Protein bars

Options
2»

Replies

• BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    SueInAz wrote: »
    If you have a Costco around, and are or know a member, they sell their own brand (Kirkland) of protein bars. They are in brownie and chocolate chip cookie dough flavors. The price, of course, is quite reasonable.

I tried these for the first time this week. The macros and taste are similar to Quest bars. At about a dollar a bar they cost far less.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    BigGuy47 wrote: »
    SueInAz wrote: »
    If you have a Costco around, and are or know a member, they sell their own brand (Kirkland) of protein bars. They are in brownie and chocolate chip cookie dough flavors. The price, of course, is quite reasonable.

I tried these for the first time this week. The macros and taste are similar to Quest bars. At about a dollar a bar they cost far less.

I haven't had Quest bars so can't offer an opinion on that but Costco is known for taking a name brand product and slapping their own label on it then charging less. It wouldn't surprise me if that is what they are underneath the wrapper.
  • MalkinMagic71
    MalkinMagic71 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    Fit crunch bars are where its at!!!

Yep they taste like a Twix bar to me. Soooooo good.
  • aliciab50
    aliciab50 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Has anyone tried and liked the Luna bars with 5g of sugar?
  • Ktjc2016
    Ktjc2016 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I've just been introduced to nature valley protein bars they taste nice 5g of sugar and 10g of protein but they oddly make me really thirsty
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    Have any Canadian MFPers seen the Kirkland bars at Costco? I look every time but we don't seem to have them and I really want to try them, I'd love a cheaper Quest-like option.
  • cgvet37
    cgvet37 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    I tried Quest first, they were ok tasting but pricey. Now I buy Pure Protein. Cheaper and better tasting.
  • all_in_the_game
    all_in_the_game Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    If you have the patience, make one at home. Turns out it is not that costly, and you can easily find the ingredients nearby. Most of the ingredients would be there at your home already.

Quick Oats, Peanut Butter, Coconut Milk, Honey and Protein Powder.

Step 1. Whisk the coconut milk in a bowl
    Step 2. Whisk in the protein powder
    Step 3. Whisk in the peanut butter
    Step 4. Mix in the oats
    Step 5. Pack the granola into a tray or dish and let it set
    Step 6. Divide the granola into bars

http://www.fabhow.com/how-to-gain-weight.html#Method_2_Eating_Protein_Bars
  • smotheredincheese
    smotheredincheese Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    Question for those of you who make your own protein bars - what sort of consistency do they have? Are they as dense and chewy as the shop bought ones?
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Brit here too.

The Nature Valley bars taste good but are really carb bars with a little protein - I eat them while cycling so the carbs are useful.

One to avoid - The Protein Works products are generally good but their whey and oat crisp protein flapjack bars induce farting on a truly epic scale. Outdoor use only!
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Question for those of you who make your own protein bars - what sort of consistency do they have? Are they as dense and chewy as the shop bought ones?

That's what i want to know, and is one of the reasons i haven't made my own yet.. I would also like to know how long they keep for, i don't want to have to eat 20 bars in a week... Not that i wouldn't be up to the challenge if they tasted good :lol:
  • Troutsy
    Troutsy Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Quest mint chocolate chip: 190 calories, 9G fat, 21G Carb, 20G protein $24.99 a box from the Quest website. (You can get them cheaper from other sites)

Oh yeah! One bar: 210 Calories, 7G fat,25G Carb, 20G protein $27.99 a box from Oh Yeah!'s website. (Also, can get cheaper from other sites... I got mine off of Amazon for 22 I think)