Weighing food vs measuring food...

Hi everyone.
I was just wondering how everyone gets their serving sizes.
Do you all use measuring cups / spoons or do you use food scales?
I am big on using measuring utensils but also have a food scale and considering busting that out and start using it.
Any thoughts on this?

Replies

• KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,412 Member
    weigh. I even weigh fats (oils) rather than use spoons.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    You have one and do not use it yet with MFP? :(
  • PixelPuff
    PixelPuff Posts: 902 Member
    Weighing. When packages say '1 cup', it also has a weight listed usually, like 113g, etc.
  • musicfan68
    musicfan68 Posts: 1,143 Member
    You haven't read many threads yet, have you?
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 5,115 Member
    The food scale is much more accurate. I only use spoons and cups for liquids.
  • fr33sia12
    fr33sia12 Posts: 1,258 Member
    I'm in the UK so we don't use cups for measuring (not until everyone went American) so I've always used food scales even for liquids.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Weigh solids and measure liquids.
  • srecupid
    srecupid Posts: 660 Member
    I use a food scale if anything it's one less thing to wash because I can just use the same bowl as I'm going to eat out of
  • Neanbean13
    Neanbean13 Posts: 211 Member
    Yesss weight. Diff measurements in diff countries
  • savithny
    savithny Posts: 1,200 Member
    Once you learn the "tare as you go" method (described above; zero the scale before each ingredient addition), the scale is SO MUCH EASIER.

Protip: Find some UK recipes that give all amounts by weight, and just cook with the scale. It's quick and more accurate!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Food scale is more accurate, easier to use, and less dishes. I can't even imagine why anyone would use measuring cups.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    I find my food scale easier, faster, and I have fewer dishes to wash at the end of the day. Plus, who doesn't want to feel like a mad scientist in the morning?
  • CasperNaegle
    CasperNaegle Posts: 936 Member
    scale everywhere I can!
  • BiggDaddy58
    BiggDaddy58 Posts: 406 Member
    I don't weigh much of my food at all..it depends on where you're at in your journey I suppose.

I had the "advantage" (if you can call being morbidly obese an advantage) of weighing 308# , so weight would come off, if I simply cut down on calorie intake and increased the calories burned.

I have done that..today is day 153/ exactly 5 months into my lifestyle change. I weigh the few foods I have to..chicken breast, steaks, fried potatoes..but other than that..

I don't weigh any food. I have a nice scale..just not that big of a need. (Again..it all depends on where you are at in your journey and your goals)

I have dropped 71 pounds in 5 months. My weigh in was today. I use whatever the package says the calories are. I look up my fruit online..I use those calories.

I try and overestimate calories if I am not sure..and I try and underestimate the calories burned. I lift light weights in the morning and afternoon...two sets each/ of five different exercises. I don't log any of those calories as calories burned.

IMO..this is simply a tool. Make it too complicated and ..well..losing weight is hard enough.

A food scale , I am sure is far more accurate. I just don't find it necessary.

YMMV