Wine

Options
2»

Replies

• Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Health isn't about "eat these 5 things and avoid these 5 things" I think you might be confusing click-bait on the internet for health tips.

You can have a glass of wine in the evenings and be perfectly healthy. I mean its alcohol so maybe a little stress to your liver but nothing it can't handle and there are calories in there you'll have to account for if you are tracking your intake, but other than that go for it.

IMO your mental well-being (ie stressed versus not stressed) is going to play a lot more into your health than whether or not you have a glass of wine regularly. If wine helps you relax in the evenings it probably is a good thing. With all things though, done in moderation.
  • ginaDDDD
    ginaDDDD Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I fit my Merlot into my numbers too. Usually 2 glasses. I'm still losing weight but only as long as I log the wine faithfully every time because if you don't then you'll go over your numbers. On wine days I usually don't have breakfast or any snacks to keep within my calorie limit
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    I love wine. Kicked it to the curb in favor of food while in a deficit, but will def work into my maintenance plan.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,958 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    A serving is 5 ounces of wine. 5 ounces is a very small amount. To gain the health benefits from alcohol, stick with one serving.

Problem is, most peoples' serving size is 10 ounces or more - that's just a small wine glass.

Slippery slope. For a woman, the recommended amount of alcohol is to not exceed one drink per day, or seven drinks per week. Above that and you flirt with the downside of alcohol.

The recommendation for women is not more 3 drinks per day and 7 total per week.

Guidelines for moderate alcohol use

If you choose to drink alcohol, do so only in moderation. For healthy adults, that means up to one drink a day for women of all ages and men older than age 65, and up to two drinks a day for men age 65 and younger.

Examples of one drink include:

Beer: 12 fluid ounces (355 milliliters)
    Wine: 5 fluid ounces (148 milliliters)
    Distilled spirits (80 proof): 1.5 fluid ounces (44 milliliters)*

[...and]

For men, heavy drinking is typically defined as consuming 15 drinks or more per week. For women, heavy drinking is typically defined as consuming 8 drinks or more per week.*

*From the CDC and also posted on the MayoClinic site.
    cdc.gov/alcohol/faqs.htm#heavyDrinking
  • Shana67
    Shana67 Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    I have a glass of wine or a cocktail every evening. As long as it fits in with your calorie goals, drink away!! :)
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I have wine most nights. 1-2 glasses. Meh, sometimes three.
    I had wine most nights while I was losing.
    I've had wine most nights all these years while maintaining.

My lifestyle includes wine. That's what makes it a lifestyle: it works for me, and makes me happy.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    A serving is 5 ounces of wine. 5 ounces is a very small amount. To gain the health benefits from alcohol, stick with one serving.

Problem is, most peoples' serving size is 10 ounces or more - that's just a small wine glass.

Slippery slope. For a woman, the recommended amount of alcohol is to not exceed one drink per day, or seven drinks per week. Above that and you flirt with the downside of alcohol.

The recommendation for women is not more 3 drinks per day and 7 total per week.

Guidelines for moderate alcohol use

If you choose to drink alcohol, do so only in moderation. For healthy adults, that means up to one drink a day for women of all ages and men older than age 65, and up to two drinks a day for men age 65 and younger.

Examples of one drink include:

Beer: 12 fluid ounces (355 milliliters)
    Wine: 5 fluid ounces (148 milliliters)
    Distilled spirits (80 proof): 1.5 fluid ounces (44 milliliters)*

[...and]

For men, heavy drinking is typically defined as consuming 15 drinks or more per week. For women, heavy drinking is typically defined as consuming 8 drinks or more per week.*

*From the CDC and also posted on the MayoClinic site.
    cdc.gov/alcohol/faqs.htm#heavyDrinking

This varies a bit by country of course.

http://www.ccsa.ca/Eng/topics/alcohol/drinking-guidelines/Pages/default.aspx

http://cms.livescience.com/54400-alcohol-drinking-guidelines-worldwide.html?_ga=1.205792400.2069955895.1470350419
  • LokiGrrl
    LokiGrrl Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I also love wine and spirits (beer too, but that's a once-in-a-while thing right now). A glass or two of wine or rum or vodka at the end of the day is lovely. Sometimes I add sparkling water to make it last a bit longer. I like the idea about logging it first thing in the morning. It's all about fitting it into your deficit and macros.
  • ACSL3
    ACSL3 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    I have wine some nights and after my dinner I see how many calories I have left and calculate how much wine I can have (or calculate it with dinner, depends on if I'm eating out or at home). I'm someone who generally only has half a glass because I'm such a lightweight ;) I find it fits into my calories just fine
  • thereshegoesagain
    thereshegoesagain Posts: 1,056 Member
    Options
    Red, white, rose', they're all good as long as they fit in your calorie count.
  • mrbullfrog
    mrbullfrog Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Not a wine sipper but I do have 1-2 brews after work everyday myself. It clears the mind and actually suppresses my appetite. Drink more then 3 though and it makes me want to eat everything in sight