Pushing myself too hard??

Options
Being fairly new to fitness and going to the gym, how do you know when your maybe pushing yourself too hard?

Last night I achieved the below results on elliptical and came off absolutely knackered! The trouble is I always want to beat my previous performance but when does this become too much?

cdl0v148fjso.jpg

Replies

• SingingSingleTracker
    SingingSingleTracker Posts: 1,866 Member
    Options
    jdawson002 wrote: »
    Being fairly new to fitness and going to the gym, how do you know when your maybe pushing yourself too hard?

Last night I achieved the below results on elliptical and came off absolutely knackered! The trouble is I always want to beat my previous performance but when does this become too much?

cdl0v148fjso.jpg

If you are new to fitness and working out do yourself a huge favor: Run, don't walk, to read all you can on what is called the training effect.
  • babypunkprincess
    babypunkprincess Posts: 109 Member
    Options

cdl0v148fjso.jpg

If you are new to fitness and working out do yourself a huge favor: Run, don't walk, to read all you can on what is called the training effect.

Some people hate running. .. such as me. So OP do whatever kind of fitness u want.

if u find ur having trouble or taking longer to recover then yes ur pushing yourself too hard. I'm horrible for that and it'll take me 2 days to recover :neutral:
  • inezbruce
    inezbruce Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    If your new to it, you will get tired :)
    When exercise becomes unhealthy you will know!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

cdl0v148fjso.jpg

Some people hate running. .. such as me. So OP do whatever kind of fitness u want.

:laugh: this actually made me lol... bit awkward as i'm at work!!!
  • jdawson002
    jdawson002 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    [Some people hate running. .. such as me. So OP do whatever kind of fitness u want.

if u find ur having trouble or taking longer to recover then yes ur pushing yourself too hard. I'm horrible for that and it'll take me 2 days to recover :neutral:
    [/quote]

I don't necessarily hate running but still weighing 16 stone, things still wobble!!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options

I don't necessarily hate running but still weighing 16 stone, things still wobble!!

the comment by @SingingSingleTracker is nothing to do with actual running....
  • bagge72
    bagge72 Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options

cdl0v148fjso.jpg

Um I think she means hurry and go read something called "the training effect" you know, like run, don't walk to your nearest dunkin donuts while supplies last.

• bagge72
    bagge72 Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options

cdl0v148fjso.jpg

for me this is the reason I exercise, I like to push myself until I'm exhausted, and I always like to beat my previous goals. I feel like this is what it's supposed to be like. I also think that if you are doing 3.9 minutes miles in an exercise you need to up the resistance.
  • kandell
    kandell Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    If you're not so sore/tired the next day that you're discouraged from exercising, I'd say you're fine. Pushing yourself too far would be going to the point of you never want to be on a treadmill/elliptical again. If you have the drive to keep going, take advantage of that and keep going :]
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    So...what does "fairly new" mean? Have you been working out for a few months or a few days?

I'd be more interested to know how you feel the next day rather than immediately afterward. Feeling tired or a little bit wobbly immediately afterward is okay. Feeling mildly to moderately sore the next day is okay, especially if it feels better with movement (as in, you feel more sore when you first get out of bed but it gets better as you get moving).

Feeling extremely sore, to the point that it doesn't work itself out throughout the day or it interferes with your regular activities, is a sign that you might be pushing too hard. If you need more than 1-2 days in between workouts to recover, it could be a sign that you're pushing too hard. And if you're feeling any actual pain (not soreness), that means stop.
  • SingingSingleTracker
    SingingSingleTracker Posts: 1,866 Member
    Options
    bagge72 wrote: »

cdl0v148fjso.jpg

Um I think she means hurry and go read something called "the training effect" you know, like run, don't walk to your nearest dunkin donuts while supplies last.

I'm glad somebody figured out the English language. ;-)

Yes, my intent was to have the OP run - not walk - to his/her nearest library, book store, or Google search to read everything they possibly could on the training effect to learn about pushing hard, allowing for recovery, active recovery, how soft tissue is torn down and rebuilds and the time required to allow for that, when to listen to your body, etc. because of this statement...

The trouble is I always want to beat my previous performance but when does this become too much?

It doesn't matter if one is talking about lifting weights, distance/time/energy on an elliptical machine, swimming, downhill skiing, cycling, sprinting, hiking - whatever the physical exercise - you can't just walk in day after day and expect to match or top your previous day's performance.

The Training Effect remains my advice to the OP to learn more about it all.

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    puking/passing out = to much.

otherwise you're probably fine.
  • babypunkprincess
    babypunkprincess Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    bagge72 wrote: »

cdl0v148fjso.jpg

I'm glad somebody figured out the English language. ;-)

Yes, my intent was to have the OP run - not walk - to his/her nearest library, book store, or Google search to read everything they possibly could on the training effect to learn about pushing hard, allowing for recovery, active recovery, how soft tissue is torn down and rebuilds and the time required to allow for that, when to listen to your body, etc. because of this statement...

The trouble is I always want to beat my previous performance but when does this become too much?

It doesn't matter if one is talking about lifting weights, distance/time/energy on an elliptical machine, swimming, downhill skiing, cycling, sprinting, hiking - whatever the physical exercise - you can't just walk in day after day and expect to match or top your previous day's performance.

The Training Effect remains my advice to the OP to learn more about it all.

Can my excuse for not understanding be that I only got 2 hours of sleep last night? New mom and all lol:p
  • Lizarking
    Lizarking Posts: 507 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    puking/passing out = to much.

otherwise you're probably fine.

emesis is weakness leaving the body!
    /s