Depo provera

Options
2»

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I was on DP for about 7 years and LOVED it. However, I had to stop because at the end I wouldn't stop bleeding. After years without a period, that sucked. Also, I didn't realize the damage I was doing to my bones or I probably would have stopped sooner. I had 3 fractures in that time period. It took me several years after to get pregnant (didn't ovulate for about 3 years). I think it was a combination of long term use + low BF. I never had any appetite issues.

they say the bone density issues are for younger women mainly...those whose bones are still forming....

I had a bone density test done after being on it for 10 years....not an issue for me but I am in my 40's too.

When I had to go off it one time (supply didn't match demand and they ran out) I had my period right on schedule.
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    I went on it at 20 right after I had my first child. Got pregnant the first time I had sex at 19. Yup, it happens mammas! Get those girls on some good BC!
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    Alluminati wrote: »
    If you are gaining it means you are eating more than you burn. Depo or any other hormone type birth control itself does not make you fat because your body cannot create energy from nothing. But the side effects can affect you your CICO. I.e. feeling hungrier so you eat more and gain, or you feel sluggish and limit movement and gain. Maybe a little bit of both.

Start logging religiously with a scale and stay at 2000 calories. If you continue to gain then you you know that you need to scale back on calories consumed. It may be tough dealing with the hormone side effects but it can be done.

No....Unless you are a doctor who specializes in hormonal issues, you have no idea what you are talking about.....
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    I am currently on the Depo and have put 2 stone on, I am planning to stop this injection in September. Will I lose the weight? I changed none of my eating habits and eat a healthy balanced diet not exceeding 2000 calories per day. What were other people experiences with this? I exercise in the gym for 2hours three times per week.

Will you lose weight? probably 5-10lbs but that is all water weight....

I have used depo or mirena for at least the last 15 years...all my weight issues were from eating too much. When I started logging/weighing/measuring I had no issues losing the weight at all.

Ever thought about the reason why it makes some people retain 5-10lbs of water weight and some don't? if not, go read up on hormonal imbalances and all the fun stuff it causes......
  • ogmomma2012
    ogmomma2012 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    astrampe wrote: »
    I am currently on the Depo and have put 2 stone on, I am planning to stop this injection in September. Will I lose the weight? I changed none of my eating habits and eat a healthy balanced diet not exceeding 2000 calories per day. What were other people experiences with this? I exercise in the gym for 2hours three times per week.

Will you lose weight? probably 5-10lbs but that is all water weight....

I have used depo or mirena for at least the last 15 years...all my weight issues were from eating too much. When I started logging/weighing/measuring I had no issues losing the weight at all.

Ever thought about the reason why it makes some people retain 5-10lbs of water weight and some don't? if not, go read up on hormonal imbalances and all the fun stuff it causes......

That still wouldn't be Depo's fault, though, if they have a pre-existing condition. I get what you're saying, I have PCOS.
  • TnZMom
    TnZMom Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I lost 20 lbs on dp. Only noticeable side effects were oily skin and hair loss. Actually the hair loss prompted me to stop taking it.
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,262 Member
    Options
    I was on DP for about 7 years and LOVED it. However, I had to stop because at the end I wouldn't stop bleeding. After years without a period, that sucked. Also, I didn't realize the damage I was doing to my bones or I probably would have stopped sooner. I had 3 fractures in that time period. It took me several years after to get pregnant (didn't ovulate for about 3 years). I think it was a combination of long term use + low BF. I never had any appetite issues.

they say the bone density issues are for younger women mainly...those whose bones are still forming....

I had a bone density test done after being on it for 10 years....not an issue for me but I am in my 40's too.

When I had to go off it one time (supply didn't match demand and they ran out) I had my period right on schedule.

My story is similar apart from my break turned into my little daughter. Also had a bone scan last yr which thankfully was fine. I am 40 plus too.
    Weight loss has been fine, if I log I lose if I don't I gain