trouble sleeping when in a deficit

Options
Anyone experience trouble sleeping - both falling asleep and staying asleep - just when you're in a calorie deficit? I seem to be having that trouble. I do cardio 30-45 min. everyday, go to bed within the same half hour each evening, get up for work at the same time. Don't have a tv in the bedroom. Not going to bed hungry. No caffeine after 3pm. But for some reason, my body is having trouble sleeping. I'm evaluating calorie deficit as the cause...so even anecdotally, is this anyone else's experience?

Replies

• jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Any type of lifestyle change can throw your hormones out of whack for a while, until your body gets used to it. I would just give it some time.
  • CasperNaegle
    CasperNaegle Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    Does not seem to bother me.
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I do have regular trouble sleeping but it's not due to any sort of calorie deficit. Mine is mostly due to hormones - right before TOM I have several nights where I won't sleep right, and just in general I'm in the perimenopause stage so I have that sometimes too.

• abadvat
    abadvat Posts: 1,241 Member
    Options
    yep - same here, hit poverty macros recently and since day 1 takes me ages to fall asleep and eventually got a very bumpy night - even ZMA does not help, I go from awake to very deep sleep to awake again without reasons to wake up (noise, bathroom...).
  • dawnmcneil10
    dawnmcneil10 Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    Could be your underestimating your calorie burn and not refueling. Could be you're trying to sleep too soon after exercise. Also could be the types of foods you're eating. I had the problem when I changed up my cardio routine, started having a warm latte about an hour before bed and that helped me nod off for a decent night sleep. Maybe there is something to that warm milk myth.
  • Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    That only happens to me when my deficit is too large.
  • thenananator
    thenananator Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Maxematics wrote: »
    That only happens to me when my deficit is too large.

same here
  • HamsterManV2
    HamsterManV2 Posts: 449 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Eat more fat. Protein builds and maintain muscle, carbs is easy energy, but the fat macro regulates your hormones, so things like sex, sleep, focus, etc. I suggest you check your fat intake (as a 165lb male, I recommend 50g daily minimum... not sure what amount is correct for a 32year old female). Try upping it 10g each day until you reach 50g and see if that helps. Go for 'heathy' fats like nuts, olive oil, natural peanut butter, etc.
  • 85Cardinals
    85Cardinals Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    occasionally
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Do you do your cardio right before bed? Because doing strenuous exercise can be a lot like drinking caffeine when it comes to sleep.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I was going to suggest something high in protein just before bed.

@HamsterManV2 is suggesting more fat.

Looks like @dawnmcneil10's warm milk myth may be worth trying - it has both elements.

I find a 20g protein drink has me sleeping like a baby.

Cheers, h.
  • aqualeo1
    aqualeo1 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    That starting happening to me when I began losing weight 5 years ago. I would wake up like every hour. I've been in maintenance for 4 years and it still hasn't stopped!