Hangovers on a deficit

Options
I've been back on the wagon tracking consistently for a few weeks. This weekend I went to a wedding and ate light in the beginning of the day to plan for the food and booze I would consume later. I drank a fair amount and the next day I was ravenously hungry along with my mild hangover. Eating on a deficit with increased hunger from a hangover was pretty miserable for me.

Did anyone stop or seriously reduce their drinking for this very reason, was it worth it or did you find a way around it?

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    Sure, I'd drink more if I could do so without the calories or hangovers.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Yes, when i first started losing weigh i cut way back because i can eat the whole world when hungover.

same principle as you used now, i try and 'save' some calories for a ginormous fry up the morning after!
  • fr33sia12
    fr33sia12 Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    I've completely cut out alcohol while I'm losing weight, maybe even for good or the odd special occasion. I over eat when I drink and the day after too so stay away from it. To be honest I don't miss it at all, but I rarely go out drinking anyway so not much of a change.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    Yes planned events, I still have them. And the planned greasy food afterwards.

Do I drink less now than I did before MFP definitely. I am a responsible drunk now, and drink to avoid hangovers, but can still drink to "forget"!
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    Yeah...I don't really drink as much anymore, partly because of that and just the calories in booze. Through most of my weightloss I had a boyfriend who didn't need to drink very much either, and wasn't a late night snacker, so it was easier. Now I'm single...I'll go out on a date, which ends up being miserable, and come home with a slight buzz and want to eat the house. It's really frustrating.
  • robininfl
    robininfl Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    I don't drink much, definitely can't do it on an empty stomach as I'm too much of a lightweight. What works for me is just keeping it to Saturday night, then having big breakfast on Sunday, then nothing until suppertime because the big breakfast works to keep me full through lunch.

I can't eat with an actual hangover, though, eew, and if getting hangovers would definitely conclude I was drinking too much for health.

But a wedding, that's kind of a one-off event, I'd just go ahead and eat and drink and not worry about it, then be more restrictive the next week.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    I rarely drink to the point of being hung over, but when I do, I just take a mental health day with some Chinese takeout. It's one day.