exercise equipment expertise needed plz

Options
I am looking to buy either a treadmill or an elliptical machine. I need pros and cons of both based off of your personal experience. It's too hot here in Texas to walk outside during the summer.
Thank you!

Replies

• jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    Eliptical = machine is doing some of the work, lower impact

Treadmill = higher impact but potential for higher calorie burn.

For the cost of a decent machine that wont fall apart, you might look into a gym if there was one close by.
  • foxxybrown
    foxxybrown Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    For ellipticals, I would suggest going to the store and trying some out. I like a front drive system (Proform XP) but others prefer rear.
  • foxxybrown
    foxxybrown Posts: 838 Member
    Options

For the cost of a decent machine that wont fall apart, you might look into a gym if there was one close by.

I don't agree with this statement. I burn more calories in 30 minutes on the elliptical than I do on the treadmill.
  • jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options

I don't agree with this statement. I burn more calories in 30 minutes on the elliptical than I do on the treadmill.

thats why I said potential, it depends on how hard you push yourself on the treadmill and how fast you are going, you could burn your calories becuase your whole body is doing all the work.
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    Ellipticals are easier on your knees than treadmills are.
  • imagymrat
    imagymrat Posts: 862 Member
    Options

I burn more on the treadmill, and I have many more options with the treadmill, if I had to choose it would be the treadmill, I can run backwards, forward at an elevated incline, I can do side squats (like a little run shuffle) I can do walking lunges,...I find the treadmill way more versatile as far as workouts go.

thats why I said potential, it depends on how hard you push yourself on the treadmill and how fast you are going, you could burn your calories becuase your whole body is doing all the work.
  • Michelle_J
    Michelle_J Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your replies. I'm leaning toward the elliptical. I had surgery on my leg after a bad break and it still gives me some grief and it sounds like the elliptical will not knock my knee around so much. The calories burned are important but right now I'm not getting any exercise in other than swimming a couple of days a week and I can do the elliptical while watching tv....
  • mbk1970
    mbk1970 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    You can still really burn calories on an eliptical and yes it will spare your knee