Just moved to South Korea - Food suggestions

Hey everyone!

I recently moved to South Korea from Canada.
In my kitchen I only have a stove to cook with (with one burner!!). I am really used to oven baking most of my meals, I was wondering if anyone had some good and easy meals to share with me!

Oh, I also have a blender, I just haven't gotten around to using it yet.

If anyone out there has lived in SK before I would love to hear about what things you usually buy when you grocery shop. I am in Seoul, but I find the markets around me are quite limited.

Thanks!

Replies

• kandell
    kandell Posts: 473 Member
    edited August 2016
    I did a study abroad in South Korea during college. Unfortunately, we weren't allowed to cook in our dorms, so I either had to eat in the cafeteria, eat out, or eat ramen. Learn to love kimchi. It's served with everything and it's actually hella good for you. One thing that I found is that going out to eat, depending on where you go, can be just about as cheap as grocery shopping. I was in Gyeongsan (just outside of Daegu) so it could be different in Seoul.

Kimchi pancakes are a really great go-to. Just mix kimchi with flour and a bit of water/kimchi and pan fry it. Stir-fry will also be a good go-to, and you can mix and match ingredients and sauces to fit whatever is available/in-season.

ETA: The nice thing about Korea is that it's easy to walk everywhere. I didn't pay attention to what I ate while I was there, but due to all the walking I slimmed down a fair bit in four months. If you're counting calories, I'm sure you'll be able to maintain or lose weight easily. Have fun!! Korea is an amazing country and it's such a blast.
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    I read that the the grocery stores make it really easy to cook healthier.

Here you go:
    Korean Bapsang - a Korean mom's home cooking
  • caradack1985
    caradack1985 Posts: 254 Member
    I would eat all the noodles, that is a lot of my diet anyway!!
  • stapark
    stapark Posts: 35 Member
    You can buy a toaster oven and bake most anything in it. Beef is expensive there, especially domestic. If you like Korean food, you can buy small amounts of side dishes from a side dish shop in the market and just make rice. I used to buy side dishes online too from gmarket and it would just get delivered. So many restaurants deliver too, and there's no tipping so it's cheap to eat out.