Creatine help

Options
My husband wants to start taking a Creatine supplement in pill form. He is a heavy weight lifter. He used to take one in powder form back in the day, but hasn't in years and wanted to hear from those of you who take it which ones you like and take.

Gracias!

Replies

• kenestrick1
    kenestrick1 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Here's a site i get on a lot for ideas/information
    www.bodybuilding.com
    I just started using a powder for of creatine. Unless the pill is a capsule style with powder in it I'd think the only difference between the two are how fast they are absorbed by the body. I think it would be easier to adjust how much you're taking while using a powder too. Although, if you just want to be able to down some quickly with some water on your way out of the gym...maybe the pill would be better? But you really should eat a good meal or at least have a protein shake after lifting.
    Lol i realize this probably wasn't much help. Sorry I don't have a definitive answer for you.
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    Buy the cheapest creatine monohydrate you can find. Don't worry about brand.
  • abadvat
    abadvat Posts: 1,241 Member
    Options
    all creatine are born equal - brand is irrelevant as long as you only take creatine and you are not looking for a mix.
    Creatine mono is basic everyday use creatine - 5 grams down the neck, off you go irrespective if pills or powder.
  • shor0814
    shor0814 Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    abadvat wrote: »
    all creatine are born equal - brand is irrelevant as long as you only take creatine and you are not looking for a mix.
    Creatine mono is basic everyday use creatine - 5 grams down the neck, off you go irrespective if pills or powder.

There are a couple of creatine variations but mono is the most common and cheapest by far.

I accidentally ended up with some creatine ethyl ester which is theoretically absorbed faster and lower dosed, and reduces bloat. The downside is that it is the most foul tasting thing I have ever tried and no tests actually back the theory. It is also expensive.

Just stick with cheap mono and be wary of any hype about different types.
  • Puravidablonde
    Puravidablonde Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. Ended up ordering him EFX Kre-Alkalyn. We will see if it works well for him. Appreciate all the advice.
  • pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Just get a simple creatine mono powder for cheap. I've used ore alkaline before, but prefer powdered creatine mono
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    i use powdered, mixed in water, cheap and easy.
  • bagge72
    bagge72 Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    I know you already ordered, but I'm with the powdered party, I just use the basic sixstar mono that I can get at CVS, and mix it with my BCAA's and drink it with that since timing doesn't matter with it.
  • Puravidablonde
    Options
    bagge72 wrote: »
    I know you already ordered, but I'm with the powdered party, I just use the basic sixstar mono that I can get at CVS, and mix it with my BCAA's and drink it with that since timing doesn't matter with it.

My husband specifically wanted a pill form since he already takes powders for protein and energy.
  • lemmie177
    lemmie177 Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    loridz wrote: »

My husband specifically wanted a pill form since he already takes powders for protein and energy.

I use plain creatine monohydrate cause its cheap and tasteless, so its easy to mix into anything else. It's also the form used in most studies. ~3-5g or so is the usual dose, which seems like a lot of pills. Hopefully, the pills are a different form so that the dosage isn't so high.
  • bagge72
    bagge72 Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    loridz wrote: »

That's the best thing about powder form, just added to your protein drink because it's tasteless. You can also just get a protein powder that has it in it already, which his might, so he would really just be over saturating, and not seeing anything extra from it.

• Michael190lbs
    Michael190lbs Posts: 1,510 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I eat 8-12 ounces of red meat everyday no need for creatine but have used it in the past mono
  • Puravidablonde
    Options
    I eat 8-12 ounces of red meat everyday no need for creatine but have used it in the past mono

Part of my husbands issue, he is a vegetarian.