BBC iPlayer "Clean Eating's Dirty Secrets"

Options
Just watching this show, in which a health-and-beauty YouTuber tries out various permutations of clean eating and consults dietitians about them. Pretty interesting, just putting it up here in case anyone else is interested. I'm afraid I think you can only get it in the UK.

Replies

• Tallawah_
    Tallawah_ Posts: 2,471 Member
    Options
    Thanks! That was an interesting watch! The key take for me was that nutritionist and dietitian are not the same thing. People need to be very careful who they take their advice from...
  • minniestar55
    minniestar55 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting, will check it out.
  • 35dollars
    35dollars Posts: 832 Member
    Options
    I'm afraid I think you can only get it in the UK.

Unless of course you use a VPN with a UK point of presence. ;-)

• RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    Nope can't see it.. get message BBC iPlayer only works in the UK. :(
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    i just love that they bash freelee and her pseudoscience in this documentary. :smiley:
  • terricherry2
    terricherry2 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Saw it. Really liked it. Would've been good if it was longer and a bit more in depth though. I think it'll take more than a 30 minute doc to convince people that have really bought into that stuff. The interview with the acid/alkaline diet woman was so awkward to watch, especially when she refused to talk about certain things.
  • fr33sia12
    fr33sia12 Posts: 1,258 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    It is interesting how some people just blindly believe everything You Tubers tell them. I watched a video by Madeleine Shaw where she says you shouldn't eat late in the day as if you go to bed on a full stomach the food just sits there in your stomach and rots. I left a comment saying that was wrong as did a few others, but she never replied. She's supposed to be a health coach?!?!?
  • lizzynose
    lizzynose Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I watched the programme and didn't really know what to think. It seemed like the programme was very negative about clean eating from the outset. Nothing what they said was a surprise or a 'secret' Everybody knows that people on the internet talk rubbish and it has long been common knowledge that nutritionist is a meaningless term. Taking clean eating to an extreme can be a bad thing if you aren't eating enough calories or prone to disordered eating, but generally eating more fruit and veg and less processed stuff is good thing.... The programme had a bit of a ' yuck vegetables ' vibe to it.

I am not a 'clean eater' but I quite like some clean eating websites for the recipes for smoothies and stuff. I think that is how most people use them. I wouldn't expect them to have any knowledge of nutrition anymore than I would expect Gordon Ramsay or Nigella Lawson to!

In some ways I think the clean eating bloggers are doing a lot to advertise healthier foods and make it seem more appealing when usually you just see ads for junk food or cooking shows that make dishes swimming in butter and cream.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    lizzynose wrote: »
    In some ways I think the clean eating bloggers are doing a lot to advertise healthier foods and make it seem more appealing when usually you just see ads for junk food or cooking shows that make dishes swimming in butter and cream.

Eh, there are tons of recipe blogs with foods I'd call healthy (with the understanding that the overall diet is what's really healthy or not, of course).

I like lots of vegan and vegetarian blogs, and I also really like 101cookbooks. epicurious will give you what you ask for, and lots of ideas, and there are numerous others. I don't think I use any self-proclaimed "clean" blogs, and I don't see how they'd be that different from normal recipes. IMO, the dirty secret of clean eating is they call themselves "clean" as a self-congratulatory thing while not eating much differently from anyone else who is health conscious.

I'd watch the video if it were available where I am, however.
  • cecsav1
    cecsav1 Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    You can find it in the US. I watched it on YouTube
  • Qskim
    Qskim Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    I found the dietician's take on how it can veil an eating disorder interesting. My kids are vulnerable to the misinformation and that bothers me.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    i just love that they bash freelee and her pseudoscience in this documentary. :smiley:

Just this alone would make it worth watching :lol:

• Carnhot
    Carnhot Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    We on MFP are a more educated audience than most, so maybe things which didn't surprise you, lizzynose, are not generally known. I didn't find her negative about clean eating - she gave it a thorough go - but negative about excess. She checked with real scientists and actual dieticians, and her interviewing of the alkaline blogger was open and respectful; it was the blogger herself, and her refusal to answer reasonable questions, which garnered my disrespect. I don't think this has been on mainstream BBC, just iplayer, which is a shame in terms of potential audience.
  • Strawblackcat
    Strawblackcat Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    Can someone explain to me why she couldn't eat eggs? I thought eggs were one of the "cleanest" foods that you could eat, provided that they come from a good source. They have one ingredient: egg.
  • fr33sia12
    fr33sia12 Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    In the first sentence she's already going into it negatively saying "joy free" and yes it might be to some people and it might not be to others, but she assumes it is before even trying it.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Is that it ...I couldn't get past the first 10 mins ....there's just opinion and bad camera work IMO

I'd have liked science ...

I don't disagree that clean eating is faddish and a catch all for loads of approaches ..some of which are inherent unhealthy

• fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    lizzynose wrote: »

And what is wrong with butter and cream?
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    That's the thing--it can be done so many different ways, how can you generalize?

I used to be overly neurotic about eating "naturally" (which to me meant a bunch of different things, including some degree of seasonality and a focus on local, within reason -- whenever I threatened to go truly overboard I remembered that I love coffee and vegetables in the winter and salmon), but I wasn't orthorexic at all, and it wasn't joyless -- to me it was pleasurable for the most part, which was the point. The health rationale was bogus, but eh. Clearly people can do such things in an unhealthy way (I got to the point where it was making my life harder, not easier, for no actual benefit, so had a reality check with myself about why I was doing it), but that doesn't mean they are.

Like I said in the other thread (there are two of these, right?), I think the real dirty secret of "clean" eating is that most self-proclaimed "clean eaters" eat basically like most people who are vaguely health conscious and just feel extra special good using the term clean for some reason.