appetite suppressants

Options
I'm just starting this whole weight loss thing, better late than never. I am wondering if anyone has ever tried GNC's appetite suppressant appetrex? It generally has really good reviews online but wanted to talk to someone who has really tried it, I am looking for that initial boost I need to get things going.

Replies

• witchy_wife
    witchy_wife Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    I have a big appetite. My hubby is 6ft 3 and I can easily eat as much as him! But for me, if I take appetite suppressants.....what happens when I stop taking them? I want to lose this weight and keep it off so I figure if I did that I would end up gaining back what I lost once I stopped the pills.

For me, eating at least 140g of protein and eating regular helps me to control my appetite. I eat things like brown rice and wholemeal bread, mainly because it keeps me fuller for longer. I've tried 6 meals a day....and 1 meal a day....but for me I have discovered eating 3 meals with 2 (ideally containing protein) snacks is best. And keeping enough calories for a treat in the evening is important to me staying on plan.

If you are just starting out, why not give it a go without the pills? You might surprise yourself :)
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    An appropriate calorie goal and a balanced diet, incorporating a variety of fresh, whole foods, planned out to fit in with your daily schedule, would not normally leave you uncomfortably hungry. Hunger is a physiological response and supposed to tell us when it's time to eat. You can learn to accept and appreciate that. Cravings are not the same as hunger, and you can find ways to lessen them too. Getting enough quality sleep and rest, exercise and fun, plus stress management, all this can make weight loss easier, because it also contributes to improving health and well-being.

Pills is not the solution.

(I get a feeling this will sound like blah-blah-blah to anyone starting out? :s )
  • AmandaHugginkiss
    AmandaHugginkiss Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    Pills don't work long term. They barely work short term. A better approach would be to track your calories, weighing your food for accuracy, and making sure you're getting adequate lean protein and fiber for satiety. That works long term.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    Fiber and fluid act as appetite suppressants for me.

Checkout the one star reviews on Amazon. Not sure if this is the exact product; there were several options: https://www.amazon.com/GNC-LeanTM-Appetrex-ControlTM-Tablets/product-reviews/B001KYUEA6/ref=cm_cr_dp_qt_hist_one?ie=UTF8&filterByStar=one_star&showViewpoints=0

That said, I did some things to give me a boost getting started: I bought some nice workout clothes and a book or two.

I felt really good after tweaking my diet and getting into regular exercise.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    Initial boost is to just START using MFP, food scale and your free will! If you need a little extra energy boost caffeinated coffee, should do the trick.

Pillz or magic formulas that swear weight loss 100% guaranteed are all wanting to to drain your wallet.
  • SFBMCBuck
    SFBMCBuck Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    started out w diet and MFP and was making good losses....however, plateaued a few weeks ago and started experimenting. I started using synedrex (appetite suppressant) and started losing again. Broke thru 230 and on my way to 200 (my goal). I'm not worried about gaining it back once I stop using it...I am pretty disciplined and eating healthy now...
  • Hanaleigirl711
    Hanaleigirl711 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    thanks everyone for your replies! have started exercising again and logging and preplanning food, we will see how it goes:)
  • srecupid
    srecupid Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    Have something high in protein or fiber and maybe a hot beverage. Don't spend money on something so dangerous. Keep the deficit reasonable and distract yourself with a book or something.
  • BoxerBrawler
    BoxerBrawler Posts: 2,032 Member
    Options
    What everyone else said..
    Also, it's ok to be slightly hungry now and then. Not starving or ravenous, but just kinda sorta hungry. This is something that was important for me to remember when I first started out. Realizing that I don't have to be full (or stuffed), every minute of the day. I also learned how to eat until I am satisfied... not full. That was a big one.
  • grannynot
    grannynot Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I suppose everyone is different - but I'll cut the OP a bit of slack. I remember that in the week before my period - I was ravenous. I've read that a female actually DOES burn some extra calories during PMS; and if you can ride out the "hunger storm", you should lose an extra pound or so? I can see where a fiber-based suppressant could be helpful AT TIMES; but as others have said - relying on it daily isn't a good idea.
  • TheLegendaryBrandonHarris
    Options
    Not familiar with the GNC pills you mentioned, although I used a prescription appetite suppressant last year for eight months or so and lost close to 90 pounds. I would not have been able to lose that much weight without it.

Does that indicate a character flaw? A lack of moral fiber? A personal weakness and failing? Maybe so. I don't care. I'm no longer on blood pressure medication, my back pain is significantly less, no more sleep apnea, and my bloodwork is all 'in the green.' To me, the destination was far more important than the road I took to get there.

I wish you the best of luck.