Feeling fat and destined to be fat

Options
I feel that never I ever do works. I feel like I should stop running because to be honest I'm not seeing results and I can't seem to lose weight. I weigh 11st 12lb (166 pounds) and I'm 5"7.5 (1.71m) and that's a lot. It's not even muscle. I measured my body fat percentage on the scales at boots and the first reading said 28.7% and the second 29.5%, which is an average reading. I think I will go to get my thyroid tested. It seems like I'm destined to be fat. I just redid my measurements and I'm 41 inches round the hips and 29.5- 30 inches round the waist :(. I just feel that in order to be thin and lose weight I have to eat like a rabbit. Normally I burn 400-700 cals through exercise and walking and eat 1600-1800 cals, which should give me a deficit. Some days I reach a deficit of 1000 cals!

I feel like the fat friend as I have friends that don't worry about their diet and don't do any exercise but are 140 pounds or less. One of my friends is taller than me and is like 145 pounds and does no exercise and doesn't watch what she eats. It's so unfair!

Replies

• fitnessqueen91
    fitnessqueen91 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I don't want to go on restrictive diets eating 1000-1300 cals or less and exercising a lot, but putting the weight back on because I'm constantly depriving myself. I did that before; I was on a low calorie diet, barely eating and exercising all the time and I still struggled to loose weight and I put it on even quicker! How is 1800 cals a lot if I burn say 600 or 700 cals in a day??
  • fitnessqueen91
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Reality check: you are barely overweight--between BMI 25.2 and 26. Those scales aren't accurate, but the numbers you mention are somewhat consistent with the BMI for an average woman -- not great, but not terrible, and you don't need to lose that much to get them to a more desirable number, even if they were accurate (but, seriously, ignore them, they probably are not).

Now, I totally get being just a little overweight but being unhappy with your body and wanting to get thinner and improve -- I'm all about the vanity weight these days. Running is great exercise and probably allows you to eat more without gaining, but it alone won't cause weight loss for most (most easily adjust eating).

I run, I love it, it helps me increase my TDEE, have goals to work for, and is a wonderful stress release. But if you don't like running, do something else. If you do, don't spoil it by obsessing about scale results -- set other fitness goals and focus on eating for weight loss.

No, you do not have to eat like a rabbit to lose -- the numbers you mention seem reasonable, but there may be logging issues, MFP can be difficult to figure out at first, especially the database. If you open your diary you can get a review from people here with experience.

Focusing on your friends isn't helpful. The older I get the more I realize that more people do think about their weight than I realized, but many people do just naturally have a level of activity (it does not have to be intentional exercise) or appetite that leaves them thinner than I would be if I didn't think about it. That's life, though, and there are things I have that others don't -- we all have things we struggle with and things we don't, and weight really isn't that terrible if I had to pick one (especially where you are, and if you get control of it now).

With respect to body composition, have you considered things like weight training, as others mentioned. It's something I wish I'd discovered when younger and -- along with running -- helped me focus on the positives of my body, being strong, feeling good, and not merely being as thin as possible.

Yes I know I'm overweight and I don't need a reality check!
  • fitnessqueen91
    Options
    What am I meant to do to be thin then? Log every single morsel I put into my mouth, become obsessed and develop an eating disorder? Been there, done that!
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    you are probably not burning that many. set your goal to 0.5-1 pound (or the metric equivalent) per week. Choose an activity modifier that is true to your activity. Ignore the calorie counts on any machine or HRM. Log everything by weight.
  • smotheredincheese
    smotheredincheese Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    I don't want to go on restrictive diets eating 1000-1300 cals or less and exercising a lot, but putting the weight back on because I'm constantly depriving myself. I did that before; I was on a low calorie diet, barely eating and exercising all the time and I still struggled to loose weight and I put it on even quicker! How is 1800 cals a lot if I burn say 600 or 700 cals in a day??

You don't need to go on a restrictive diet, you just need to eat the number of calories mfp suggests you eat to lose. Are you weighing and logging everything?
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
  • JDixon852019
    JDixon852019 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    What am I meant to do to be thin then? Log every single morsel I put into my mouth, become obsessed and develop an eating disorder? Been there, done that![/

BED is far more common than anorexia. Having a bad relationship with food hinders with goals. Those problems need to be worked on of you hope to keep the weight you lost off.
  • grannynot
    grannynot Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Losing weight SUCKS, because you can spin it mentally any way you want - until that scale starts heading downward, you aren't eating at a deficit or you're not expending as many calories as you think. Scales don't lie. But we are besieged by advertisements and opinions and essays and blogs ad nauseum, trying to convince us that there's some *secret* and easy way to lose weight.
  • novio50
    novio50 Posts: 778 Member
    Options
    don't stress, if it's a lifestyle change, keep changing an adjusting. If it's a short term thing, you're prolly over stressing about it. Here's some free advice: Love yourself more and don't sweat the small stuff. The name of the game is try, fail, adjust. Just when you think you have it, you need to adjust. But stressing isn't going to help your situation.
  • afatpersonwholikesfood
    Options

First off, you are not burning 600-700 calories in 1 day. Do NOT factor in calories burned in exercise, it is already accounted for in your TDEE calculation.

Crash Course:
    Calculate your TDEE (total daily energy expenditure) which factors in age, weight, sex, height, activity level, etc. Eat 10% to 20% under this TDEE to lose weight (10% is slow deficit, 20% is aggressive deficit). Measure and log all your intake, every single morsel. I saw you mentioned you have a history, so you can do this with a professional or a less aggressive deficit.

So I suspect you are being too generous in how many calories you burn off. I work out 4 times a week and my TDEE calculator already factored it in - If my treadmill tells me I burned 400 calories, I CANNOT EAT THAT BACK. I suspect you have been.

And if you want a dumbed down approach, keep subtracting your daily intake by 100 calories every week, until you are losing 0.5lbs to 1lb weekly. Also the smaller you are, the less you have to lose (i.e. a 250lb male cutting weight can lose much quicker than a 120lb female), the slower your progression becomes (hence why I say 0.5lbs per week instead of 1lb per week).

The bottom line is - if you are not losing, you are eating too much. TDEE Calculators are an estimate, you will have to modify as you go. Not losing? Eat 100 calories less each day and reassess weekly.

That's not how MFP works.
  • LeanButNotMean44
    LeanButNotMean44 Posts: 852 Member
    Options

First off, you are not burning 600-700 calories in 1 day. Do NOT factor in calories burned in exercise, it is already accounted for in your TDEE calculation.

Crash Course:
    Calculate your TDEE (total daily energy expenditure) which factors in age, weight, sex, height, activity level, etc. Eat 10% to 20% under this TDEE to lose weight (10% is slow deficit, 20% is aggressive deficit). Measure and log all your intake, every single morsel. I saw you mentioned you have a history, so you can do this with a professional or a less aggressive deficit.

So I suspect you are being too generous in how many calories you burn off. I work out 4 times a week and my TDEE calculator already factored it in - If my treadmill tells me I burned 400 calories, I CANNOT EAT THAT BACK. I suspect you have been.

And if you want a dumbed down approach, keep subtracting your daily intake by 100 calories every week, until you are losing 0.5lbs to 1lb weekly. Also the smaller you are, the less you have to lose (i.e. a 250lb male cutting weight can lose much quicker than a 120lb female), the slower your progression becomes (hence why I say 0.5lbs per week instead of 1lb per week).

The bottom line is - if you are not losing, you are eating too much. TDEE Calculators are an estimate, you will have to modify as you go. Not losing? Eat 100 calories less each day and reassess weekly.

That's not how MFP works.

There is more than one way to skin a cat - one can certainly use MFP in this fashion. I do so myself. As long as foods are weighed/measured and one stays below the calorie limit that they set (vs. going with the MFP suggested calories), weight will be lost.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    deleted post
  • afatpersonwholikesfood
    Options
    I feel that never I ever do works. I feel like I should stop running because to be honest I'm not seeing results and I can't seem to lose weight. I weigh 11st 12lb (166 pounds) and I'm 5"7.5 (1.71m) and that's a lot. It's not even muscle. I measured my body fat percentage on the scales at boots and the first reading said 28.7% and the second 29.5%, which is an average reading. I think I will go to get my thyroid tested. It seems like I'm destined to be fat. I just redid my measurements and I'm 41 inches round the hips and 29.5- 30 inches round the waist :(. I just feel that in order to be thin and lose weight I have to eat like a rabbit. Normally I burn 400-700 cals through exercise and walking and eat 1600-1800 cals, which should give me a deficit. Some days I reach a deficit of 1000 cals!

I feel like the fat friend as I have friends that don't worry about their diet and don't do any exercise but are 140 pounds or less. One of my friends is taller than me and is like 145 pounds and does no exercise and doesn't watch what she eats. It's so unfair!

You're not fat. Maybe you need to hear that? I don't know. Realistically, you need to lose slowly at your size to get where you want to be, and the scale is not going to move the way that you want it to. Too many fluctuations for that. Have you really not lost ANY weight over, say, the last 5-6 weeks? Whenever I amp up running or activity, I stall, sometimes for a few weeks. I look at the month-to-month instead. That tells me that I am doing what I need to. And yeah, with the small deficit you're aiming for, you do need to weigh and log everything.