Low fat or low carb? How much have you lost?

Options
Trying to figure out which is the better approach, I would love to hear your guys opinions and how much weight you lost!

Replies

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    It's going to vary a lot from person to person.

I did lower fat and higher carb for most of my life. When I was younger (under 35) and more active, It suited me well. Eventually my health started slipping (developed insulin resistance and some autoimmune issues) and I started gaining weight. I now find that LCHF keeps me healthest.

So in a nutshell, in my 20's I was low fat and maintained a slim figure along with a fair bit of exercise; I was about 10 lbs heavier than when I was 18. In my 30s my health declined, I could not exercise as much and I gained weight - eventually gained 35 lbs with most of it in my late 30s. I was low fat at the time. Now I eat a ketogenic diet and lost close to 40 lbs.

For those with insulin resistance (PCOS, NAFLD, T2D, Alzheimers and CAD) LCHF may help with weight loss. For others? There won't be any real difference.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    I didn't really do either. I increased my protein and sort of just let the other two land where they do. I lost a total of 62 pounds, not counting my highest weight when pregnant.
  • tjones0411
    tjones0411 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I did very low carb and lost about 20 pounds. I'm 5'6" and went from 146 and now am at 127. The majority came off the first 3 months. I have since raised my carb intake a bit and focus primarily on calories, but still try to stay less than 75g per day...because it's what feels most comfortable to me.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    My diet has always been on the lower side for carbs. It's just how I've always eaten; at least since I moved away from the land of Cheerios, Ramen, and frozen burritos (home with parents who know *kitten* all about food).

When I was fat as hell, I ate relatively few carbs (125-150).
    As I lost 114 lbs, I ate even fewer carbs (25-50).
    Either approach can work, or can screw you, depending upon your deficit.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    Personal preference. I have done both personally and lost no more weight, any better or faster doing either method. Based on my exercise, low carb did not cut it.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Neither is better. The best diet for YOU is one you can not just stick to, but live happily with. (Notice I said "one", not "the"? A multitude of different combinations could work well for any given person.)

I have never gone true low carb nor true low fat, but I did find cutting more from the carbs a better strategy for me. The challenge is not the weight loss phase, though - we can do lots of unpleasant things for a short while - but the mainenance phase, which is for life. If you don't like the way you eat, you won't stick to it, and you need to stick to it. I lost almost 50 pounds, twice. Go figure.
  • LucyJones195
    LucyJones195 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I have done low fat most of my adult life with some success but decreasingly so now I am approaching my 50s. I have just gone a huge brain change and gone LCHF and results are very promising. Coming to the end of week one and lost around 7lbs (water?) but very happy. Week 2 and 3 might be a better guide .... I will let you know. I have never lost more than 1 or 2 a week on low fat before ...
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Scientifically neither

Low carb will give you an early boost through water weight loss but within 12 weeks results are equal. Anecdotal evidence merely reflects on personal preference

The question is which c'n you stick to
  • JinjoJoey
    JinjoJoey Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    At the end of the day, it's a calorie deficit that loses weight, regardless of the diet type. Unless you have some medical condition where you can't process carbs or fat properly. Go with whichever balance keeps you most satisfied. If you're super active, high carb may be the way to go, but doesn't mean you have to.
  • Wynterbourne
    Wynterbourne Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options
    Low calorie. 95 lbs as of Friday.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Neither low fat nor low carb. Counting calories, moderate fat, moderate to high carb. 90 pounds gone so far.
    There isn't one macro split that is better. The best macro split for you is the one that is easiest to maintain within your calorie budget.
  • abadvat
    abadvat Posts: 1,241 Member
    Options
    general weight loss is low calorie - low carb is irrelevant and low fat can be dangerous (depending on levels of fat intake obviously). The low carb / macro twerking comes into play when you hit a low BF% and need to go down further your shred lane!
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    5-45% caloric deficit (higher when fatter, lower as weight dropped), 113.6 lbs. lost.
    Yes, I have always been low-carb, and itt's irrelevant to the loss. It only contributed in that, I prefer to eat this way, so it made everything easier to adhere to. I was LC when I was 265 as well.
    I'll be low-carb through most of my bulk phases as well (TKD). This doesn't mean that LC makes you fat. ;)
  • caradack1985
    caradack1985 Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I've tried both, they both made me lose weight, they were also both unsustainable and gave me bowel problems. Now I'm doing neither, but my diet is sustainable and I'm not running to the loo ten times a day.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Trying to figure out which is the better approach, I would love to hear your guys opinions and how much weight you lost!

neither, just a good old fashioned calorie deficit for me!
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options

Neither. Whatever you can adhere to until you met your goal. You don't even have to go low in either, you could just reduce your caloric intake with moderate amounts of all macros.
  • Shadowmf023
    Shadowmf023 Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    I lost 40lb with low fat. But for the past 2 years I've struggled to lose a single pound. Because I just keep "mini-binging" up to maintenance or slightly above. I just keep craving and wanting food.

I've been on low carb for a few weeks now and although my loss has mostly been water weight, I'm about to break into fat loss, I think, because I generally only hold about 5lb water weight. The cravings and wanting have gone away and I honesty haven't had this much control in years.

It's not for everyone though, and the best WOE is generally the one you can stick with consistently and for the longest time. :smile:
  • Michael190lbs
    Michael190lbs Posts: 1,510 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Sued0nim wrote: »
    Scientifically neither

Low carb will give you an early boost through water weight loss but within 12 weeks results are equal. Anecdotal evidence merely reflects on personal preference

The question is which c'n you stick to

Exactly! I did low carb High fat lost 100 lbs because it worked for my particular self only. Now that I'm 180 lbs Goal weight I have raised my carbs to 150 grams and lowered my fat to just under 80-100 grams to give myself a more balanced diet, I will eventually get to 200 grams of carbs once I figure out some type of Carb I can eat on a regular basis and stay satisfied with my food choices. Protein intake will never be an issue for me

• BiggDaddy58
    BiggDaddy58 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Low Calorie..although looking at my diet ..it is higher Carbs and lower fat..I am 57 and diabetic (so my Dr says)

I have lost 71 pounds since March 1st and am on no meds..
  • coreyreichle
    coreyreichle Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options

Low calories, standard macro split. Lost 50 lbs in ~ 1 year, and I cheated quite a bit (Logged it all, though).