New Normal II

Options
I posted this yesterday under New Members....but I am thinking this might be a better spot for the post:

Here's my story, wondering if anybody has had a similar experience.

I've come to believe that weight loss, for me, is mostly an issue of food volume (and to a lesser degree food type). I do not have a junk food issue so it's not like I am reaching for bags of salty crunchy things or sweets. I do not like fast food either, so no issue there.

I do like a relatively large volume of food at my meals. Meats and starches in ample quantities are on the menu. That, combined with a changing body (I now gain weight eating the same volume of food that used to keep me stable 20 years ago) has caused an issue. For a variety of logistical reasons I end up eating in restaurants or at functions often. What I really want to do is develop an approach of eating less food. I don't think, generally, what I eat is "bad" from a nutrition perspective. That stated, I do believe some fine tuning (say ordering a salad with oil & vinegar vs. blue cheese) is in order and that needs to be part of the plan.

It's all very challenging because I literally can't eat the way I am accustomed to eating because my body had changed as I go through adulthood. It's very hard to get my mind wrapped around the idea that a plate full about half of the food as I used to eat is about the right amount for me now.

I'm also in a variety of social situations where alcohol is present. I honestly don't think having a cocktail or a glass of wine is a bad thing in and of itself. I'm not particularly inclined to not consume these things as they are socially fun and sometimes expected. That stated, it does add to the overall picture of intake reduction.

My question to myself is how do I "right size" my caloric intake and re-train myself to literally consume less than I used to because there is a "new normal" for me?

If anybody has the same experiences, please share. Thanks.

Replies

• litsy3
    litsy3 Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    People may disagree with this, but what worked for me was temporarily cutting back on starchy foods, especially bread and pasta (for a few months). I don't think carbs are intrinsically bad, or that I lost weight at the time through anything other than eating fewer calories overall, but when I started eating them again I found that my appetite was smaller. I think it is because I was used to the feeling of 'fullness' that you get from eating bread and pasta, which are quite bulky foods, plus water retention. Once I was used to a more 'sated' rather than 'full' feeling I found it much easier to resize my portion expectations. So I could eat 'as much bread as I wanted' again because I didn't want that much.
  • wolf0213
    wolf0213 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I have had to deal with this issue and it is very hard. At first I started to reduce the amount of food I put on my plate. Then I started by measuring and weighing my food and looking at what I have on my plate. Trying to balance the protein, carbs, fats and add the fruits and veggies started helping me get there. This helped me adjust what I should have in terms of portions.

To this day I still struggle with how much I eat because depending on how demanding of a workout I have, I get really hungry. So I started drinking more water prior to eating so it would trigger my brain that I'm full. In most cases this helps, when I want a snack I look for nuts or fruit that help me curb my appetite.

In terms of alcohol, I used to drink every night and now I have not had a drink in two months. When I am in a social situation where I want to have a drink, I drink one and then I may have water for the rest of the evening. This way I'm not adding a bunch of extra calories.

It is hard to make the adjustments for these things, but with the right amount of changes and taking the time to adjust it does help. I have done this a couple of ways the fast change and eventually I failed. As I have made the changes more gradually, it has helped me stay on track as I give my body time to adjust to the new reality.

I hope this helps and if you need someone to help you with making the change please feel free to add me and we can help each other together.
  • AJF230
    AJF230 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    wolf0213 wrote: »

In terms of alcohol, I used to drink every night and now I have not had a drink in two months. When I am in a social situation where I want to have a drink, I drink one and then I may have water for the rest of the evening. This way I'm not adding a bunch of extra calories.

Me too, though its been a while. I would have "one" serving every night. In quotes, because if it was wine from an open bottle, that could end up being a little more, and was hard to measure. Or one beer. The kind of thing where "if I had it in the house" I would drink it, one serving a day, until it was gone. Not like an alcoholic, but just out of habit. The effect being a daily slug of empty calories. Plus, its not a great thing to make a habit of.
    Last night I budgeted in my MFP for a beer with dinner. Stuff is 220 calories for a bottle, and I used to have 2 when visiting my parents in law. Wow, a lot of calories slipped by before I started tracking. I also feel much better after just one. Despite being almost 200 pounds, I have a very low alcohol tolerance and 2 beers makes me want to just fall asleep, then my head hurts.

Back to the OP...Sometimes our bodies develop bad habits like sending an "im hungry" signal when we really are just "bored." That's a dangerous habit many Americans have gotten into.
    Eating slower often helps, too. You don't have to fill your plate, don't rely on social pressure about what is right to eat for yourself.

• tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,716 Member
    Options
    Good advice given. I particularly like this from @AJF230 :"Back to the OP...Sometimes our bodies develop bad habits like sending an "im hungry" signal when we really are just "bored." That's a dangerous habit many Americans have gotten into.
    Eating slower often helps, too. You don't have to fill your plate, don't rely on social pressure about what is right to eat for yourself."

Very true and OP I think you somewhat answered your own question as far as how to adjust to a "new normal" by using the term "train". That's exactly what it is: you set a plan, follow it closely, and reap the benefits over time. You are a volume eater. Lots of people are, so just gradually reduce portions. If you need to temporarily remove a food group or certain items, then do so. In order to re-train your appetite you need to listen to your body. Slow down when eating. Set down your utensils between bites. Before going back for 2nds have a glass of water and wait 10 - 15 min. Re-learn your actual hunger signs. You sound determined and on the right track so just be consistent and patient!