Vegans?

Options
2»

Replies

• cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options
    Dietary Reference Intakes for Energy, Carbohydrate, Fiber, Fat, Fatty Acids, Cholesterol, Protein, and Amino Acids (Macronutrients) (2005)
    http://www.nap.edu/read/10490/chapter/12#599

Chapter: 10 Protein and Amino Acids p. 599
    ...many common dietary proteins, including proteins from casein, mixed whey, wheat, legumes are digested with an efficiency of greater than 90 percent when fed as isolates, concetrates, or flours (Bergner et al., 1990; Gausseres et al., 1997).

• StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    cee134 wrote: »
    Dietary Reference Intakes for Energy, Carbohydrate, Fiber, Fat, Fatty Acids, Cholesterol, Protein, and Amino Acids (Macronutrients) (2005)
    http://www.nap.edu/read/10490/chapter/12#599

Chapter: 10 Protein and Amino Acids p. 599
    ...many common dietary proteins, including proteins from casein, mixed whey, wheat, legumes are digested with an efficiency of greater than 90 percent when fed as isolates, concetrates, or flours (Bergner et al., 1990; Gausseres et al., 1997).

?? Unless I'm missing something I don't think that quote distinguishes between plant and animal sources. It just says "all are >90%". I was asking about your comment that plant proteins have better absorption.
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options
    What does "with animal sources a bit higher than plant." a bit higher mean? By how much? If we are talking 1 to 2 % then that's not much. Also from what study?

Anyway. Most of what I've read only seems to care about complete vs incomplete. After going back, Milk seems to be absorbed the best....
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    cee134 wrote: »
    What does "with animal sources a bit higher than plant." a bit higher mean? By how much? If we are talking 1 to 2 % then that's not much. Also from what study?

Anyway. Most of what I've read only seems to care about complete vs incomplete. After going back, Milk seems to be absorbed the best....

I don't disagree with anything else that you've written.. I was just perplexed to see the quote "protein is absorbed better from plants" when I've always thought the opposite was true. I was hoping to learn something new.
  • kmidash
    kmidash Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    It has been years since I was a veggie :) I did a lot of reading then and what I found most valuable was to pair legumes and whole grains to make a complete protein. I found when I did that I was more satisfied with my meals. I make a veggie burger out of black beans, brown rice and quinoa that is a protein power house. Good luck on your journey and enjoy!!
  • DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,643 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    kmidash wrote: »
    It has been years since I was a veggie :) I did a lot of reading then and what I found most valuable was to pair legumes and whole grains to make a complete protein. I found when I did that I was more satisfied with my meals. I make a veggie burger out of black beans, brown rice and quinoa that is a protein power house. Good luck on your journey and enjoy!!

The myth of "incomplete" protein is just that. It's a myth. Sure, there are some foods with lesser available quantities of some amino acids, but provided you are getting protein from more than one source and adequate overall protein you don't really have anything to worry about.

*Edited for clarity.