Does hunger ever go away?

Options
13»

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Is it really hunger? Or is it craving? Or are you bored?

Also, people are just used to feeling full from overeating...feeling full isn't normal either. It's normal to feel hungry as meal time approaches and not to feel stuffed all of the time.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    In my experience - no. Not if I'm eating at my calorie goal. Hunger goes away just fine when I overeat! :)
  • 12Sarah2015
    12Sarah2015 Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    Drink water
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    boolz wrote: »
    2) I made peace, even happiness, with feeling hungry as mealtime approached. Years ago, I read a book that said that chronic overeaters miss out on a fundamental source of security that we had (if we were among the lucky of the earth) as infants: the knowledge that when we grow hungry, someone will feed us. The idea is that this daily cycle of feeling hunger and feeding it is emotionally strong. I don't know how much of that I honestly buy into, but I decided to embrace it.

I don't entirely buy all of that either, but the essence of it, that food deprivation leads to food insecurity, is blantant. We overfed westerners often impose it on ourselves, first, wanting to be slim, and when that fails, in an attempt to curb the overeating. My way of dealing with this, has been meal planning. Making it really really certain that I am going to be fed, and being detailed as to what I am going to eat, has made me, over time, very relaxed around eating. I even learnt to enjoy waiting for and anticipating a meal, much inspired by Allen Carr's book. The old adage "if you're hungry, eat a carrot - if you don't want a carrot, you aren't hungry" suddenly made sense to me - I had already decided that a meal consists of at least protein, fat and vegetables - most readymeals and "junk" food is easy to eat, practically predigested, whereas eating a real meal takes some effort - preparation, chewing, and I need to be motivated for that to bother. I will know for certain if I need fuel or something else.

Ya, Mom used to say that to us, only it was apples rather than carrots :)

I also find that meals that take a long time to chew or to consume in general are more filling than those that I eat quickly, but have more calories. For example, this 300 calorie chicken and vegetable salad I've been working on for 40 minutes will keep me more full than twice the amount of ice cream would.

• CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    I like the carrot thing. It's exactly what we do with mini me. "I'm hungry". "Have an apple". "I don't want an apple". "You're not hungry, then". "I'm not hungry, I just want cake '. Now we're getting somewhere! If it's true for the sprogs, it's true for the adults too.
  • LoFoSho100
    LoFoSho100 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I notice that I feel hungry for a few days when making changes to my diet. I drank A LOT of water and tried to keep filling snacks available so I didn't get HANGRY. After my body adjusts, I sometimes have a hard time eating enough because I don't feel hungry at all or I get full super quickly. However, if I go crazy and easy a bunch of pizza and ice cream, I will be uncomfortable afterwards, but then I notice that I almost start over again after a binge and will be back to feeling hungry the next day. If you are feeling constantly hungry, maybe take a slower approach to cutting calories. If you can't go from 3,000 to 1,800 overnight, that's okay! Maybe shoot for 2,800 and then 2,500, and then 2,200. If you are walking around starving, you aren't going to last on your journey! Do what you need to do to be successful.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    It does take a while getting used to feeling hunger but plenty of protein and fats keeps hunger at bay.