Apple Bread

Options
millerll
millerll Posts: 873 Member
There's a popular recipe on here for a low-calorie pumpkin bread. I make it often, but lately, I've been craving something different. I had a craving for apples, so I changed up the recipe to make this apple bread. It's awesome served warm fresh out of the oven.

This bread comes out very moist in the center - it almost seems under-cooked, but it's a dense, heavy bread that's very filling. Nutrition info is below.

You could also add nuts to it if you wish, but I'm not fond of them, so I left them out. Enjoy!

PS - If you're averse to using the canned apple filling, you could sub about 3 diced apples with 1/2 cup of Splenda or Stevia instead.

PPS - If you can spare the extra calories, you can create a yummy glaze using about 1/2 cup powdered confectioners sugar and a few tablespoons skim milk. Stir until smooth, then drizzle over the cooled bread. Good times.

Apple Bread

One 20-oz. can of Comstock No Sugar Added Apple Pie filling
1 1/4 cups whole wheat flour
1/4 cup all purpose flour
1/2 cup liquid egg substitute (like Egg Beaters)
1/4 cup Splenda brown sugar blend (not packed)
2 1/4 tsp. baking powder
1 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. nutmeg
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

In a large bowl, combine both types of flour, brown sugar blend, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt.

In a medium bowl, mix together the apple filling, egg substitute, and vanilla extract. (The apple filling slices are pretty large. I cut the slices into smaller pieces.) Add this mixture to the bowl with the dry ingredients, and stir until just blended.

Pour the batter into a 9x5 loaf pan sprayed with nonstick spray. Bake for 50 minutes, until the top of the loaf is firm. Bread will be moist inside. Cool completely, then slice. Serves 8.

Nutrition Facts
Servings 8.0
Amount Per Serving
Calories 144

Total Fat 0 g
Saturated Fat 0 g
Monounsaturated Fat 0 g
Polyunsaturated Fat 0 g
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 229 mg
Potassium 104 mg