Legs, Legs, Legs

Options
2»

Replies

• PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    I want jacked legs. Like, legs that can kick a tank apart. Legs that can hug Chuck Norris and stay intact. Legs that make Tina Turner run and hide. Legs that turn Xena the Warrior Princess and Beyonce into waifs in comparison. I want some legs. Ideas?

Btw, if I'm trying to build those muscles, is it possible that I can do so at home instead of at a gym? So far, I've been using circuit training fitness DVDs with hand weights that make you squat and kneel and jump and lunge and ..all the things. These focus mostly on toning. I'm okay with toning as I'm slowly increasing the amount of weight used, however, do I need to drastically increase weight for muscular legs?

Weight Training.

If you decide to join a gym, check out Stronglifts, Starting Strength and Wendler.

If you don't have access to equipment and can't join a gym with free weights, you can also check out Convict Conditioning and Nerd Fitness
  • _G4BR13L_
    _G4BR13L_ Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    muscle is built with lower reps, heavy weight and a calorie surplus.

squats, lunges, deadlifts, leg ress, leg curl, leg extension

Lots of exercises to build legs but a calorie surplus will be key if you wanna kick tanks around, that requires very juicy quads and glutes.

good luck

AGREED
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    You can certainly do it at home. Heavy lifting isn't the only way to get there. Lots of squats, & lunges. If those are easy do jump versions. Do skater squats, pistol squats, step ups, box jumps, Bulgarian split squats. Lots of options. As always reducing body fat will also make your legs more defined & give you the look you want.
  • Chokis
    Chokis Posts: 131
    Options
    When you lift weights (or do squats with weights), make sure you do it slowly. Movement has to be slow and controlled, it is much better to do 10 slow squats with 20lbs than 100 fast squats with 3-5 lbs.
  • Seefylol
    Seefylol Posts: 197
    Options
    I'm no pro bodybuilder, but I do think I'm on the right track. I run, do wind sprints, stairs, lunges, jump rope, and play pick-up rugby. In my "youth" (haha) I lifted a lot of weights and my legs/calves looked big. They're smaller now...but I'll bet they're stronger too.
    909c40ea-8428-4ee9-9f4b-13edd71e3beb.jpg

Now that's what I'm talking about! Want to swap my calves for yours?
  • MsEndomorph
    MsEndomorph Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    You can certainly do it at home. Heavy lifting isn't the only way to get there. Lots of squats, & lunges. If those are easy do jump versions. Do skater squats, pistol squats, step ups, box jumps, Bulgarian split squats. Lots of options. As always reducing body fat will also make your legs more defined & give you the look you want.

This.

If you want to stick it out at home, I'd definitely look around for some used equipment. I'm hardly an expert yet, but increasing weight is important.
    But for now, especially since you're still rocking the 8lb weights, there's plenty you can do. I was too lazy to go to the gym yesterday so I did jumping lunges/squats, mountain climbers, and box squats with a toy box and some old heavy car part from my husbands garage :)
  • aliciarose511
    aliciarose511 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I know that you are trying to do it at home, but the thing that made the biggest difference for me was Spin class. I really push myself and add resistance, but I have seen a WORLD of difference. The other day I was sitting on the couch and my sisters boyfriend pointed at my leg and said WOAH! I at first thought I had missed a spot shaving or something, and then he was like "check out those muscles!" It works!
  • Prismapencils
    Options
    Wow. Just got back from work, but thanks for all the awesome feedback. To those that posted pictures, I'm drooling. That's what I'm aiming for.
  • GetSoda
    GetSoda Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    Google Jen Yates and Talia Van doren. do what they do.
  • Prismapencils
    Options
    Definitely could give it a try. I've recently moved and can attend my school's gym at minimal cost as it's already included with tuition.
    And you can argue that I could also have access to weights as well. Buut, I just get nervous around all the men there. It's not their fault--could be the friendliest guys in the world. I've just had some bad experiences. I'd prefer my weight lifting combination moves at home.
    ANYWAY, I tried the spin bike. That was crazy. I don't know how to adjust the thing though, and i was getting bored because I had nothing to look at while pedaling, but the bike itself did the trick momentarily.