Egg separator

Options
Anyone have any suggestions for a good egg separator, I.e. Separating egg white from egg yolk? Have one you love and recommend? Please post here for me. I don't need anything fancy, I'm just not good at doing this on my own, no matter how many YouTube videos I watch. Gracias!

Replies

• rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    Can you buy liquid egg whites?

I dont know, it's not that hard to just seperate them by hand with the shell. but if you're eating a ton of them i think it's better to just get liquid egg whites.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    Can you buy liquid egg whites?

I dont know, it's not that hard to just seperate them by hand with the shell. but if you're eating a ton of them i think it's better to just get liquid egg whites.

I use my hands too.
  • capaul42
    capaul42 Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    Nothing feels worse than separating eggs with your hands (I'm exaggerating but still mostly true). I second the liquid egg whites! I buy them to add to my eggs in the morning to bulk it up a bit.
  • NaturalNancy
    NaturalNancy Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    LessofAJ wrote: »
    I crack the egg in half and pour it back and forth into the shell halfs until they separate. Easy peasy and free. Lol

This.
    Crack it in half and just keep switching the yolk from one shell to the other while the egg whites fall into the bowl or pan
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    I use the egg shell by moving the yolk back and forth between egg shell halves until the whites have separated from the yolk.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    Walmart should have one fairly cheap. I can't separate eggs using the shells for shizzle. It's why my white cakes are always yellow.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/2-Pcs-Plastic-Egg-Yolk-White-Separator-Divider-Boiler-Sieve-Holder/45588384
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I crack the egg in half and pour it back and forth into the shell halfs until they separate. Easy peasy and free. Lol

+1 well really, I eat the whole egg, but if I need to separate them.... I use the shells.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    loridz wrote: »
    Anyone have any suggestions for a good egg separator, I.e. Separating egg white from egg yolk? Have one you love and recommend? Please post here for me. I don't need anything fancy, I'm just not good at doing this on my own, no matter how many YouTube videos I watch. Gracias!

I didn't use to be either, so you're not alone. :smiley: Now most times I get it on first try but I typically eat the whole egg so I don't get much practice anymore. :D

I've seen egg separators at Dollar Tree, Dollar General, Bed Bath & Beyond (for only a couple dollars there too) etc.
    I'd say even try checking out your thrift stores you could probably get one for less than $.50 .

Happy Hunting ;)

@loridz
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I do the egg shell back and forth thing too. Of course, one has to be practiced enough to crack the egg cleanly instead of crushing the shell in to little bits.

Would a slotted spoon do the trick?
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    You can use a water bottle too.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wf-dZL1i_HA
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    This is usually pretty good. I've broken a few larger yolks doing this, but it's pretty rare that I need to remove the yolk.

• lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Just pick whatever the grocery store has on the shelf. It will work fine.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I buy cartons of egg white on special and freeze them

I find the shell to shell method easy, that said I am so trying that water bottle thing
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options

magical, yet creepy all at the same time. :laugh: I'd never seen the water bottle method... since 99.9999% of the time the shell method works for me, I'll go with that.

But some interesting ideas shared. :smiley:

• Puravidablonde
    Puravidablonde Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    So wish I could buy egg whites here. Not available in Costa Rica.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    Separated egg whites supposedly don't work for whipping. The only time I separate eggs is when I'm making an angel food cake or waffles.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options

This my method also. Although I do own a little thing that looks like a measuring cup with a cut out around the center - so the yoke drops in the center and the whites pass through. I've had it forever - but I can't imagine it cost more than a couple dollars at the most.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I use my hands, but I add to the suggestion to buy liquid egg whites if you are doing it often (oh, I see they aren't available -- I'd double check, but if not, that's a bummer). Wasting the yolk would feel so sad to me if done often--I simply could not do it, would rather give up eggs.

I personally eat the yolks when just having eggs.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    Jruzer wrote: »
    Separated egg whites supposedly don't work for whipping. The only time I separate eggs is when I'm making an angel food cake or waffles.

I mis-typed. I meant "pre-packaged" egg whites don't work for whipping. D'oh! Separated whites obviously do work for whipping.