Six weeks into Dance lessons

Options
DetroitDarin
DetroitDarin Posts: 955 Member
I love it. First five weeks were some basic country dances - two-step and line dances. Last week we started swing. Holy cow that's a lot of foot action (for the pervs, not THAT kind :) ). I wonder who was the dude or chick that made that up back in the day. "Hey! Let's do this dance stuff, but the kicker is - you can NEVER stop moving your feet, even if you're doing stunts and *kitten*! woot!"

It's a work-out - although not intensive. The biggest aspect is my cute little dance instructor. I feel like a big goof next to her. She's a pro - and she definitely earns her money.

Anyone else new or just learning or want's to learn?

True story - a few weeks ago I was a little early and my instructor was teaching what looked like an 8 year old girl. They were doing ballet.

As she finished the mom walked in and told the girl "hey honey - I think it's this man's turn (gesturing at me). The little girl stopped and almost gasped...

"Uh...YOU are learning dance? What dance are YOU learning??" With the MOST-perfect "WTF" look on her face.

Being a 43 year old chubby guy learning Dance brings that reaction out in lots of people. :)

Replies

• synchkat
    synchkat Posts: 37,369 Member
    Options
    I'm jealous. I love dance classes.

Good for you. I bet its lots of fun
  • DetroitDarin
    Options
    dude, I do that in bed. Before I got to sleep...if you know what I mean.... ;)
  • DetroitDarin
    Options
    of course I am ALONE in that bed...but still...
  • DetroitDarin
    Options
    It's a great way to meet people and get out of the house. I do mainly latin style dances (salsa, bachata) for about 6 years.

Keep it up! I think it's something you'll enjoy.

Thank you! My goal is to be generally non-embarass-myself level at a number of dances. I decided it's time to stop with the "oh no! I don't dance" bs.
  • JessicaJS23
    JessicaJS23 Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    25biaot9p8ud.gif

Been on my bucket list since I was a tyke thanks to this movie! <3
  • DetroitDarin
    Options
    25biaot9p8ud.gif

Dude, go do it. Find time for what you want - don't wait until you're practically a geezer like me :)
  • JessicaJS23
    JessicaJS23 Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    25biaot9p8ud.gif

Dude, go do it. Find time for what you want - don't wait until you're practically a geezer like me :)

I am almost practically one! This is a small town .. I may just have to watch YouTube tutorials :wink:
    That's awesome your taking them!
  • DetroitDarin
    Options
    25biaot9p8ud.gif

I am almost practically one! This is a small town .. I may just have to watch YouTube tutorials :wink:
    That's awesome you're taking them!

Watch 'em then. Or drive a ways. The idea is - regret is an SOB. And - wha? You're almost a geezer and you are - judging by that pic - in your early 20s?
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    Pretty soon this will be you....

I'm addicted to swing dance since starting classes a couple of years ago. Sunday I fly to Iceland for an entire WEEK of swing dance parties, and last weekend was nothing but Shag.

That'll be your life soon.
  • climbinggalaxy
    climbinggalaxy Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I start next Tuesday with a wickid instructor! I'm so stoked! Pretty sweet to find this thread
  • DetroitDarin
    Options
    girlinahat wrote: »
    Pretty soon this will be you....

I'm addicted to swing dance since starting classes a couple of years ago. Sunday I fly to Iceland for an entire WEEK of swing dance parties, and last weekend was nothing but Shag.

That'll be your life soon.

:D I love that! This guy (john lindo) was my inspiration.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wIuSZznCWuk

Really great to see the atypical-sized guy out there workin' it.

This weekend I'm visiting a wcs event in Freiburg, Germany - there's no chance of participating, but I want to go and check out the scene.
    I start next Tuesday with a wickid instructor! I'm so stoked! Pretty sweet to find this thread

WOOT! :) You'll have to keep us posted on progress!

My progress -since this thread I've had another lesson. I don't have any victories really -except things are starting to really come together. My legs and mind have a more-clear path of communication. I started to put-together little drills I'd been doing - balance and what-not mostly - and seeing how they affect how I move. I think WCS is more my flavour - but will keep learning east coast because...uh..because it's neat too? :)
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    Great to hear you're already travelling and @climbinggalaxy nice to see another convert to dance.

Over here in Europe (well the UK at least) we don't tend to use the West Coast or East Coast monikers. To us it's just Lindy Hop, as revived by Frankie Manning et al. So we tend to learn partner Charleston to start with, then Lindy Hop, which picks up Charleston steps at times, with some Lindy Charleston thrown in and jazz steps. The only other swing-type classes you'll get are jive and modern jive, plus the ceroc/leroc derivative, but the Lindy scene just tends to be full of Lindy Hoppers.

Then of course there's Balboa and Collegiate Shag for when the music gets faster.....

I love the social aspect, and the travelling aspect - there's constant festival weekends and the only limit is money and your calf strength. As to taking up dance as an 'older' guy - well tell yourself that learning dance is one of the BEST things for your mental and physical health.
  • DetroitDarin
    Options
    ^^ Got it! makes sense!

What I tell myself? "Darin, that looks like FUN. You like to have fun!"

Toss in a little bit of "Anything you haven't learned will limit you at some point" and...here we are :)
  • DetroitDarin
    Options
    Over the weekend I visited a west-coast-swing championship. I went there not knowing how to dance. Came back with many new friends. Folks were eager to teach, more eager to get to know me. Felt like a family - complete with drama of course. But nonetheless it felt terrific. Next step is to find local instructors :)
  • DetroitDarin
    Options
    Dance class 7 or maybe it's 8 last night.

Most fun yet. While I was off on some east-coast-swing, the 2 step was super fun. Got some spins and turns down fairly good.

Best part for me - knowing I will never have to be self-regulated to watching folks have fun like this. I'm not good yet, but to people my age who are scared to even start? I'm Fred Astaire.