my weight training "duh!" moment.

Options
I've been on these boards for a while now and have been paying a lot of attention to the heavy lifting information as I have recently (three months ago) started a lifting program. This may be completely obvious to most of you and it probably should have been to me, but here it is...

I was complaining to my husband the other day about not being able to increase my bench press weight. I was struggling with lifting more than 6 reps and I've been lifting at the same weight for about a month now. He said "just add more weight".
Duh!
I don't know what I was expecting - maybe that it would get super easy and then I would add more weight. Then I would wait for it to get super easy again, and then I would add more weight.

What I realized, is that I wasn't pushing myself anymore. When I started, I could barely lift the bar by itself but I kept adding weight and now when I warm up with the bar, it's light.

I added more weight and powered out a whopping 1 rep - lol! But, maybe next time I'll get through 2 reps, and then maybe one day 5 or 6.

So - "just add more weight" :)

Replies

• larsensue
    larsensue Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    Good reminder, Thanks I needed that! I was just saying the same thing to myself 20 minutes ago! next time I lift I will add weight instead of waiting for it to get easy!
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Are you doing any sort of program? The programs I have looked at are progressive loading, and they recommend that you add at least a few pounds each time you do it. I usually add 5 pounds every time, sometimes if I have underestimated my strength gains I can add 10.