The calories you use when excising

Options
I noticed when filling out my walking that it added it back onto the calories that you are allowed. Why is that? Does that mean you have to eat those calories again?

Replies

• dykask
    dykask Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    I think it is your choice to eat those back. If you have cut yourself below your BMR, probably a good idea to eat some of those calories back.

I don't actually pay attention to MPF accounting. It seems that a lot of people do pay attention to what MPF says.
  • JayZ1488
    JayZ1488 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    If your trying to lose weight and lost extra calories from exercise. You can either eat them back, or don't am you will lose even more weight. Good luck!
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,487 Member
    Options
    MFP works with a NEAT (non exercise activity thermogenesis) formula.

It allots your deficit with no exercise.

If you exercise you are expected to eat those calories back. (If you are using a gym machine or relying on MFP for your calorie burn start by eating 50-75% back and adjust so you are staying within your weekly weight loss deficit.

Eating back your exercise calories will not affect your deficit, it will help you stay healthy and alert while you are losing.

You are doing yourself a disservice not eating them back.

Cheers, h.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    You should eat a portion of them back to ensure that you are getting enough nutrition to fuel your exercise. Here's a good read:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/818082/exercise-calories-again-wtf/p1