If lots of calories & carbs equal weight gain? Why am I still losing weight?

Options
1235»

Replies

• Mentali
    Mentali Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Sued0nim wrote: »
    This thread feels like a plug for...someone. Someone who will tell you you can eat an excess of calories which includes a 1200 calorie banana smoothie and still lose... I don't dare say out loud.

Beetlegeuse

Beetlegeuse

B

*slaps a zipper onto your pie hole*

Mmmmm....pie

This is a post we can all get behind
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Can I have the recipe for an 800-1200 calorie smoothie?

I bet it's heaven.

Edit. Nope, it's...sad.

*goes back to daydreaming about ice cream based protein thickshake topped with whipped cream.*
  • alexandriaaymelek
    alexandriaaymelek Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I wish I had this problem!
  • Wombat468
    Wombat468 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    7-11 bananas would be up to a kilo of banana, in one smoothie. I'm sorry - I don't believe you at all.
  • _dixiana_
    _dixiana_ Posts: 3,262 Member
    Options
    I can't even with posts like this.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    CiaraCatch wrote: »
    7-11 bananas would be up to a kilo of banana, in one smoothie. I'm sorry - I don't believe you at all.

Like someone else mentioned, she would have to have a monster size blender. I have a nutribullet and there's no way i'd fit that many bananas in it, may 4 smaller ones max, plus you'd need water or milk.
  • BigBadVanna
    BigBadVanna Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Breastmilk contains 20 calories per oz. If your baby has a 5oz bottle of pumped breastmilk, that's 100 calories right there. It can add up considering that a lot of babies eat every 2.5-3 hours. I have recently weaned, but when my baby was 4-5 months old and only consuming breastmilk, he ate 30oz a day. That's 600 calories a day, not a small amount by any means.
  • frankiesgirlie
    frankiesgirlie Posts: 668 Member
    Options

I'll be damned if I'm gonna waste 1000 or so calories on something I can't chew, as long as I have teeth. LOL! What a complete waste.
  • Christine_72
    Options

I'll be damned if I'm gonna waste 1000 or so calories on something I can't chew, as long as I have teeth. LOL! What a complete waste.

I wouldn't say i have to 'chew' my smoothies, but they're too thick to drink. I need a spoon to eat it.
  • Nikion901
    Nikion901 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    At your age, with a young baby yet, you are probably eating less than you burn. Wait, in another decade you will be complaining that you eat nothing and gain weight! :)
  • Christine_72
    Options
    Nikion901 wrote: »
    At your age, with a young baby yet, you are probably eating less than you burn. Wait, in another decade you will be complaining that you eat nothing and gain weight! :)

Lol so true.. OP enjoy it while it lasts :smile:
  • tlflag1620
    tlflag1620 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    savithny wrote: »
    tlflag1620 wrote: »
    annaskiski wrote: »
    A person on my feed calculates about 500 calories for a couple of minutes of breastfeeding.
    So its plausible you can eat well over 2000 calories and lose....

It's 500 calories per day when breastfeeding a baby younger than six months. Once solids are established, that number drops, 300 per day is a pretty good average in the second six months of baby's life. It's not that they burn 500 calories per couple of minutes, it's that adding 'one minute of breastfeeding' at 500 calories is simpler than trying to figure out how many minutes you spent nursing, and how many calories per minute that ends up being, IYKWIM. But, yeah, nursing mothers are often told not to go below 1800 cal per day. Someone who doesn't need to lose weight might need to go quite a bit higher than that.

Problem is, the OP is not logging much at all, and when she does she only guesstimates her portions. She has no earthly clue what her CI is, much less her CO.

Like I said above - I calculated how much my kid was eating, based on how much pumped milk she got at the sitter and how often she nursed -- and how much weight she gained.

*she* was taking in at least 600-700 calories a day for awhile, 100% of which came from me. That fits with the number I just looked up on Livestrong. Another site says that at 500 calories a day you're still pulling 250 calories from maternal fat stores, too. It takes metabolic energy to turn food into breastmilk.

Long story short? If she's even moderately active and not tiny? Maintaining on 2500-3000 calories a day is not just believable, but likely.

She's 5'4" and 111 lbs. To me, that's pretty tiny, lol (I'm 5'7" 144, lightly active, and maintain on 1950, without adding breastfeeding calories - tho my baby just turned one, so she isn't nursing around the clock like a newborn anymore). It certainly is possible, likely even, that she can maintain on 2500 if she is moderately active (3000 seems a stretch unless she is super active). Problem is, as I said above, she is not only not logging, but is not logging accurately on the rare occasion that she does log. She thinks she's eating "a lot" of calories, yet is losing weight. It's possible she has a medical condition. It's possible she's a special snowflake. It's also possible that she's eating less than she thinks she is and/or is underestimating her calorie burns from exercise and/or breastmilk. Odds are, it's the third option.