Artifical Sweetner and Metobolic Derangement

Options
jayrudq
jayrudq Posts: 503 Member
Scientific study on Talk of the Nation right now...truth or fiction?

http://www.mediapost.com/publications/article/204320/study-says-artificial-sweeteners-harmful-aba-scof.html#axzz2Yr8n1sG5

I do believe in derangement. See it all the time. On here, too.

Replies

• jdm_taco
    jdm_taco Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    I have not had any problems consuming artificial sweeteners. Has not effected my desire for consuming more sweets. I think diet drinks taste better than regular and don't waste cals on liquid unless its a milkshake and that is more of a semi solid lol
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Scientific study on Talk of the Nation right now...truth or fiction?

http://www.mediapost.com/publications/article/204320/study-says-artificial-sweeteners-harmful-aba-scof.html#axzz2Yr8n1sG5

I do believe in derangement. See it all the time. On here, too.

Now did she omit any studies from her review and did you misrepresent any of the findings of the studies she did include?
  • NathanFronk
    NathanFronk Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I have not had any problems consuming artificial sweeteners. Has not effected my desire for consuming more sweets. I think diet drinks taste better than regular and don't waste cals on liquid unless its a milkshake and that is more of a semi solid lol
    I don't think the article says that it's impossible to be in great shape and drink diet soda. My interpretation of the information is that people who are not actively worried about their weight and fitness levels, people who do not count calories and hit the gym five times a week, that those people tend to gain weight.

I agree with that premise. That people think they are saving all these calories while the artificial sweetner causes them to overcompensate in other areas and affects their metabolism.
  • jayrudq
    jayrudq Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

Now did she omit any studies from her review and did you misrepresent any of the findings of the studies she did include?
    [/quote]

Misrepresent? I listened to her speak on Talk of the Nation on National Public Radio and copy and pasted the article that was linked. I don't how I could have misrepresented anything. And, as I have said before, there is always going to be the person who lost 300 pounds drinking a 12 of diet a day. Doesn't change what looks like it might be science, not anecdotal info. Personally, I find artificially sweetened bevies WAY to sweet and if I do indulge, it is always diluted by at least 50% or more. And I could see (anecdotally) how it could lead to greater cravings.