Options

Replies

• glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,627 Member
    Options
    kendahlj wrote: »
    TeaBea wrote: »
    kendahlj wrote: »
    I imagine it would be efficient...in the short term. But you'll get super tired of eating those...and pretty soon they will all taste the same. It would be difficult for the average person to eat a tv dinner every night for a month before quitting. Good luck though!

You do realize how any different varieties there are? I sure wouldn't want to cook myself all those different things all the time, but I live alone and prefer convenience.

This^

There is a lot of variety out there, and the OP isn't replacing every single meal either. Pair your frozen meals up with a veggie side and you'll be fine.

Eventually you might consider making your own frozen meals. I batch cook on the weekend & set up a few frozen dinners a week. Even Wal-Mart sells frozen dinner containers (Reynolds).

How long before "eventually" kicks in? Also, the OP never said anything about pairing them with a veggie side. My comment was about eating just tv dinners for dinner every night. I'd challenge anyone to not get sick of those after a month...despite whatever variety exists.

When I was on weight watchers, I lived off fast food lunches and frozen dinners for...er...dinners. And this was for something like 2 years.

So there. :p
  • pitbullmamaliz
    pitbullmamaliz Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Somebody above already mentioned the Evol frozen meals, but also check out the Amy's line, too. I work third shift and it's just easy for me to toss a frozen meal into my lunchbag every night. The Evol and Amy's are filling enough to carry me through for quite a while because they are higher calorie. But they're so tasty and so easy! I thought I was going to have to beat away one of my staff members one night as he was eyeballing my Amy's cheese enchiladas, black beans, and rice.
  • LittlestHedgehog
    LittlestHedgehog Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    cee134 wrote: »
    Pizza and pork and rice is not healthy.

how is pizza or pork/rice not healthy? I can see not being fond of those things but you can still eat those things if you want to,just not as much.

Neither Pizza nor pork and rice is very healthy. That of course depends on how you make it, but regular pizza is crap, it tastes good, but it's crap, don't be fooled because it may have vegetables on it.

so tell me how they arent healthy? there is protein/nutrients in pork,rice has some protein and healthy carbs and other nutrients. how is pizza crap too? I lost weight eating those foods and Im healthier than I was when I was a smaller size. so how are they unhealthy?

The typical pizza that is bought in stores or from delivery places is fatty and greasy. You can make pizza which could be healthy, but generally pizza isn't healthy. It's like saying a cheesecake is healthy. Pork and rice can be healthy, BUT my man wants grandma's home cooking taste which means a TON of grease and love. We all know home cooked meals. Lol. That is what I meant by it.
  • LittlestHedgehog
    LittlestHedgehog Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Mentali wrote: »
    I think the only issue with pre-packaged meals where it comes with a box and film is that you can't accurately weigh the product to make sure the calories add up with the nutritional label. Unless maybe you weigh it after cooking in a bowl that's been tare'd.

You could weigh it, eat it, then weigh it again....of course by then the calories are already inside :cold_sweat:

I just have a question, not judging, I eat plenty of TV dinners myself but...how can you be not a leftover person and still want TV dinners? They're the exact same concept, meals stored in individual containers that you microwave to reheat.

Yeah, I know. It doesn't make sense, but if like someone else does it. It's fine. I think the sight/smell of leftovers before being cooked bothers me? I'm weird. :P

• carmkizzle
    carmkizzle Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Cost is another thing. A lean Cuisine is $6.69 here, and the satay chicken meal I'm having on Saturday cost $7.59. I couldn't afford to eat like that everyday, especially for two of us. No doubt they're much cheaper in the US.

whoa :o ...when I do buy those, it's usually on sale for about $2.50. I think they typically range between $2.99 and $3.99.
  • OcalaFL
    OcalaFL Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I eat the healthy choice steamers .. They are pretty good .. Very convenient just rip off box throw in microwave hit 4 minutes boom you done .. Some times I add the single serving libby's single serve vegetables like corn 30 Val's adds a bit more food for low calorie add. you just got to line them up so you don't go over your sodium. Other meals like salads, fruit bowls and eggs so not much cooking skills needed. Also making turkey chili or some crockpot stuff is very easy as you just cut stuff up and throw it in and have like a weeks worth of food in fridge.
  • tlflag1620
    tlflag1620 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options

how is pizza or pork/rice not healthy? I can see not being fond of those things but you can still eat those things if you want to,just not as much.

Neither Pizza nor pork and rice is very healthy. That of course depends on how you make it, but regular pizza is crap, it tastes good, but it's crap, don't be fooled because it may have vegetables on it.

so tell me how they arent healthy? there is protein/nutrients in pork,rice has some protein and healthy carbs and other nutrients. how is pizza crap too? I lost weight eating those foods and Im healthier than I was when I was a smaller size. so how are they unhealthy?

The typical pizza that is bought in stores or from delivery places is fatty and greasy. You can make pizza which could be healthy, but generally pizza isn't healthy. It's like saying a cheesecake is healthy. Pork and rice can be healthy, BUT my man wants grandma's home cooking taste which means a TON of grease and love. We all know home cooked meals. Lol. That is what I meant by it.

Fat is not unhealthy. Unless it's trans fats, which admittedly many prepackaged foods rely on. That's where it pays to read ingredient lists. Fat is a necessary nutrient. Nothing wrong with fat (some fats are "essential" meaning your body requires them for survival, but cannot make them, so you need a dietary source), so long as you don't go over on calories.

• Colorscheme
    Colorscheme Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    tlflag1620 wrote: »

Fat is not unhealthy. Unless it's trans fats, which admittedly many prepackaged foods rely on. That's where it pays to read ingredient lists. Fat is a necessary nutrient. Nothing wrong with fat (some fats are "essential" meaning your body requires them for survival, but cannot make them, so you need a dietary source), so long as you don't go over on calories.

Exactly. Pizza actually has a good balance of protein, fat and carbs, especially if you load it up with veggies and other things.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    tlflag1620 wrote: »

Exactly. Pizza actually has a good balance of protein, fat and carbs, especially if you load it up with veggies and other things.

Yep, two slices of peppers & onion pizza with a side of tomato & cucumber salad is an awesome healthy dinner in my book :) The dose makes the poison!

So my vote is - Use your TV dinners for 5 nights a week. Make one night a week a "stay home date" where you find a recipe online and you guys try to cook it together - it'll be fun even if it tastes awful. And on night 7 - order pizza!
  • ogtmama
    ogtmama Posts: 1,403 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I don't know where you are but a few of the pizza pizza small thin crust pizzas clock in around 550 for the whole thing...just an option.
  • ogtmama
    ogtmama Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    And my takeout pizzas are delicious and healthy, broccoli, tomatoes, red peppers, mushrooms and chicken...delicious, and satisfying but oh...the salt :neutral:
  • Bud_
    Bud_ Posts: 116 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    For what it's worth I'll chip in my own experience... It sounds like you've got breakfast and lunch sorted fine, similar to my own. Also, I've effectively been eating TV dinners as my main meal for the last 18 months. I think the key is to make sure they are good quality, well balanced meals. I'm a lazy/terrible cook so I simply have these with microwaveable rice or potatoes and a small tin of mixed veg. So far I've lost more than 100lbs and am currently maintaining and still improving my fitness. I do still have occasional pizzas, burgers etc without a problem. Couldn't be happier!! Good luck :smile:
  • Zombella
    Zombella Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    I'm not going to lie, I love LeanCuisine macaroni and cheese and pizza. Mainly because they are two things that I love to eat, but they are not good for you. No, LeanCuisine isn't the best choice, but if I am on a low fat diet and crave mac and cheese, it is my go-to. I really should give the cheese up entirely.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    Cost is another thing. A lean Cuisine is $6.69 here, and the satay chicken meal I'm having on Saturday cost $7.59. I couldn't afford to eat like that everyday, especially for two of us. No doubt they're much cheaper in the US.

Holy crap. These are usually 3 for $10, sometimes less, at my market.
  • geneticsteacher
    geneticsteacher Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    nowine4me wrote: »

Holy crap. These are usually 3 for $10, sometimes less, at my market.

Double holy crap. 2/$5, sometimes $2 each here.
  • tlflag1620
    tlflag1620 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    Zombella wrote: »
    I'm not going to lie, I love LeanCuisine macaroni and cheese and pizza. Mainly because they are two things that I love to eat, but they are not good for you. No, LeanCuisine isn't the best choice, but if I am on a low fat diet and crave mac and cheese, it is my go-to. I really should give the cheese up entirely.

? Why should you give up cheese entirely? Cheese is a wonderful, tasty source of protein and fat. Unless you don't tolerate dairy, there is no reason to give up cheese.

• WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options

Why are they not good for you? They are portion controlled and usually under 400 calories. Most of the ones I get have meat, starch, and vegetables. How is that different than if I meal prep at home and make grilled chicken, rice, and vegetables and put it in a tupperware to take to work? They can be high in sodium, but if there is not a medical reason to restrict sodium, most people will not have an adverse impact.

Why give up cheese entirely?
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »

Why are they not good for you? They are portion controlled and usually under 400 calories. Most of the ones I get have meat, starch, and vegetables. How is that different than if I meal prep at home and make grilled chicken, rice, and vegetables and put it in a tupperware to take to work? They can be high in sodium, but if there is not a medical reason to restrict sodium, most people will not have an adverse impact.

I think they were actually saying that the mac & cheese and pizza they would otherwise eat are not good for you, so they eat the Lean Cuisine versions instead!

But yeah, why give up cheese entirely? Sometimes it's so good that portion control is hard, but it's worth finding ways to make it fit :)
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »

I think they were actually saying that the mac & cheese and pizza they would otherwise eat are not good for you, so they eat the Lean Cuisine versions instead!

But yeah, why give up cheese entirely? Sometimes it's so good that portion control is hard, but it's worth finding ways to make it fit :)

Ahhh - I totally misread that! That makes more sense, but I still want to know what's wrong with cheese!?
  • Colorscheme
    Colorscheme Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »

Ahhh - I totally misread that! That makes more sense, but I still want to know what's wrong with cheese!?

Nutirionally, nothing. Some people are under the impression that fat from cheese = bad and low fat = good. It's not true, but remember the low fat craze of the 90s?