Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

How do you maintain a low calorie intake for long?

Hi All,

I'm currently doing a fast, and I've noticed that after a few days into it-it's hard for my body to take in food since it's gotten used to minimal eating. I eat/drink very early before morning daylight, and don't eat again until the evening around 8:30pm. So, on some days I can only handle eating 600 calories for that day.
I currently weigh 203lbs, 5'5
I'm trying to reach my weight goal of 140-150lbs

Question: For how much longer can I maintain a 600-1000 tops calorie intake to lose weight, without the weight coming back?

Replies

• 230137isntmyweight
    230137isntmyweight Posts: 256 Member
    Are you being monitered by a Dr.? If not the answer is you just can't. This diet is clearly unsustainable long term and is also clearly unhealthy. Eating less then your BMR results in flagging energy, malnutrition, and a whole host of medical problems. Please see a nutritionist or other medical professional in order to find out what would be healthy for you.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    You can't. Eat sensibly to lose weight and it'll stay off. Do what you're doing and it'll come back on its not sustainable at all
  • dessertlover27
    dessertlover27 Posts: 385 Member
    Are you fasting for Ramadhan? Or just to lose weight? Because if it's just to lose weight, this thread is not going to end up anywhere that you want it to.

And VCLD is really dangerous except when monitored by doctors. A moderate deficit from your TDEE is the way to go.
  • Bobbie8786
    Bobbie8786 Posts: 202 Member
    There is only one sure fire way to lose weight and then maintain it and that is to change your lifestyle permanently. Crash diets don't work long term because that diet will end and in that process you have done nothing to retrain yourself on how to eat in the real world. The people on this board who preach moderation know what they are talking about.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    There is only one sure fire way to lose weight and then maintain it and that is to change your lifestyle permanently. Crash diets don't work long term because that diet will end and in that process you have done nothing to retrain yourself on how to eat in the real world. The people on this board who preach moderation know what they are talking about.

^THIS!^

Why would you want to put yourself through this? Very low calorie diets are dangerous (unless medically supervised). Very low calorie diets are taxing to your body...... your heart, lungs, kidneys, etc. use many more calories (daily) that what you are eating.

You probably think that your heart, lungs, kidneys, etc. can just use stored fat for energy ......BUT your basic bodily functions need more than just fat ..... this is why your body will catobolize muscle (healthy tissue) to keep your heart pumping.

Other non necessities ..... like hair or nails will not be nourished. This is why people on very low calorie diets experience hair loss eventually. A full head of hair is less important than lung function.