw03 Posts: 5,338 Member
    Options
    I can't even put Spanx on without feeling claustrophobic and feeling like I can't breathe. No way I could do a waist trainer.
  • Arathels
    Arathels Posts: 6,883 Member
    Options
    Not worth it. My friends swore it was the thing to try so I did and it's maybe the most stupid thing I've tried in my fitness journey

First of, it will kill you're core strength, tried planking in it and it did all the work for me. You lose your abs and you really don't want that if a flat stomach is your goal.. And then there's the fact that it's uncomfortable, you can't breath and it isn't permanent..

So all you're really getting out of it is a whole lot of pain and uncomfortable feelings for a solution that doesn't stick. It's not worth it

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,618 Member
    Options
    Waist training and wearing a latex cincher as seen on the Dash dolls are two very different things. Women started waist training back in the Victorian age. There is so much misinformation on the subject. You will see people say this and that about crushing organs and so on but is there true documented proof of this? Have women in recent times died or caused severe harm to themselves due to waist training? There is a lady by the name of Cathie Jung in the Guinness Book for having the smallest waist of a living person. She has waist trained with steel boned corsets for more than 20 years. Most people would consider her "extreme". She is over 70 years old and her health is good. Waist training does not have to be extreme and can be done safely. I think before people pass judgement on a subject they are biased on because of he say-she say they should really do their research. Just my 2 pennies.

while her health is good she cannot go long without it because she doesnt have the core strength or support from her muscles to support her organs either. those who wear them for long periods of time are asking for trouble.if you wear something too tight it will move your organs around inside or cause them to be smashed together. there is a lot of studies and articles on the dangers,do some research and you will see.

I've done my research. Thnx! I also know quite a few people who use real corsets. Myself included. Majority of people aren't doing as Cathie does. You have to lace pretty tight for most hours of the day and many years to get to where she is. Not the norm. It's also common practice to do core strengthening exercises if you are a serious waist trainer. There are extremes to everything in life. All things in moderation is the key.
    The point is though that waist training doesn't change the shape that one already has. If one's waist is flabby and fat, waist training isn't going to fix that. Consult any physiologist or orthopedist on this and they will agree.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• fanceegirl75
    Options
    You say you've done your research , but 10 minutes on Google led me to statements from medical professionals that waist training is ineffective, kinda stupid, and can be hazardous. Everything from indigestion, regurgitation, bowel twisting and necrosis, fainting, atrial fibrillation......

Maybe okay for that one fancy night out, but daily use is never going to work.

Silly me for not trusting Dr. Oz. Yet no one posted any legit link to these great articles with all this truth.
    I went from a size 35 to a 27 with diet and exercise-- and I have 4 kids ages 10 and under- who all weighed 9lbs +

But... All that work and I coulda just got a waist trainer. Silly me!

No where did I say I did it in place of working out and eating right. Gotta love MFP forums.

Http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation-now/2015/11/05/waist-whittlers-dangers/75225022/

http://news.health.com/2015/03/10/what-is-waist-training/

https://www.yahoo.com/beauty/why-waist-training-is-a-really-really-bad-idea-120455530897.html

Sorry-- couldn't find Dr. Oz

Again...waist training like the Kardashians and waist training with a real steel boned corset are two different things. You first link took me right to a waist cincher article. Didn't bother clicking the others.

You're honestly following the weight loss advice of the Kardashians.

Try photoshop. That works best for them.

In 41 years I've never needed photoshop. So sad your only rebuttal to someone's opinion you don't like is to try and insult them. Maybe it's you who seeks validation. I'm on this site because it's been a great resource for me since 2011. The less important such as yourself don't phase me!
  • fanceegirl75
    Options
  • AmandaHugginkiss
    AmandaHugginkiss Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    jkcx04g0wv6e.jpeg

I said the Kardashians use photoshop, with abandon, actually. Not that you needed it. The post involved a heavy dose of rhetoric.

Looks like you've had success. You should be proud of your hard work from your 5 years on MFP. As an almost 44 year old with a rather whittled waist myself (26ish inches at 5'7"), I am earning it through hard work, cardio, lifting weights, building a core, and eating at various times in a deficit, surplus, or at maintenance. I don't wear body slimmers, just a lifting belt on leg day. It isn't a pissing match, so I don't feel inclined to post a photo in the thread, but feel free to browse my profile.

But you look good. Be proud of your accomplishments. Don't let a waist trainer get props for your hard work.