I think about food ALL the time.

Options
So I've lost 115lbs so far. *yeah me*
I have 60-70lbs more to go. *sigh*

I think about food every moment of the day. It is unrelenting. I am making sane life long changes but food is literally on my brain 24/7. How do I get it to stop?

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Are you thinking about food because you're hungry? Because you are craving specific foods that you aren't allowing yourself to have?
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    And congratulations on the weight loss! Good habits will save us from ourselves :)
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    try2again wrote: »
    Are you thinking about food because you're hungry? Because you are craving specific foods that you aren't allowing yourself to have?

I don't think it's like that. Some of us just really like food, and when we're not eating, we're thinking about the next meal. My MIL was especially like that- all of her conversations seemed to come back to food eventually. I certainly don't know the cure, except to possibly find things in life that are equally absorbing to you.

I didn't mean to suggest those were the only two reasons why one would think of food frequently, so I apologize if it came across that way. I was just curious to know if those *were* the reasons.
  • BrendaRey74
    BrendaRey74 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I never let myself get hungry or then I binge on tons of processed "food". I don't really ban any foods. If I want chips I'll get a little lunch serving but I don't buy it for the house. If I want pizza, I'll go to the place that sells by the slice.

I think about what I'll eat next. I'll think about what I'll eat tomorrow. I think about what I'm choosing not to eat today. I think about something I already ate at breakfast. It's just doesn't turn off.

I've seen at the same weight for 6 months so I dropped my calories and I think 1200 is just too low for me. Body is fighting back hard. ;-)
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Have you been thinking about food the whole time you've lost the weight or is it a recent thing that has started? If it is the latter, I would suggest taking a bit of a maintenance break.

Great job on the loss, btw. That is some serious dedication. Kudos to you :)
  • Tobin1972
    Tobin1972 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    My wife is like that and she has obsessive-compulsive disorder. She will be thinking about her next meal before she's finished eating the one in front of her. Have you ever been diagnosed as having that disorder? Counseling might help.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I've been on MFP for 3.5 years and been maintaining for 2 and I still think about food all the time (ok maybe not every day but at least 90% of the time).

You just got to get used to it, and use that to plan your next meals.
  • kendahlj
    kendahlj Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the weight loss. 115 pounds is a huge accomplishment. You need to find a hobby to get your mind off food. And if you can, change how you view food. Maybe see a counselor.
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    I'm obsessed with food, but I have been since childhood, it's just the way I'm wired. Many of my memories are framed in terms of food, and I start planning dinner at least at breakfast, if not the night before. Cookery is a major hobby of mine and I know more than most about food cultures and history. It doesn't interfere with my life, except insofar as it plays a big part in my excess weight - I just love food! But I don't see it as a problem, any more than I think my brother's consuming passion for musical instruments is a problem. It brings me joy, not anxiety.

Perhaps you are like me? In which case, embrace it. But if this is a new thing that has only happened since you reduced your calories, in which case it suggests your calorie goal is too low, as food obsession can be a symptom of undereating.
  • Mentali
    Mentali Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    I'm the same way - I think about food almost all the time. This is part of why I learned to cook; the food 'lasts' for several hours of cooking then. I also made it a point to make sure my food is always "set up" correctly - I'll make a conscious decision whether I should eat it at the dining room table or the patio or as a picnic or on the couch, always on a real plate, always with real thought towards the presentation. All that extra work stretches the food 'experience'.
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    try2again wrote: »

I don't think it's like that. Some of us just really like food, and when we're not eating, we're thinking about the next meal. My MIL was especially like that- all of her conversations seemed to come back to food eventually. I certainly don't know the cure, except to possibly find things in life that are equally absorbing to you.

I didn't mean to suggest those were the only two reasons why one would think of food frequently, so I apologize if it came across that way. I was just curious to know if those *were* the reasons.

Sorry- wasn't trying to be critical of your comment! For some reason, her post just struck me as more of a personality thing than a technical issue. I could have taken it the wrong way too. :)

• Osprey10
    Osprey10 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    See if these articles resonate for you. When i follow these plans I think about food a lot less. http://wellnessmama.com/5356/fix-your-leptin/ and https://www.jackkruse.com/my-leptin-prescription/ obviously not for everyone but it works for me.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,973 Member
    Options
    I never let myself get hungry or then I binge on tons of processed "food". I don't really ban any foods. If I want chips I'll get a little lunch serving but I don't buy it for the house. If I want pizza, I'll go to the place that sells by the slice.

I think about what I'll eat next. I'll think about what I'll eat tomorrow. I think about what I'm choosing not to eat today. I think about something I already ate at breakfast. It's just doesn't turn off.

I've seen at the same weight for 6 months so I dropped my calories and I think 1200 is just too low for me. Body is fighting back hard. ;-)

How tall are you? With 60-70 pounds yet to lose, unless you are very short, 1200 calories could indeed be too little for you.

Before you dropped your calories was food on your mind all the time the way it is now?
  • kmsnyg
    kmsnyg Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I am the same way, thinking about food all of the time, even when I'm not hungry. One thing that has helped me is that I've stopped snacking during the day. I just eat breakfast, lunch, dinner plus some fruit. 3 meals a day. While I do get hungry in between meals, I'm not constantly thinking about food. When I ate 6 meals a day (3 meals, 3 snacks), I was always thinking about my next meal or snack. I'd sit at work and think, "I can eat my snack in two hours." All day long. Now I know I'm not eating until lunch or dinner, so I think about food way less.
  • alohajls
    alohajls Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I hear you! I've lost 110 in the past year, and still have about 50 to go--good for us both.

What has helped me not think about food quite as much is to pre-log my meals and snacks for the day. This eliminates choice--I don't have to think about whether I want a salad, or soup or a piece of fruit or cheese or popcorn or...you get the idea. Mapping out my meals is kind of like writing down my 'to do' list, it calms my brain a little.
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    Ugh I can't get it to stop either. I think about food constantly as well. I've found developing different hobbies to keep my mind occupied helps.
  • BigTandthesquatters
    BigTandthesquatters Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Some people are food addicts. I am not saying you are. I consider myself one. So i am going to speak from that position, and maybe you can find some crossover. In the past when I thought about food i acted on it negatively. Now I act on it, but in a better way. I plan healthy meals, I look up different foods on the internet and try new recipes. I even volunteered at the local food bank to teach kids healthy cooking. Also when I think about food now I quickly remind myself of positive food encounters Like I look back at my diary and notice the healthy breakfast I made. Don't fight it, use your knowledge of food to make better choices. Any way I hope that helps a little bit.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I'm the same. I've just finished lunch and snacks and am already thinking about dinner, i just love food!

The only time i wasn't like this is when i did low carb. Food was an afterthought and cravings were non existent. To say this was a freeing and non stressful time is an understatement!! If it wasn't for a certain side effect i would still be doing it, and i would have effortlessly breezed into maintenance months ago, instead of dealing with counting down the minutes until my next "feeding" lol

Even more annoying is that I've always had a large appetite, but only started putting on weight in the last 4 or so years.

• hapa11
    hapa11 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I think all the planning that goes in to meals plays a big part. When I'm limiting calories I'm so focused on it and it's so hard that I am always thinking/deciding something regarding food.